No Children Allowed At Our Hospital

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mysticbrit, Nov 4, 2009.

1. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

My hubby just had cataract surgery today and when we arrived at the hospital there was a huge sign stating that no one under the age of 18 were allowed to visit any patients.

This is being done to prevent the transmission of the H1N1 virus. We live in Wisconsin and this is the first time I've ever seen this type of caution.

My grandkids haven't been offered the immunization yet. Supposedly it will be offered mid-November. My daughter won't let her 2 boys get it, my son can't wait for his daughter to get it. The boys are 13 & 15, grandaughter is 12.

I honestly don't know how I feel about it, I wish I felt more secure about the safety factor. But, is the risk of not getting the shot greater than the chance one of them will get the flu.

Just kind of venting my frustration.

2. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

I think many are feeling these frustrations and unsure of the immunization.

My grandkids parents have decided not to have their children given the H1N1 vaccine due to they feel not enough facts known of this.

You're right as wishing to feel more secure about the safety factor. It's all so uncertain.

i don't live in Wisconsin but many states are asking do not bring children to visit hospitals.
    Our local news has been announcing No Children Allowed at Local hospital to visit due to this flu. This flu is causing numerous deaths.

i understand your venting, their is much frustration for these parents to make these decisions for their children.

Live Life Well
  3. jole

jole Member

When I worked as a nurse for years, it was not uncommon to have restricted visitation during flu season, so this does not suprise me. Whether the majority of the cases are simply the flu or H1N1, it is too widespread this year to not be cautious. I for one would certainly feel better as a patient knowing the hospital was trying to keep sick visitors out. Although it's amazing how many people think it just applies to the "other person".

I don't understand why so many people can't use common sense when having the flu. It's the old "if I have it, so can they" attitude. I had a sis-in-law that was like that.

Yes, it's a tough time to be a parent of young kids.......hard decisions to be made........
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

"Every jab know to man"? How about jabberwoky? (Smiling out loud.)

I have decided to leave it up to luck. Looking back over the decades, I've
    decided the most important factor in life is luck.

I can remember over 6 decades ago. I was five. My little brother was
    born in a hospital, but I wasn't allowed in to see him. My mother held
    him up to the window. Considering the distance and the lightening,
    he pretty much looked like a blob.

Still does. Haha! Actually he looks just like me. An old Norwegian troll.

Historical note: recently read that in the mid 20th century, most people
    were still born at home.

5. rocky76

rocky76 Member

when I was 15 years old and the age limit at the Hospital was 16 so I never said good bye to him....except thru the window....he was there for one whole month.....
  6. mysticbrit

mysticbrit New Member

I just went to pick up a couple of books at the library and was shocked to see people lined up at the door stretching for at least a city block. I couldn't believe my eyes. At first I thought there was something bad going on since there were cop cars right outside the doors.

Turns out they were having a H1N1 clinic for what the library aid said was "a select group". Not exactly sure what the "selection" process was but there were a lot of young children. Perhaps these were children not yet in school. I know my grandkids haven't had their immunization dates at school yet.

My neighbor told me that a young local woman (late 30's) died last week from the H1N1 flu. She started with a slight cough and within hours had a fever of 109. She was otherwise very healthy. She didn't fit the criteria they're selecting for immunization- scary stuff.

I remember when I was a kid and my grandmother (who raised me) was in the hospital for a heart attack and I wasn't allowed to visit her because I was too young. I was so afraid that I'd never get to see her again.

Not sure when the rules changed but I think some restrictions are good. I've been hospitalized twice this year and it's a madhouse, people coming and going constantly (plus hospital personnel doing their thing). I don't think I slept more than an hour at a time the whole week I was there.

This new flu scares me. Like most of you I have alot of health issues and I doubt I'd be able to fight it. But, I'm way more afraid for my grandkids and my kids. I've gotten the regular flu shot every year with no side effects but I don't feel good about getting this one.

Thanks to all of you for letting me vent my concerns.

[This Message was Edited on 11/05/2009]