NIGHTSHADES more than tomato can cause Arthritis AND MORE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by victoria, Jun 30, 2007.

1. victoria

victoria New Member

Let me first say, I don't know for sure every bit of this is true, as he cites no references, but it sure is interesting and sounds reasonable ... and shouldn't be hard to research any points that cause questions.

And of course it IS known that for many with arthritis, avoiding nighshade plant foods helps.

I cut a bit & and re-arranged a bit as to what, imho, was most interesting (at least to me LOL); especially interesting to me is the part about potatos--- geez, no wonder I've always loved fried/baked potato skins!

This is from a British site called Organic Foodee. All cap words in midsentence and exclamation points are mine.:

Nightshade Foods
    by Craig Sams

In the diet of Europe and Asia, only one nightshade food was eaten until recent times: the 'aubergine' or eggplant. Other nightshades such as ...belladonna and mandrake were well known but their use was restricted to specific medical applications (sedative, anesthetic or poison) or in witchcraft.

Then, in the 1600s and 1700s food and drug crops based on nightshades were imported from the Americas and ... become ubiquitous in the Western diet.

They all contain nicotine in some form, although it may be named solanine (potatoes), tomatine (tomatoes), alpha-solanine (aubergine) or solanadine (chillies and capsicums).

It is now apparent that there are groups of people who cannot tolerate nightshades in their diets, wish to avoid them anyway or find that eliminating them helps alleviate a VARIETY of MENTAL, EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL PROBLEMS.

The following groups of people avoid nightshades.

People with arthritis -
    Some researchers believe that arthritis is misdiagnosed in people who are in fact just suffering joint aches and swelling arising from consumption of nightshades. ONE IN THREE arthritics react badly to nightshades.

These individuals frequently have a sensitivity to the solanine chemicals present in these foods. It can take up to SIX MONTHS of exclusion of nightshades from the diet to achieve a beneficial effect.

Eczema -
    ...for some children the elimination of nightshades from the diet helps clear eczema, particularly around the mouth.

Gastro Esophogal Reflux disease -
    consumption of nightshade vegetables, particularly tomatoes, can causes a reaction where the stomach contents are pushed back up the esophagus towards the throat with symptoms of heartburn, chest pain, choking while lying down and asthma symptoms when sleeping.

Blood group diet -
    Dr. Peter d’Adamo’s Blood Type Diet recommends people of blood types A and B to avoid all nightshade foods. This represents about half the population of most European countries.

Cystitis, lupus, psoriasis -
    giving up nightshades can help relieve symptoms of (all 3 of these).

SO WHAT IS NICOTINE (solanine), the active alkaloid in nightshades? What are its effects? --

Nicotine acts as an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor.

What are acetylcholinesterase inhibitors?

The chemical that transmits nerve impulses from one nerve ending to the next is acetylcholine - once it has transmitted a nerve impulse it has done its job and is no longer needed so it is broken down by an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase and recycled.

Nictotine/Solanine (or tomatine from tomatoes) slows the production of this acetylcholinesterase, so acetylcholine isn’t broken down as fast as it’s being produced.

Acetylcholine builds up causing a ‘traffic jam’ of stimulation at the receptor nerve endings. Or think of an orchestra where notes are played and then don’t stop playing.

The nerve endings become overstimulated. At low levels this is mildly pleasurable and blurs sensitivity, but too much can be harmful.

This overstimulation can lead to muscle weakness, muscle twitching, hypertension, increased intestinal contractions and increased secretions of tear, sweat, saliva, gastric and intestinal glands.

All nightshade foods contain solanine, a strong acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. This is what makes excessive consumption of nightshade foods unsuitable for many people.

Certain pesticides, particularly organophosphate and carbamates, also work as acetylcholinesterase inhibitors, achieving the same effect as solanine or nicotine. That’s why they replaced nicotine as the insecticide of choice after World War 2, when organophosphates were used as nerve gas.

For a diet that seeks to maintain a strong and healthy nervous and neuromuscular system there is considerable evidence that the safest approach is to avoid nightshade vegetables and to eat food that is grown without the use of carbamate or organophosphate pesticides, i.e. organic food.

Before the discovery of chemical pesticides, nicotine was a widely used insecticide. It kills insects in the same way, but chemical sprays are cheaper and longer-lasting.

Until they were replaced by hormones and antibiotics, organophosphate pesticides were also used by livestock farmers as growth-promoters -

!!!!!!! the mechanism whereby they cause muscle weakness and increase secretions of digestive fluids ALSO causes animals to EXERCISE LESS AND EAT MORE !!!!! thereby fattening them up more quickly.

(So if you're trying to lose weight, I guess the conclusion would be to eat organice at the very least?!)

Why do people love nightshades?
    What is it that makes tobacco so addictive? Why is it that sometimes only chips will do, or we are gagging for a pizza?

Nicotine, in small quantities, by inhibiting the breakdown of acetylcholine, stimulates increased activity of the acetylcholine receptors in the brain and this leads to increased flow of adrenaline. This increases the heart rate, blood pressure and leads to increased blood glucose levels.

This mild increase in energy level is achieved, along with a reduced nervous sensitivity; producing a combination of calmness and stimulation. This provides short term relief in the face of the stresses and pressures of modern life. In the longer term it puts a strain on the nervous system as the receptors are being overstimulated.

What are the Nightshade foods?
    How do they differ from each other?
    What are their origins?

Potatoes
    Potatoes were elevated in status when the celebrated Parmentier produced... delicious potato recipes in 1785 to help relieve famine in Paris. Potatoes were cheap food for the masses - a worker could be fed from a quarter as much land if (fed) potatoes instead of grain. Nonetheless, the French Revolution took place 4 years later.

Traditionally potatoes were kept in paper sacks and sold unwashed. This practice protected them from direct sunlight. The modern practice of washing potatoes and packing them in plastic bags allows light to affect the potato and stimulate its production of solanine, the nightshade alkaloid that, in nature, sickens animals that might dig up potatoes for food.

In 1976 the Department of Health (I believe this info is talking about the U.K.), concerned about high levels of anencephaly and spina bifida, urged pregnant mothers to WEAR RUBBER GLOVES when preparing potatoes and to discard in their entirety any potatoes that showed signs of greening or of blight (black streaks in the potato). It is not enough to simply remove the discolored part - the entire potato should not be eaten.

The solanine in potatoes is 4 times greater in the SKIN than in the rest of the potato. The fatal dose of solanine for an adult is 200-250 mg depending on body weight. . .

Potato peels have been found to contain up to 180 mg of solanine per 100g, so a person consuming 150-200g of deep fried potato peels with a high solanine content could be at considerable risk. (no wonder I always loved them?!?)

Potatoes that have been properly stored and are from low solanine varieties will only contain 7 mg/100g.

In 1996 the Committee on Toxicity stated that potatoes should not be eaten if they still taste bitter after the green parts and sprouts have been removed. However, few people taste-test a raw potato once it is peeled to assess its bitterness.

Although spina bifida prevention now focuses on preconceptual consumption of folic acid, the world’s highest incidence of spina bifida is in Ireland, where the wet climate encourages late potato blight.

A study in Belfast showed that mothers who had given birth to a child with spina bifida or anencephaly could reduce the risk of a similar defect in the second child by 50% if they maintained a potato-free diet.

Peppers and Capsicums
    Peppers and capsicums were rare in the Western diet until the 1980s, when they became widely available as fresh vegetables and, in their hotter forms, in Asian cuisine and as hot sauce.

Chilis replaced peppercorns in Indian cuisine from the 1650s onwards, after Portuguese traders brought plants and seeds from Brazil. Hot peppers are rich in capsaicin, which creates a burning sensation that affects pain receptor cells and causes them to release endorphins, the body’s natural opiate-like painkillers, that create a temporary feeling of euphoria. Peppers and capsicums also contain solanine and solanadine, the nicotine compounds that are unique to nightshade plants.

Tomatoes
    Tomatoes were first brought to Europe from Mexico by Cortez and were first cultivated for food in Naples. The English regarded them as poisonous until the 1700s.

They were introduced in America as an ornamental garden plant in 1808, but were not eaten as they were believed to cause stomach cancer and appendicitis. The botanical name for tomatoes ‘Lycopersicon’ means ‘wolf peach’ and refers to the association between werewolves, witchcraft and nightshades.

Then, in 1820, Colonel Robert Johnson defied the advice of his physicians and ate tomatoes on the steps of Salem Courthouse, New Jersey, in front of a crowd of 2000 witnesses, the local sheriff waiting to arrest him for suicide. He survived and people began slowly to accept tomatoes as food.

In the US and Northern Europe they really took off as food with the introduction of canning and canned soups and then rose again with the expansion of consumption of pizza and pasta in the past 30 years.

2. ladude

ladude New Member

most interesting....avoiding those foods seems to have helped me but I also do supplements for the problem so it is not a controlled experiment. It takss little work to avoid nightshaders so why not.

thanks
    LAdude
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I had significant improvement in both my arthritis & fibro soft-tissue pain following nightshade removal. I consider my own personal experiment semi-scientific, having done a 3-week baseline twice-daily assessment of inflam, pain & swelling in all joints & muscle groups, before starting the diet. After 2 weeks on the diet, my average pain & inflam scores were 1/3 of what they had been during the baseline. Not a perfect cure, but definitely worth the effort for me.

Many people are not aware that the majority of soy grown in the USA is genetically modified with petunia genes added. This confers nightshade characteristics on the GMO'd product. Therefore, people who do discover that they are nightshade sensitive often find that using organic, rather than conventional, soy products, is also helpful.

BTW, my understanding is that onions & garlic are nightshade-free veggies.

Best wishes to all.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Just got this in an e-mail from Nanna. Does it matter whether the veggies are raw or cooked? I just forwarded this to a friend whose daughter came down with severe RA overnight. She's a smoker and loves her potatoes, so I don't know whether she'll give these things up. Thanks for posting it. I've all but given up potatoes because they spike insulin and about the only other thing I eat is a small amount of tomatoes in a salad now and then.

Love, Mikie
  5. victoria

victoria New Member

I sometimes wonder about if cooking makes a difference for at least maybe some --

Because I always remember my Dad being able to eat cooked tomatoes but not raw, he said by the time he was about 25 he realized that raw tomatoes made his knee ache! For some reason, for him, cooked was ok... other than that he was very lucky man, had no aches/pains (until he got hit by a bicycle at 72!)

(the website for this originated on the yahoo CFAlliance list, btw... they often post good FYIs! and I always try to pass on the more interesting ones.)

I can absolutely sympathize with giving up favorite foods... I absolutely love wine, cheese, and bread... and found I was definitely allergic to all 3 due to candida. Worse than sugar, too! even tho I've had to always watch that too.

Thankfully, if I'm very very good 95% of the time, I can occasionally indulge without repercussions tho.

all the best,
    Victoria

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

About the cooked versus raw tomatoes. Cooked tomatoes are so good for our eyes. Actually, that's why my eye doc wanted me to drink a beer or glass of wine each day. I have moderately high pressure in my eyes but not Glaucoma. Evidently, alcohol helps. I can tolerate about half a glass of wine now but have been avoiding it since I got this bladder infection.

Noticed that it is getting hot up in your neck of the woods. Today is Andy's second birthday and they have gone to their condo in the CO mtns. It's going to be in the 90's today in Denver and close to 100 there tomorrow. It must be driving my ex nuts as he hates the heat. I was supposed to go to CO for the birthday, a family reunion on my SIL's side, and to enjoy the Fourth. Well, it's a good thing I didn't go because this bladder infection has been making me miserable. Also, I'm smack in the middle of working with the state vocational rehab counseling and didn't feel I should reschedule my initial appt. I have a job interview tomorrow for part-time customer service. I think it's going to be one of those large group interview sessions, but it looks like the kind of work I would enjoy and could do part time.

Hope you and yours are doing well. Take care.

Love, Mikie
  7. Suze

Suze New Member

Interesting! Thanks for posting.

I have a severe allergy to potatoes in their raw state. It developed in my 30s, and got worse to the point where I stopped cooking (and eating) potatoes and can't be in someone else's kitchen if they're peeling them.

In recent years I came to the VERY reluctant conclusion that tomatoes and peppers were affecting my joints. We used to have a huge vegetable garden in which I grew five or six varieties of tomatoes and several peppers. I've given up so many favorite foods over the years, but thought I could have all the tomatoes and peppers I wanted. Wrong again. :-(

I yielded to temptation and impulsively bought a couple of tomato plants this spring. I'll probably regret it, but then I can always give the tomatoes away...

Suze
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The cream to rub on arthritic joints, Capsazion, (sp?) is made from hot peppers.

Love, Mikie
  9. victoria

victoria New Member

I was thinking about that too Mikie! I wonder if lycopene by itself is a bad thing tho.

It's actually only been 68 today! due to the clouds, altho very little rain -- actually none today! Funny how mid-continental can be hotter than the south -- had a friend once leaving here for Chicago, it was 95 here and a record 106 in Chicago, and I don't think the night she got home dropped below high 80s, if that. Well, the silver lining is usually the heat just doesn't last as long, LOL!

SUZE, that really sounds like bad allergies! My daughter's BF was a cook, had an allergy to mango that crossed over to latex (wore latex gloves every day at his job) and ended up extremely reactive to many foods... for about 18 months he had a list of 8-10 foods he could eat if he rotated them.

2 years later, he is doing much better, has been able to carefully expand his menu but still requires experimentation and still has to take an epi pen with him everywhere, so still has to be careful. He is also an artist, and has to wear a respirator in order to pain with acrylics even.

So, hope your tomato-eating experiment goes well... just don't over-do!

best,
    Victoria