No Excuses on Oprah today...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by usanagirl, Jun 13, 2006.

1. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

Wow! That was a powerful, powerful show today! I will have NO MORE EXCUSES for ANYTHING!

usanagirl
  2. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

this was too good of a show!
  3. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

I missed the show; can someone tell me a little about it?

Would appreciate it,

Thank you,

BlueSky555
  4. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

I very seldom miss Oprah, but today I did. I too, would love to know what happened. Please, I am so curious.
    Thanks in advance,
    Arlene
  5. optimistic1

optimistic1 New Member

6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Seen one you've seen them all, I figure. Back when I was struggling along to treat depression too they used to depress me so much, and I'd feel guilty and not up to par.

Let her deal w/ what we deal w/ year after year, the meds, the doctors, the rude pharmacies, underdrugged or overdrugged, or disbelieved, and lets see how emphatic she preaches about "no excuses". Really easy for a healthy person, w/ superman energy to say.

Jeanne
  7. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

I have it on Tivo. I haven't watched it yet but will do so in the morning so I will post what it is about.

kate
  8. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Thank you so much kate; would like to know.

BlueSky555
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We don't make excuses. We have the sense to know what we can do and what will put us in bed for a week, or a month.

I admire those with physical limitations who overcome them to try to live normal lives. I admire all of us who do the best we can with bone crushing pain and/or fatigue so bad that we can only get up to go to the bathroom some days.

Some of us tried living in denial in the beginning and we attempted to go on being supermen and women. All that gets us is bedridden faster.

We need to recognize that each of us is a hero or heroine, doing the best we can with the hand which has been dealt to us. We shouldn't compare ourselves with those with handicaps because it isn't the same situation. We also should not beat ourselves up, or let anyone else beat us up, for not being able to "tough it out." We ARE toughing it out just existing some days.

One of Depok Chopra's favorite sayings is, "Today I will judge nothing." Or, as my daughter puts it, "It's not my job to judge." I think we can't afford the energy it takes to judge others or ourselves. We are doing the best we can with what we have.

Good for us!!!

Love, Mikie
  10. pammy52

pammy52 New Member

I saw the show because I had called in to work yesterday due to fatigue and pain being stronger than determination and willpower.(they are in charge of my body today too.)

I rarely watch Oprah in recent years. Seeing the previews yesterday morning piqued my interest since it was not about the latest fashion designs or a celebrity gushing over their latest love interest.

I am glad I saw the show and I in no way compared myself to any of the guests in terms of physical situations.
    A chronic illness cannot be compared to a birth defect or accident induced physical limitations or even a battle with cancer and the tx. that is debilitating.

Each one of us who is dealing with any type of health,mental or emotional issue that impacts our daily living should not compare ourselves or be compared to someone with the same type of problem never mind a situation different than what we are dealing with.
    As individuals we all have different attitudes,coping skills and abilities for handling life.

What can be respected and appreciated in each of these stories is the strength of the human spirit and the battle of mind over matter.
    I was inspired by the will of each guest that kept them going despite situations that could make anyone feel like giving up for the long term.

While watching that show, as I was lying in bed feeling frustrated about not being able to go to work or even finish the laundry because I was so wiped out, I felt fortunate to be blessed with a whole body,as well as encouraged to keep putting one foot in front of another,even if only in my mind, on any given day.

The best we can do for one another, whatever our lot in life, is to acknowledge,respect and support one anothers difficulties and accomplishments no matter how big or small.

Discouraged often? Yes!
    Defeated at times? Yes!
    Taking life one day at a time or one minute at a time? YES!!

Pammy

[This Message was Edited on 06/14/2006]
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I also admire people who rise above physical limitation and take inspiration from them. I need look no further than the sweet man downstairs who has lost his vision to Type I Diabetes. He has also lost both legs, endured many surgeries, and is on dialysis. He is always a joy to be around and never complains. His sister and BIL have moved in to help with his care dispite both having cancer and his sister's needing multiple surgeries. She is undergoing chemo because her cancer has reactivated. They are all the nicest people in the world.

It makes me count my many blessings when I see them.

Love, Mikie