NMH POTS and laying down tests

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeaBisqit, Jun 25, 2009.

1. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

I went for an MRI today and I couldn't do it. They don't know enough about what happens to someone with severe NMH/POTS when you make them lay on that kind of table. As it is, when I lay down, most of the time, my heart will start to race and it takes awhile for me to be okay. That kind of MRI table just had my heart racing so bad that I felt if I didn't make them stop immediately, I was going to get a heart attack from it. And this wasn't entirely a panic attack. The table is slightly tilted, so it was like the tilt table test. Then, on top of that, no one said anything to me prior about the hokey mask thing they put over your head. Between that and the confinement of being in so tight I really couldn't move my arms, there was no way. And then add the loud noise on top to someone who is sound sensitive. They tried ear plugs on me, the machine was just too loud even with them. To me, this was like a medieval torture device. So, I made them stop.

I don't think I can even do an open one again. I just can't do any of them. And the thing is, I'm pretty sure she is right and I do have the pituitary tumor because I've suspected it for years. But I don't care if I die or whatever, I'm not doing this again. And I really believe if I hadn't stopped it, something was going to happen with my heart. You just know your own body.

This was one of the worst experiences of my life. They really found the one thing I can't do.
  2. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

Sounds like you had a terrible experience. I get a lot of anxiety in enclosed spaces, including elevators, but it sounds like you were going through something more.

What struck me is that you seemed to be saying that the laying down was affecting you. Is that right?

I have POTS, OH, diagnosed by tilt table test (which to me, is the worst test I've ever taken). Laying down is preferable to me. It's the standing up that I can't do for long. I've had MRI's - which I didn't like mostly because of the noise and the confinement, but I don't remember being tilted at all.

I hope they can locate the tumor if you have one. I've read that you could find great relief if they remove it. What else can they do to help diagnose it?

Much luck,

3. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

If I'm standing, I can get the racing heart and irregular heartbeat. But I also get it if I've been standing and then lay down. Laying flat seems to bring it on. I do feel better if I'm laying down for a long period of time, but it's the initial transition from standing to laying down that can trigger the racing heart.

I have no idea what my doc is going to do. I'm waiting to hear from her office. But I'm not doing any more of these horrible tests. I've really had it.
  4. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

This must be really frustrating for you. I know if they wanted me to do another tilt table test I would probably refuse, so I understand your fear of going back in for the MRI.

Maybe some of what Kamina suggested would help.?. I wonder if Xanax would calm your system enough to do it. Also lying down for 10 min or so, on the MRI table before they start the procedure. I don't know. I would hate to be forced to do a test that made me feel that badly. Let us know how this turns out.

Take good care,

5. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

How about asking your doctor if you can have this test done while sedated?