No Luck With Heating Pads: Suggestions????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by NyroFan, Nov 1, 2006.

1. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Hello all:

I bought a supersized heating pad at Walmart. It was a Sunbeam and lasted one week. So, I brought it back.

So, they gave me a new one and sure enough, this one lasted two weeks. And back to Walmart it went.

Then I went online and ordered from a super-sized specialty company. Wouldn't you believe it. It was the Sunbeam again.
    And it lasted a week!!!!!!!

Help!!! Can anyone suggest a heating pad that is super-sized and actually works for more than a week or two?

nyrofan
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I have a heated car seat cushion that I use both in my vehicle and on my favourite chair in the house. I've had it almost a year now and have not had any problems.

Just a thought.

3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Cranbit:

I do not drive, but will certain look into those kinds of pads for the home. Thank you.

nyrofan

Anyone else know of a reliable one????
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

what the heck are you doing to them?? LOL

I have a sunbeam that also has the vibration mode on it and love it. Maybe it is made better than the regular ones. I am sorry you are having this problem.

If you are using it in bed, I found a soft "throw" that keeps the heat on my side (hubby does not like the heat). It is really soft and has 3 heat settings and shuts off after 3 hours. I bought it at sears. I turn it on while I am getting ready for bed and it is between my sheets and comforter. I have it covering my pillow too (until I go to bed) and by the time I am ready for bed, my bed is so nice and warm. I love this thing.

I will look today to see if I can find you a better heating pad. Maybe you have some kind of electromagnetic field in you or something ... kidding. I will let you know if I find something else.
    Hugs
    Kim
  5. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Thermophore if you are looking to make more of an investment. I was willing to pay more because I depend on my heating pads so much. My favorite one is the extra large Arthritis size one. It's HUGE, and it has a push on/off button, unlike some of the other Thermophore models. It's a bit expensive, but its been worth it to me. And Thermophore will repair/replace it if it dies on you.

Good luck!
  6. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Butterfly:

I just read about Thermophore (sp?) on a site. I am being real careful this time about a purchase, yet the more I delay it, they more I miss the warmth and pleasure.

That is on my list of 'possibles'.

Thanks to all and the Sunbeamers who have good luck with them. Maybe it is just the model.

nyrofan
  7. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I couldn't believe it when I read the trouble you were having with Sunbeam heating pads. I had to return four of them last year! Finally, I have 2 which have worked for several months!

I use a recliner to sleep in, due to back and neck problems. My DH bought me a 'twin size' heated mattress cover and drape it on the chair. There are not all of the cords that electric blankets have. It is heaven.

You could sleep on it probably. I turn mine off and then use my 'working' heating pads.

I hope you find something to help!

Kim
  8. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I got a Theratherm, it is similar to the Thermophore, but you don't have to keep pushing the button to make it heat. You can set the temperature and the time you want it to heat, with a max of 1 hr. It also is a moist heat, with a special cover that takes the moisture from the air.

I think I got if from a site called painrelieverdotcom.

It comes in different sizes, and I got the largest. It is great.

Raz
  9. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

Hi there, I bought a "Chattam & Wells" heating blanket (nice material too) from www.comforthouse.com It has super fine wires that you can barely detect. You might want to give it a try. Good luck. susi-di
  10. Susi-di

Susi-di New Member

my suggestion was for a heating blanket not a heating pad. oops. but it's wonderful anyway. susi-di
  11. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

Hi, I have one Kaz that is extra large and has an automatic shutoff after 60 minutes. I like it other than if I want to leave it on for more time. I know it is offered online at Amazon for much less than in store. I do have one Sunbeam that has a heat on/off with several heat settings and an auto shut off control as well. It is smaller and was a more expensive Sunbeam model. I have had it a year now and have no problems with it other than small size.

I have had several of the Sunbeam low price pads that would last a few months and then go out. I have also had the same experience with their electric blankets. I really think you get what you pay for when it comes to these products. I used a lot of Disposable Sunbeam products before I decided to shop around for a better product.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/02/2006]
  12. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

Just a thought here, but do you cover yourself and the heating pad with a blanket while you use it?

Something to remember, is that you are not supposed to cover a heating pad with anything while using it. Gets too hot and can ruin it. Plus being dangerous!

I have (like someone said) a twin-sized warming blanket. It's so thick and plush, very, very nice and comfy. You can put it over you in a recliner, or sit on it. Great for laying on the bed with, too!

Good luck!

My Sunbeam heating pad takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin', LOL.

Quite a puzzle there! Best to you.
  13. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

hello all:

Thank you for all of the tips about heating pads/mattresses, etc. I was so happy I have some leads to look into now.

Ordinarily I like Sunbeam products. I just bought a new iron from them and it is great.

I am mulling over the idea of an electric blanket. It sounds so comforting.

Maybe a mattress for the bed and a heating pad for a chair.

I do know that I can not do without one or the other for much longer. i feel so much worse without it.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

nyrofan
  14. mary124

mary124 New Member

I have the same problems. No matter what kind or how much I spend on a heating pad, it only lasts for 6-9 months at the most. Decided a few months ago, to by the cheapest. I have one at home and one at the office.

it use to be that they last forever. had one many years ago, that last me for over 10 years!
  15. Goldyfm

Goldyfm New Member

Hi just wanted to say JCPenney has a wonderful super soft electric blanket on sale right now with free shipping (online). I ordered myself one a few weeks ago and paid a good bit more for it. It is the lightest and softest one I have ever seen. I ordered another one for my sister this AM and saved about $25 over the price of mine. It is made by Martex and I love that it has separate wiring for both sides. I only plugged in one side and figure if I do wear it out I can always turn the blanket over and use the other side. Always looking for a bargain when you have Doctors, and meds that drain your pocketbook but you need the creature comforts too.