NIGHT SWEATS

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease Archives' started by pumpkinpatch, Jun 2, 2006.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

During the last few months while on abx. I've been waking up at night with drenching night sweats. Anyone else with this? It's really uncomfortable. During the day I'm fine, no sweating.
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

He also had sweats but for him, it would only be his head that sweated - he'd awaken to find only his pillow drenched!

We were told it was indicative of babeosis co-infection, even tho his bloodwork did not show it. The meds used for this are same as for malaria as Babeosis is a parasite - and very expensive.

While sweating decreased, he hasn't shown much other symptom resolution.... about to begin protocol for bartonella as it can cause a lot of problems with cognitions....

Hope you have a good LLMD!?!

hope this helps,
    Victoria

3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I have total body, head, hair sweating. My hair is total frizz in the morning!! I think my LLMD is leaning towards babs but I never had this before I started abx and it's getting worse.
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

would probably say you are experiencing a herx...

and/or maybe with the Lyme being treated, the babeosis is able to become more obvious....?

--the latter being just pure speculation and imagination on my part. I have heard it is like peeling off the layers of an onion in terms of symptoms and treatment of lyme and co-infections.

It will be interesting to see what he says.

Victoria

[This Message was Edited on 06/02/2006]
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Thank you Victoria. Nice to have feedback on these issues. I never thought possible herx or babs coming out. How is your son doing? I know my hormones were low last summer but wouldn't I have hot flashes during the day if it were hormonal. I'm on the patch and progesterone.
  6. jarjar

jarjar New Member

I presumed it a reaction of your body fighting off the infection. I've always heard that your body temp rises while fighting off an infection.
    You immune system really goes to work while you are sleeping at night so that could explain it.
    I do realize nite sweats is part of babs.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2006]
  7. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

These are things I've never thought of. My body temperature rising to fight off the bacteria sure makes sense. I do know that during the day my body temperature has risen. I was as low as 95 at times now I'm hitting 98!! ha yoo

8. victoria

victoria New Member

I read somewhere that as body temps rise the abx can penetrate body tissues better...

V

9. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

My LLMD phoned me today and he wants me to treat for babesia. Going to check with my insurance provider to see if they cover mepron.
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

it is quite horribly expensive... there is another RX that is less expensive that is supposed to work, will look it up for you if you want.

Also artemesinin should be taken as well, along with abx...

keep us posted!
    Victoria

11. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Oh yes please do look it up. I just e-mailed my LLMD because the insurance provider said mepron only with "Special Authorization". I highly doubt it would be covered. The LLMD told me $1,200. month! Yikes.

I asked him for a replacement med.

Thanks Victoria. You are so helpful
  12. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Found out today that Mepron will be covered by my insurance!! I gave them the DIN number and the clerk called me back and said it was covered!! Happy

13. victoria

victoria New Member

Are you also being told to take artemesinin, I hope?

V

14. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Yes, night sweats are a big indicator of babesiosis, even with negative bloodwork. The testing for babs isn't terribly reliable and only tests for 2 out of about 100 suspected strains of it.

Do you have other babs symptoms like horrendous headaches and stiff neck? Those are big babs indicators, too.

I started treatment for babs (in addtion to Lyme) 3 weeks ago --Ketek (which is for both lyme and babs), Mepron, and Artemisinin in addition to the Bicillin shots that I have been doing... so far, the results have been amazing! I wake up without a headache most days now, for the first time in years. I still get the night-sweats sometimes, but they are not as bad as before, and some nights I don't have them at all. Even the stiff neck that I have had for nearly 20 years is starting to go away ---- praises for Mepron, Ketek, and Artemisinin!!!!

Mepron can be tough on a lot of people --- I've been very blessed to have no negative reactions at all -- but it is a strain on the liver (so are many abx), so be sure to have regular checks of your liver-enzyme levels.

BTW -- I know that Ketek is getting a lot of bad press right now, and for good reason -- the FDA approval process was really shaky, and it has been linked to liver failure in several people. It is really, really important to take care of your liver when taking a lot of rx drugs -- regular enyzyme levels, liver support supplements, NO ALCOHOL at all, etc. Several of the people with liver failure ignored the warning about not drinking alcohol while on Ketek....

I hope you feel better soon!
  15. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

My night sweats have stopped!!! I've been on mepron and zith for 1-1/2 weeks. So far so good. Now if I could just get over this all over pain and stiffnsss.
  16. minimonkey

minimonkey New Member

Give it time -- pain and stiffness can and do go away, but sometimes it takes a while. I hope you feel much, much better very soon. I'm glad the sweats are gone (at least for now... I know mine come and go) and that you are tolerating the drugs well --