Nightmare at the airport

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jenn_c, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I was in another state for a board meeting. After 4 days of intense meetings I was more then ready to come home. I had a delay with my flight for about 5 hours. So that pushed my departure time to 11 pm. I was sitting at the gate waiting and fell asleep. No one tried to wake me and I missed the flight. To my horror I woke up at 12:10 am and realized I was alone. I was scared out of my mind. Now I have another meeting in September and I am afraid to go, but I refuse to lose anything more to this disease. That is the other thing that gets me, why do they call it a disorder? It makes it sound like it is not very bad.
  2. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

Put it on vibrate and in your pocket and hopefully you will wake up. I'm sorry that happened to you.
  3. simonedb

simonedb Member

this is the only way I can travel anymore--I leave in later morning, I have a couple/few hours lay overs in between connecting flights than I scope out the airport for somewhere to lie down for halfhour or hour, because I am usually going from midwest to one of the coasts. There are rarely couches or long enough benches so I am forced to find a carpeted area without traffic sometimes which is often a gate seating area that isnt being used then I just read. I don't care if it looks dumb, for all they know I came from across the world. But it sure helps me on the next flight.

I have to build time like that into everything I do daily or I suffer and its not worth it, I can't think as well and it hurts.
  4. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I also must travel for work. My experiences have also been bad.

You might consider taking a travel companion on future trips.

Another warning, if by chance you ever go through the Miami airport, (or any other large airports), you might consider asking for a airport attendant to assist you. When you book your flight you make this request.

I do this because of my husband. Basically when you get off the plane they are waiting with a wheelchair and will get you to baggage the customs if necessary - and on to your connection.

On my last biz trip I came through Miami. The flight to Miami (from St. Martin) had been delayed, therefore we came within seconds of missing our connecting flight from Miami to Los Angeles.

Even with a 3 hour layover, due to the delay, it was a nightmare. Had I not arranged for the airline to help, we would not have made it.

The young man had my husband in a wheelchair and was literally fast tracking us through everything. At the last moment, the plane was literally waiting for us, and I was at the food concession to get food as we had not eaten since leaving our original location. My husband is diabetic and I could not get on another long flight with no food.

I guess I am saying, don't be bashful to ask the airline to help you. They have very nice young people who are dedicated to helping passengers. I usually tip them well because they are incredible.

If you have a problem falling asleep, I would check in with the airline personnel at the gate before sitting down to wait for the departure. Ask them to please make sure you get on the plane because you might fall asleep.