NMH

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cherylarch, Jan 20, 2003.

1. cherylarch

cherylarch New Member

I am new to this site and have just searched past messages for NMH info. A person named Barbara (Teach6) seems to have symptoms just like mine and in one msg listed her meds.I would like to ask Barbara some questions about Proamatine and Florinef -- or anyone else who might know. Can these meds be taken at the same time? I have taken one or the other with only moderate success. Any other suggestions for helping with NMH would be greatly appreciated. I live in central FL in the winter and have not found a dr here with whom I am comfortable. My dr in Columbus, OH has educated himself about my CFIDS/FM/NMH, but even he can't get the NMH under control. Looking for help!

Cheryl
  2. annab

annab Guest

I take both proamatine and florinef at the same time. My doctor has me on 10 mg proamatine twice a day, and .1 mg florinef every other day. I also haven't had much success. I also drink extra water, and use extra salt. I also wear medical stockings, at least 30-45 weight are required. Each of the above only helps a little. The best websites are www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/gcrc/adc/index.html and www.nymc.edu/fhp/centers/syncope/jsmain.htm and www.ndrf.org
    and www.potsplace.com
    Hope this helps
    Anna
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2003]
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2003]
  3. cherylarch

cherylarch New Member

Thank you so much for your info. After reading many msgs on this site, it seems as if there is no truly effective treatment for nmh yet. I will check out the sites you recommended.
  4. pamj

pamj New Member

I have tried the both. The Florinef caused my BP to drop down to 70/40, and I felt horrible. It obviously wasn't right for me. Then I tried the Promatine and it gave me horrible headaches & an itchy, tingly feeling all over my head. I tried to tolerate it for a couple of weeks (scratching my head a lot!), but my BP didn't increase at all.

I seem to have the best results increasing fluid intake and salt. When my BP is very low, I drink a big glass of Gatorade or have soup with extra salt. They usually pick me up within a half hour, and keep me from having a fainting spell.

I hope this helps.

take care,
    Pam :)