NO Longer Confused about priorities

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Takesha, May 4, 2003.

1. Takesha

Takesha New Member

Michael and I had one of those rare moments friday night when we both felt up to going to visit an elderly lady friend who lives in our apartment complex. She was talking to us about her daughter in law and how selfish she is and how her son struggles to provided for her. You know the type, every year a new car, a better house, expensive clothes etc. That made me think about what has become important to me over the years. I used to complain that I wanted a better car, that was when I was able to work, and had the energy to go places. Now I rarely go anywhere and I'm so grateful to have the energy when I do go that I don't really care if my car is old. Likewise, I don't care if my friends (what few I have now) are not socialites from the "best" part of town. I am glad they understand me, and still want to come and visit. As for a bigger and better house...heck I can't even keep up with cleaning what I already have!
    I have come to appreciate things like a good nights sleep, people who understand, the ability to walk, or think straight, for for a medication that relieves my pain even if it's only for a shrot period of time. I am grateful for all of you.
    I know this DD is degrading, painful, and we often have so much to vent about, but if there is a good side, it is that we learn how to appreciate the little things, and it doesn't really take all that much to make us happy. I don't think I have lowered my expectations, I think my priorites have changed.
    I would have prefered to learn this lesson in another way, but I am glad I am learning it. Hugs to all of you today.
    Takesha
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Being very sick with a chronic illness is not completely without its silver lining. We once had a thread about what benefits we have received from being sick.

I have personally decided that nothing in this world is worth stressing over. God is in charge and everything has a way of working out, even when it isn't according to my plans.

I have been able to read, relax, and watch mindless TV. I have been able to enjoy the pool and spend time with my neighbors. I was able to spend time with my Mom before she died. I have been able to take the time for spiritual growth.

As I heal, it will soon be time for me to return to the working world. I will most likely take a less stressful, lower paying job, but that's OK. I have everything I need.

Love, Mikie
  3. stillafreemind

stillafreemind New Member

just wanted to say thank you for such a lovely thread. And the replies you have gotten have made a chilly, rainy, and blustery day ..just weeee bit brighter!...Sherry
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

For taking the precious time and sharing this with us. It made me feel good to read your post. I feel the same way, though I do wish that the money was there just for the comfort in the basic needs.

Thank you, again,
    Lane
  5. Takesha

Takesha New Member

because I have and do receive so much from all of you and I am so glad I could give back just a little. I pray you all sleep well tonight and have an even better day tomorrow.

Takesha