No Feeling in feet and legs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by DavidTeer, Mar 5, 2003.

1. DavidTeer

DavidTeer New Member

When I took Gee to the rheumi last week he touched her leg with a skewer like stick and she could not feel it on the top of her foot and calf of her leg.
    Does any one have this symtom I was just wondering. I just forgot to ask the dr. about it. Please let me know if you encounter this. Thanks Dave and Gee
  2. Lau

Lau New Member

I have periodically had numbness in my feet and legs. Is this what you mean? There was no response to reflex testing etc. Very difficult to walk on legs you can't feel. Dr. told me it would probably pass. I didn't like that answer at the time, but it did pass. It can sometimes last a day or two or sometimes a couple of weeks.

Sorry I don't have an answer to the reason this happens.

3. JLH

JLH New Member

Has Gee been tested for diabetes? This is a very common problem, and a serious problem, for diabetics. If she hasn't been tested, she most definitely should. I don't know how old Gee is, but even young children can become diabetics. The numbness is called neuropothy (? sp.) If she has been an undiagnosed diabetic for years, she could have diabetic neuropothy in her feet and legs.

Not to scare you or anything, but my father was diagnosed with diabetes when he was around 60. He took it lightly and did not take care of himself (mainly by not watching what he ate, etc.) He ended up with neuropothy in his legs. It started out with just a little numbness. He would not feel a step when climbing stairs, and fall. He would just walking in the mall, and just fall, etc. After about 2 years with the condition, he ended up having a toe amputated, followed by his leg amputated 6 mos. later. I'm not trying to scare you, but tell you that checking out diabetes is important.

Did the rheumy give you indication of what he/she thought this could be? By taking her to this type of dr., the dr. might just be thinking in his/her own field and "not outside the box."

It could also be someting like a pinched nerve in her back.

I get a touch of the numbness every now and then but it doesn't last long; but then, in addition to the fibro, I have a lot of back problems that most likely cause it.

Hope everything goes well for you and Gee.

4. karen55

karen55 New Member

I've had considerable numbness from ruptured disks, but once I had surgery and the free floating pieces of disk were removed and the immediate pressure was taken off the nerve, most of the numbness eventually went away. I do, however, have some permanent nerve damage in one foot from that and part of my foot is apparently forever numb.