Nice Kitty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Jul 1, 2008.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

Uhhhh, I don't want to overdo the mountain lion thing, but an update in order.

Came to work today and learned why I haven't seen the two cute goats in a field along the bike path (that I no longer take at night). I fed them an ear of corn last week and met the owner and mentioned the mountain lion.

As you might guess, they got eaten. Well, one broke its neck trying to get away, and the other got its "innards" eaten. The protecting, older dog, just dropped dead of fear, apparently.

I don't know, actually I feel a bit elated that I am spared for now, but will miss the goats. Feel bad for the dog and goat owner.

Meanwhile, have noticed that the half dozen deer that used to hang out in evening across the road last year.....just haven't been around this year:)

So maybe having deer around isn't such a bad thing, even if have a garden. Cheers, your(not the mountain lion's) Mr Bill

Hmmm, the goats were next to a local motel here. I wonder if we fed the Kitty about ten pounds of beef a night it become harmless and become a major tourist attraction? A "Name the Kitty contest"? Rename the motel to Safari Motel?

On the other hand, perhaps best to not mention to the tourists?

(Oh, I'd be glad to give a tour if anyone wants to visit.)

[This Message was Edited on 07/01/2008]
  2. Didoe

Didoe New Member

goats, dogs, deer...somehow a mess'o stew doesnt sound like more than a snack for 'kitty'

you might want to try setting out baited peanut butter and see if that gets rid of kitty....?

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Wow aren't you a LUCKY Fella!,,,,,Sorry to hear about the goats but better them than you!,,,and the Dog too,,,My only Question,,,,is there a Fish and Game Department around there? they would probably remove the Hungry Cat!,,,,,,,S
  4. therealmadscientist

I wouldn't want to get rid of Kitty unless it became dangerous:) lol,bill

BILLCAMO New Member

take another route ! When the other food is gone , you're next. This isn't a fun game of tag......

Sure , I'd be willing to visit you & take the may end up with a fur rug for your front room. Simple.....Survival of the Fittest !

Bye , bye , kitty , kitty..... :>)

Blessings ,

6. therealmadscientist

I've already made several self protective changes. I suppose someone will eventually shoot it, so feel free to stay at the "Safari" motel. Too bad....seems that most everyone else has a pet furry creature, probably mine won't be around long.....unless I hide it in the back bedroom. hmmmm. Naww. silly thought.
  7. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Indeed!! Pet kitty!! I hope you washed after petting the goats, you might still smell like lunch! Yikes!

I thought Mountain Lions are California's animal for the state!! They are protected, and allowed to eat female joggers.
    I'm sure i read in my hubby's hunting mag. that the save the wildlife petta peta people, raised more money for the orphaned cubs than the lady jogger's family got left for her orphaned children.

Gooooooooooooo Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaats!!

Mr. Bill? Mr. Bill? Where are you? MR. BILL!!!!!!! Yoohoo!!??!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/02/2008]
  8. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

goats and heard that was a cougar in the neighborhood, I would put the goats in the barn.

What if you didn't have a barn?

Well, I'd do something. Not that I'd have goats anyway.

9. texangal81

texangal81 New Member

We don't have mountain lions. We have the chupacabra. They eat mountain lions and anything else in their path. You don't want to cross HIM on a midnight bike ride! It is supposedly a heavy creature, the size of a small bear, with a row of spines reaching from the neck to the base of the tail. Most biologists and wildlife management officials view the chupacabra as an urban legend.

Yeah, right, tell THAT to the 8 sheep that were drained of their blood a few years back! So maybe we could capture the chup and send him up there to capture the mountain lion? We'd have to keep him on a chain of course......

Here kitty, kitty, kitty *LOL*.

BILLCAMO New Member

don't want mr. Bill to become a "cat snack".....

Have someone capture the cat and a chup. Ship both of them to Wash. DC and release them on opposite sides of the capital grounds.

HHHHMMMMM , at least 3 problems could be solved that way...LOL

Blessings ,

[This Message was Edited on 07/03/2008]
  11. Didoe

Didoe New Member

you never had goats?
    you knew where to stick 'em during an emergency

my mother had a monkey, in the 50s wealthy women did stupid things like Paris does now, having a tiny puppy dangling from her arm. In the early days it was monkeys and the species was capucchine which are the smaller ones that walk around wth the organ grinder and wear a little hat. I never met him. she had him while she was pregnant with me (she was probably practicing motherhood) and one day, during a terrible storm on Long Island monkey scooted out of a front window and climbed way up into a beech tree and sat there scream ing. with a 9 month belly my mother attempted a short climb to brin him down. she fell and he became frightened and jumped off and away, never seen again. she said she was heartbroken...these in utero tales are interesting and explains many things in my well developed neurotic brain.
  12. therealmadscientist

Somehow, your post raises many more questions than it answers.LOL

All's well here. "Cat snack" is a good name for joggers in the mountains. I hear that one of the docs here was jogging and faced off with one. He had a walking stick so they both backed off.

Guess some guy living by himself in mountains in New Mexico got eaten last week. The door to his trailer was open and the water running, so obviously a bit of a surprise to him.

Well, guess I'll keep everyone posted if something new happens. If something (unlikely!) should happen to me I'm sure you'll read about:) Cheers, Mr Cat Snack?

Oh, was looking up mountain lion photos, and saw some of a mule attacking and killing a mountain lion. I guess the mule mainly grabbed it by the tail and swung it around.
    So I guess grabbing it by tail is the way to kill a mountain lion? (if you are a horse or mule.)

(In the pictures, the saddle was conspicuously empty of any rider.)

13. Didoe

Didoe New Member

sounds like a donkey to share life with is just the ticket

i was in new mexico once and that was too much, strange planet
    alot of double wides dotting a grey green landscape that looked dried up and went no where...and no one seemed to notice

BILLCAMO New Member

but , mr Bill's mule story reminded me of a trick that some country folk play on city folk when they move to the country.

Often , city folk will ask the long time residents what to do if they come face to face with a skunk. With a straight face they are told to run quickly to the skunk , grab it by the tail , swing it 3 times over their head , and then toss it as far away as they can.

Yes , people have actually followed those instructions. For some unknown reason , other people tend to give the "swinger" a wide berth after such an incident occurs.

Some of the city folk move back to the city.....ROFLLMAO

Blessings ,

15. therealmadscientist

I was laughing so much that I had too explain to my co-workers about the "grab and swing" technique for dealing with skunks.

Guess what! It might work!

Anyway, one of my co-workers is a country gal, and she explained that her dad would get skunks out of pig slop by grabbing by its tail.....and quickly dropping elsewhere.

Apparently, they can't arch back and spray (or bite) when lifted by tail.

Hmmmm.....this is one of those theories that may remain a theory for a long time. LOL mr Bill
  16. Didoe

Didoe New Member

well, if nothing else has qualified me as certifiable, the following probably will:

I actually like the smell of skunk spray, dont know why, doesnt 'turn me on' its just strangely comforting and seems familiar.

no I wasn't raised by skunks or in the country.
  17. therealmadscientist

It must be diagnostic of Something if like smell. Come to think of it, I'm getting sort use to it myself. Maybe smell repells cats.

Perhaps you would be interested in testing the "grab the skunk by tail" theory? LOL

18. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

When i was a kid out riding my pony, i caught a baby skunk by the tail and carried it home by the tail.

Never got sprayed, but, some say baby skunks don't spray? So that may not prove the Theory.

And NO i'm NOT willing to try it again as an adult on an adult(skunk). LOL

Althought there are plenty of skunks around here.

BILLCAMO New Member

you can grab a skunk by its tail and it MAY not spray.....but it still can ! Speed is of the essence.

So that is the "honery" part of the trick above. It increases the chance of the "swinger" getting sprayed by at least 10 fold. LOL

And , speaking of essence , the reason the smell of a skunk may be familiar is because many perfumes use skunk oil as an base ingredient. It makes the desired fragrance last much longer.

Blessings ,

PS , an after thought for mr Bill.....Perhaps your extra offering to the Moon god should be a skunk ? Or perhaps not........ LOL.[This Message was Edited on 07/04/2008]