Nightshades, Solanine, and Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Suze, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Suze

Suze New Member

I just did a search on this board for Nightshades, and then for Solanine, and found nothing. This surprised me. Surely at least nightshades have been discussed. Perhaps those messages are on the old board?

Anyway, solanine is a toxin present in the nightshade family of foods (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, and eggplant) and in a few others. After a rather dramatic lesson I learned this week, I'm thinking it's possible solanine has played a bigger role in my fibromyalgia than I had realized.

I knew I get a terrible reaction to solanine. All I have to do is inhale it--if I"m close to raw potatoes--and I'm in trouble. But a couple of days ago, fter eating a couple of artichokes--a food I never suspected of causing a problem--I had a full-blown FM attack and was barely functional. I had also eaten okra (in soup) for a few days. Then I learned that both vegetables contain solanine.

Perhaps some of you react to this toxin and don't realize it. I wrote my experience up in more detail in my blog:

2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

I talked about my experience on the "old prohealth board." Nightshades flare up both my fibro and arthritis. Even exposure to second-hand cigarette smoke will cause my joints to start swelling within 10 minutes.

I think that many fibro sufferers could get a measure of relief through dietary intervention. However, it may be that the "dietary offender" is not the same for each individual. But I'm with you: more attention should be devoted to those nasty nightshades.

Best wishes.

3. discoverygal

discoverygal New Member

I have never even heard of Nightshades. I also have a hard time trying to figure out what causes my flairs. Do you keep a journal? I keep a very minimal one, but I will include foods now. Thanks for the info.

What other foods effect our pain?
  4. Suze

Suze New Member

It's such an individual thing, Discoverygal. Keeping a food journal is certainly a good idea. I have other food issues as well, unrelated to FM, and it seems my diet gets more limited every year.

Even after decades of dealing with FM, I still can't identify what causes every flare. Some of my common triggers are:

overdoing physical activity on good days - even if that means just walking down the block too fast, or trying on too many clothes in a store

not enough sleep

emotional stress

And then sometimes it's just a mystery.

Good luck identifying yours.

5. JaneSmith

JaneSmith New Member

Omitting them never helped. :(
  6. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

NOW because 80% of US soy is GMO -- and modified with a petunia (nightshade) gene. So doing an NF diet also requires attention to the type of soy allowed. Organic soy products are generally non-GMO.

Many nightshade sensitive people are also sensitive to GMO corn products.

Best wishes.
  7. Suze

Suze New Member

Wow--that is very good to know, SnooZQ. I eat a lot of soy. Time to start checking labels.

Thanks! I appreciate that information.