night sweats... come and go?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sweetbeatlvr, Dec 28, 2008.

1. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

just wanted to see what the general consensus of night sweats was, here on the board.

i've started having them again, after a long period without them.

during the time of not having them, i seemed to have less interrupted sleep, and a ltittle less pain.

well, lately, they have come back (ugh!), and i've also noticed my pain is way worse. i'm assuming because of the lack of good sleep.

do people here notice that the night sweats seem to come during pain flares? maybe the sweats cause the flare, or vice verse?

also, it seems like when i wake up from these, i wake up with almost a gasp (!), heart racing, and drenched (!) with sweat. anyone else?
  2. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

what happens to me is I get very cold chilled to the bone and then I will get very hot. I am constantly throwing off the covers and putting them back on in bed. I feel for you possibly if you tell your Dr he can help you. Have you been tested for sleep apenia most FMS patients have sleep disorders. Home you start feeling better.
  3. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

If you are gasping for air when you wake up, get a sleep study done right away. I have sleep apnea and my night sweats and daytime sweats have gone away. Sometimes I get them when I am in pain. But it has improved dramatically. The racing heart is also one of the symptoms. And it can cause alot of other problems medically and life threatening for some. Example-heart attack while sleeping, diabetes. Please try not to drive until you have this test done, it will not be safe for you or others. Our pain does become worse because we are not getting enough oxygen when we sleep. Hugs, Robin
  4. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

When it's bad, I'm totally dripping. I wake up with sweat in my eyes and even running into my ears. I can soak both the pillow and bed. When it's mild, I mostly just soak the pillow and some of my nightshirt.

I never sleep well. And I'm constantly tossing and turning and throwing off the covers.
  5. msSusan

msSusan Member

No one is mentioning how old they are but I had night sweats starting in my early 40's which I assume was the start of perimen. hormone issues.

I am 47 now and do not have night sweats or hot flashes but do have severe PMS issues along with fibro. Notice much more burning achiness/inflamm.(?) mid-cycle till period starts.

I'm actually cold most of the time now even during the warmer weather.

[This Message was Edited on 12/30/2008]
  6. robin1667

robin1667 New Member

sleep apnea can cause hormone issues also. Please everyone look up sleep apnea. There are alot of symptoms. Some have apnea and don't snore. So it's not always a sign of it. My snoring got so bad after surgery to my spine(they went threw the front of my neck)that my boyfriend had to sleep in another room. And my hormones got worse afterwards too. After several months a lung Dr ordered the test for me, because my reg. Dr didn't know about sleep apnea he thought it was allergies(which I have many) and was sent to an allergist who sent me to a pulmonologist.Sleep apnea can sometimes be hereditary I am told. My mother has it too. If you are diagnosed with it, some feel relief right away others feel relief over time. The mask can be annoying,but don't give up. Some machines have a card in them to see if you are using it and it gives the Dr information on your sleep. That being said if you don't use it they can take your driver license away. Because you are a risk to yourself and everyone else on the road, you can fall asleep while driving. Hope this helps. I am not an expert,or in the medical profession, I know from experience. Hugs and get checked out! Robin
    I am 47 yrs old, I was diagnosed last yr. I've had it without knowing for about 15 yrs.
  7. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

i have an appt with a new nurse practioner on monday, and i will definately bring this up to her.

i've never had a sleep study done, i probably do need one. i wasn't aware i snored either.

about the menopause... i had a hysterectomy last year, so i went right into menopause after that. i don't have these sweats during the day, only at night. it's a possibility though.

thanks again.
  8. loto

loto Member

Hi sweetbeatlvr. I too, have night sweats, and mine come and go. They don't always occur when I have a big pain flare up. The other night I had terrible throbbing, burning pain in both arms and hands, especially my left side. I had trouble sleeping, but didn't experience any night sweats then. So, it's a very good question if the pain brings on the sweats or vice versa. I've never experienced the gasping or heart race, but have been drenched with sweat and had chills. It's such an awful way to wake up. I've learned to sleep in light weighted clothes. Sometimes it helps, and sometimes not. Fibromyalgia is such a mysterious thing to me still. I was only diagnosed with it early this year, and find to have different symptoms every month. The latest problem I'm having is with my stomach. I'm determined to find out if my digestive/bowel problems are linked to my Fibromyalgia. Soon to be getting tests done to find out! So, best wishes with your pain flare ups and night sweats.
  9. winsomme

winsomme New Member

a difficult symptom to know the significance of. but i would say if you are having really significant night sweats that it is good that you are getting a check up... there are some serious conditions that this could be a symptom for...

for me, i have never gotten drenching night sweats, but i have gotten them where my T-shirt feels damp in the morning...i have felt/hoped that it was a sign that a particular treatment is working on something (ie an infection) and hopefully that my immune system is starting to work in a more productive manner.

the times that i have gotten them seem related to some of the treatments that i have tried.
  10. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

You may want to ask your Dr. to check your Thyroid. I started having night sweats years ago and went to Dr. to find out it was thyroid related.'s both; thyroid AND hormones; yulk!

I hope you can find out what is causing it all. Take care!

11. tut90

tut90 Member

but what happens to me is that I overheat during the day, I could be just sitting down not doing anything, and all of a sudden I start to get really hot and start having cold sweats. This happens to me several times during the day. Does anyone else with fibro get this?

[This Message was Edited on 12/31/2008]
  12. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

I have night sweats all the time and its very disrupting for my sleep.I dont know what causes them, could be the diabetes, hypothyroid, fibro., menopause... just dont know. It could be medication related with me as I am on morphine several times daily and I know that is one of the side effects stated.Sometimes my heart is also racing but I dont think I gasp for air .I also feel like someones playing with my bodies thermostat all day hot, then cold.. take off layers of clothes then chill and put them back on. Same at night with the blankets.ugg get so tired of it all.Just want to feel normal! God Bless
  13. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

In many lists of FM symptoms it is just a symptom of FM. I have had them for years and years, way past menopause. Mine happen more when I am in pain.