NO, IT'S NOT CELLULITE IT'S FIBRO KNOTS!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by farmgetty, Aug 30, 2004.

1. farmgetty

farmgetty New Member

i DON'T KNOW IF ANY OF YOU HAVE THESE BUT AT FIRST I THOUGHT I HAD CYSTS UNDER MY SKIN AND MY GYNEO TOLD ME THAT THEY ARE THE KNOTS FROM YOUR MUSCLES TWISTING FROM FIBRO, THEY ARE MORE ON MY ARMS AND UPPER THIGHS, BROTHER!
    Totallymick likes this.
  2. gangat5

gangat5 New Member

I didn't know that that was related to fibro. I have been feeling them in my thighs for the last 6 months and was afraid to tell the dr. for fear of cancer in my legs. You learn so much on this message board. So glad that you are all here. Thank You
    Totallymick likes this.
  3. cinnabarsib

cinnabarsib New Member

I have one on my foot-I believe and abigger mass on knee caps. Can you describe yours? the one on my foot can move under my skin but causes no pain and bigger mass on knee area is larger.Dr. looked at one on top of foot and couldn`t exlain it~no pain~what do your look like? thanx!~~~~~~with hope cinnabarsib
  4. mrcpvls

mrcpvls New Member

I started to get these knots, lumps about five years ago. I thought it was cellulite and bought cellasene which is made out of fish oil. The cellasene never worked and it was shortly after that that I became more ill than I have ever been in my life. Eventually I was diagnosed with FM which I believe probably started in the 80's. I have the lumps in my thighs and knees mostly. I wish they would go away.
    Totallymick likes this.
  5. PsCorn

PsCorn New Member

Ahh yes, I also have these in my thighs and upper arms mostly. My husband can rub them, and it hurts like Heck, but eventually the knot will go away... I normally then feel numb in that area for awhile. My knots are usually very small, like a pea or double size of a pea, but they are many and hurt so bad when pushed on.
    Sometimes they get huge and very hard, but mostly they are tiny.

I've been told to learn to live with them... they are a Fibro thing. (also been told if I lost weight they would go away).

Good luck,
    Pam
    Totallymick likes this.
  6. cookstove

cookstove New Member

Fibroknots: Fibroknots began before more active symptoms of FM for me. I asked my doctor yearly about them, as they got progressively bigger and in more areas, and was always told they were just cellulite. My response was always that I did not know that cellulite hurt. It was not until I finally found a doctor who treated FM that I found out that the lumps were fibroknots. I had huge ones in the thighs, arms (lower and upper), the area between the breast and shoulders (often causing me to feel that I had developed a lump that needed to be checked for breast cancer). I have been using guaifenesin for the past two years and the lumps are so much better. Read about this medicine in What YOur Doctor May Not Tell You About Fibromyalgia by R. Paul St. Amand, MD and Claudia Craig Marek. My doctor uses this as a guideline for his treatment of fibromyalgia. Sad to say, I saw many doctors over the years who did not understand my complaints or symptoms and did not know about fibromyalgia. It took my retirement and lots of self reading and the help of a good naturapathic ND to get me started down the right road to help, some 30 years after the first symptoms. ****I do want to say one last thing to Cinnabarsib--I had lumps for years on the bottom of my feet, but this last year they were finally diagnosed with charcot bone disorder. So please, if you have lumps on your feet (mine were on the bottom mostly, but some on the top) have a podiatrist keep you under constant treatment and check. Charcot is a nasty disease, and mine was not caused by diabetes, but by the constant neurapathy in my feet for the past 40 years. Since I did not test out for diabetes, no one ever paid much attention to the neuropathy when I complained about it. This illness has made me a firm believer in that you can not trust doctors to take care of you, you have to be right there at the front pushing and searching for help--hard to do at times when your head or body do not want to cooperate.
    Totallymick likes this.
  7. liwizard

liwizard New Member

i have had 5 fibro cysts taken off over the past 20 years. cut them off in one place and they grow in another. it was my frist fm sign. i have one on my head that is at least 35 years old. funny when the doc's cut them off they didn't give me a clue that anything else could have been wrong. heck i didn't know fm was something till my daughter got it!
    Totallymick likes this.
  8. bakron

bakron New Member

and they hurt, too! The massage therapist is resolved to help me get rid of them. We'll see. Seems like when they are massaged, they go away only to come back another day . .
  9. ginn266

ginn266 New Member

I can tell my hubby now am not fat its not cellialate its fibro lumps.
  10. stagename

stagename New Member

on the ankle between the achilles tendon and the knobby bone?
  11. simka

simka New Member

I haven't heard of fibro knots but then I haven't shown signs of possible fibro until fairly recently. My doctor did say that I had trigger points and I got a book on trigger point therapy and discovered some trigger points, which I could actually feel and work out myself.

Now apart from these, after an infection, I developed some tender lumps near the infection area, including on the upper inner thigh. These felt more like lymph nodes to me, and they slowly diminished after treating the infection.

Are fibro knots and trigger points possibly the same? If not, how do you tell the difference? And is there a way to tell for sure if it's a fibro knot or a lymph node that is swollen?

Simka
  12. Suekoo

Suekoo New Member

I have them. They hurt! When I rub something on them (usually the outside of the hip and thigh area - my leg feels like a wash board...

Massage therapy does help, but it's expensive and sometimes hard to get there after working all day.

Good luck to all of us!!
  13. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

was DX, My knee dr. was going to give me a shot of cortazone, & said oh my , I think you have FM, I maid him stop, You see I had been praying for somone to tell me what was wrong, from thear I was re Dx, 3 other time's , I hate them they hurt so bad , somdays I must just rest , somtimes
    I must walk , Its the only thing that will help,
    thanks for giving me a name for it
    hugs cindy G.
  14. matthewson

matthewson New Member

It's symptoms are kind of similar to FMS. Also there is a site called lipomaforum that talks about lipomas and how they can be painful and cause problems similar to FMS. Just read about this at another FMS forum.

Just something to think about. Sally
  15. deb06

deb06 New Member

He said they were like fat cells. I sure felt good about that. Why would fat cells hurt then/
  16. heatherlara28

heatherlara28 New Member

I HAD NO IDEA WHAT THEY WERE UNTIL I READ ABOUT ALL OF U GUYS. I HAVE THEM ON MY ARMS, ABOVE MY ANKLE AND ON MY COLLAR BONE. THEY MOVE AROUND AND CAUSE NO PAIN. WHEN I FIRST ASK MY DOCTOR ABOUT THEM HE SAID CALCIUM DEPOSITS. IT'S GOOD TO FINALLY GET SOME REAL ANSWERS. THANKS.
  17. Totallymick

Totallymick Member

I have them too! Oh I'm so glad I found this forum. I've seen doctor after doctor and had massages etc.. I was diagnosed with FM 4 yrs. ago and started getting these lumps within the past few months. They hurt so much. They are mostly on my thighs but some are on my arms. One doctor I saw said it's Lipoma, but he said that it shouldn't hurt unless it's growing on nerves or something like that. He said then it can be removed surgically. I have too many to be surgically removed and all of mine hurt! I read about it and it says they shouldn't hurt. I was dying to know why my cellulite hurt, ha,ha! It really does. After reading this, now I know they are fibroknots and I'm not alone. I'm mad at this other doctor that acted like I was crazy when I described what I had. He told me it wasn't Lipoma because he couldn't SEE any bumps. Stupid doctor's! Has anything helped for anybody on here? I see the last someone wrote about it was 2004?!!
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It's possible to have myofacial syndrome in which the facia, the material which holds us together, gets inflamed and knots up. It's kinda like when you pull a piece of yarn on a sweater and the sweater will pile up or knot up where the yarn is pulled. A good medical physical therapist can reduce the myofacial knots and help get rid of inflammation in the area. If the knots are facia, pressure on the knot, in the sorest area, held for a few minutes, while taking deep breaths, will often reduce the pain and the know will disappear. Myofacial pain release also releases toxins so it's good to drink a lot of water afterward.

My physical therapist used a suction cup to run up and down my thigh to release the myofacial pain when he worked on my sciatica. They don't sell these little suction cups but I found a child's ball in Target which works as well. It's about the size of a tennis ball but has little spikes all over it. It's softish plastic. I rolled it up and down my thigh and it did as well as the suction cup. This can be very, very painful at first but it does work for myofacial pain. Most of us probably have this condition along with our CFIDS/ME and/or FMS.

Love, Mikie
  19. Totallymick

Totallymick Member

20. Totallymick

Totallymick Member

I'm so glad you replied! I googled myofacial syndrome and I think it's exactly what I have, thank you. I was dying to know what the heck was wrong with me. I have FM and a herniated disc but I knew there was something else making my muscles like hard lumps. I've had physical therapy on my hips, bursitis that I have and it didn't help. I had the ultra-sound on my hips and massage there also, and she massaged the sides of my thighs. I have some lumps there and they didn't get better. That was a few months ago. My bursitis is so bad that I walk funny. I have had 3 rounds of shots and they just always wear off. I have so many pain problems I don't know what to do! If I had the money I would go to a masseuse once a week. I will hold the part down that hurts as you've said and continue to massage my legs. I have those balls that you suggested already but haven't used them there, only on the bottoms of my feet. They have problems too! Ugh, so frustrating. I can see how those spikey balls would work though. Also I take Eptsom salt baths 2X a week. You are right, I need to drink more water to flush out the toxins. Thanks again! Any advice on my bursa joints?? Oh, by the way, my name is Micki too :)