Nightly hip pain!!! HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Frustratedandtired, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Frustratedandtired

Frustratedandtired New Member

Ok my rheumy has me on Prozac for now since I just started going to see him. I doubled the dose after a month which he told me to do if the pain persisted. So now I'm on about 2 weeks at 40 mg a day and no relief! My hips burn and throb so badly at night, I can't remember the last time I had a halfway good nights sleep. Does anybody else have this problem and is there anything I can do (i.e. lay in a certain position, put pillows in a certain place) to relieve this pain for now. Thanks
  2. ginnytex

ginnytex New Member

MY NAME IS GINNYTEX, I HAVE DX FOR 2 YEARS NOW, I TOO HAVE THE PROBLEMS GETTING COMFORTABLE SLEEPING. MY KIDS FOUND A WONDERFUL PILLOW AND GOT IT FOR ME FOR XMAS. IT IS SHAPED LIKE A HORSEHOE , BUT IS THE LENGTH OF YOUR BODY. WHEN YOU TURN IT MOLDS IN BEHIND YOU AND SUPPORTS ALL THOSE PLACES THAT DON'T HIT THE BED. IT IS WONDERFUL. THEY BOUGHT ON THE INTERNET FROM SKYMALL MAGAZINE THEY FOUND ON A PLANE, BUT I HAVE SEEN SAME ONE AT A BACK STORE.HAS SAVED MY LIFE, I SLEEP MUCH BETTER
  3. Frustratedandtired

I'll look into getting one of those.
  4. Frustratedandtired

It is horrible and when I try to sleep in, it's useless. My doc hasn't given me any "real" pain meds yet. Probably because I told him I hate them. But I'm thinking I might have to learn to tolerate them. I am exhausted!
  5. tandy

tandy New Member

Hip pain worse at night.

so far its been just 1 hip(my Left).
    I added one of those foam egg crate mattress pads and that helps some. But still,... after sleeping for a couple of hrs I always need to shift or change positions.

Try using a pillow of any kind between your knees.(if you sleep on your side) that will alighn your hips better so theres not so much of a pull on the hip joint.
    That seems to help me on bad nights.
    That,and pain meds.

My doc. mentioned possibly trying the pain patches if it continues to bother me much.
    Hope your pain eases
    :) Tandy
  6. lea

lea Member

tested. And do a google search if you wish.
    best,
    lea
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

He can't possibly believe that Prozac alone is appropriate treatment for this kind of pain. Rheumies typically aren't the best docs to be treating our illnesses although, there are exceptions.

Love, Mikie
  8. Mamalovinit

Mamalovinit New Member

I have night and day hip pain. I know it is just horrible. My x-rays also show nothing. I can't help though because I am hurting with you.

M
  9. sleepless_in_tx

sleepless_in_tx New Member

I have had really bad pain in my left hip for some time now, sometimes it wakes me up at night it's so bad. X-rays also showed nothing...I wish I had an answer for you, I haven't been able to find any relief yet either. I'm also on antidepressants(Cylexa and Wellbutrin) as well as Lodine. I've been prescribed lots of sleeping pills but I don't like taking them since they make me feel so tired the next day. You might not have the same reaction.
    Take care
  10. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

If you sleep on your side, there are specially designed leg pillows that will do a better job of aligning your hips and legs and stay in place better than a regular pillow. Mine is made by Core Products International, Inc. of Osceola, WI.
  11. cosmoo

cosmoo New Member

Well I went thru this also. My second time in complaining about it my Rhumy said it could be bursitis. So he gave me an injection into the Bursas sacks in both hips-not really painful at all and told me if the pain got better in 24 hours it was bursitis if it didn't unfortunaly it was probably the FM and all we could do is try to get the pain level down and get past this flare up with a different med. For me it did turn out to be bursitis-so painful! I have now learned to tell the difference between it flaring up and my FM flaring there. You may want to ask your Rhumey about this.
    Take care
    [This Message was Edited on 02/28/2006]
  12. janiemac

janiemac New Member

and finally decided to try one of those thick featherbed toppers. What a huge difference. I don't wake up all night long from being in pain. My husband doesn't like it so I just got a twin size and cover it with a thick sheet and it's pure heaven. much better than anything else I have tried. ANd believe me after 15 years with this mess I have tried lot's. Good luck,