*Newsweek - Fibromyalgia: Not All in Your Head*

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ssMarilyn, May 15, 2003.

1. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I just read my Newsweek today and for those of you who don't have this information.......

Thanks to brain-scan technology, this 'imaginary' ailment of 6 million people is proving to be very real.

Fibromyalgia was thought to be imaginary largely because there's no obvious source of pain-no injuries, worn joints or pinched nerves. Instead it's one of a number of poorly understood disorders, such as chronic fatigue and gulf war syndromes, that are caused by "central sensitization"-or imbalances of chemicals and hormones in the nervous system. In fm, sensory messages to the brain are intensified, making even a warm bubble bath feel like torture. Countervailing messages from the brain are too weak to shut off the pain response. The combined effect is to "turn up the volume on pain", says Dr. Daniel Clauw, a rheumatologist and professor of medicine at the University of Michigan.

Clauw used functional MRI scans to provide the first objective proof that fibromyalgia pain is real. In a study published last year, he took 16 sufferers and 16 unafflicted volunteers and applied a small amount of pressure to their left thumbs. In the fm patients, blood rushed to the areas of the brain involved in pain perception. The healthy volunteers might just as well been getting a manicure. Clauw had to double the pressure on them to elicit the same pain response that he saw in the afflicted group.

Researchers have consistently found that patients have three times more of a pain-transmitting chemical called substance P in their spinal fluid and and too little of the pain-reducing chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine.

This magazine is dated May 19 and is not on their website yet, but if you see it at the store, grab it, because it's written proof that this is NOT all in our heads and I'm going to wave my copy in a few faces. I will NOT be giving this magazine to the local old folks home like I do all of our other mags!

Marilyn :)

2. kimo

kimo New Member

HI MARILYN, I POSTED THIS EXACT THING A COUPLE DAYS AGO AND GOT NO RESPONSES SO I JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW THAT I WAS EXCITED ABOUT IT ALSO AND THAT I ACKNOWLEDGE THE WORK YOU PUT IN TO POST THIS. THANK YOU...KIMO
  3. Takesha

Takesha New Member

This is interesting and thank you for posting it. By the way your post to the chit chat board under " Am I the only stupid broad here," gave me a good laugh. For about 2 weeks now I have been trying to remember the name of a lady I used to work with that was considered "stupid" by a lot of her co-workers. I had all but given up...so many things I can't remember these days. When I saw the title of your post and your name it came back to me...her name is Marilyn...I started laughing so hard I had tears...It's the fibro fog thing. It's funny how things will jolt your memory. I hope I haven't offended you, but I thought it was funny.
    Thanks for the post, I called my SO who works at Wal Mart to see if he'll pick up a copy if they have it.
    Takesha
  4. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

It takes a whole lot more serious stuff to offend me. I'm the best when it comes to laughing at myself. If I couldn't do that, I'd go nuts!

Kimo, sorry I didn't see your article. I check out this board several times a day, but don't read all the posts, there's just too many and sometimes the turnover is so fast it's unreal. In any case, it's a good thing more than a couple of us are adding this info to the board, because what some miss, some others will catch!

Jelly, as I noted above, I'm here several times a day and only read articles I think I might be able to add to or share with. I don't recall seeing the post on Newsweek. Maybe the subject line wasn't real attention getting.....just a thought!

Marilyn :)

[ advertisement ]