No meds.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FMsolider, Oct 31, 2006.

1. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

I am out of all my meds. except Elavil and I don't see the doctor until Monday. The new thing is he doesn't do refills on a script - you have to see him every six weeks or so for refills. And no phone in scripts. This sux big time. Especially when he is booked up and/or whatever circumstances prevent you from getting in as often as one would like. This will be a very hard week for me. I am aggravated! Thanks for letting me vent. Hope no one else feels as much pain as I do lately.
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Sounds like quite a money making scheme to me. Every six weeks? I wonder if that's legal. Anywho, I'm feeling confrontational today, so I would contact the Medical Ethics Board of the Hospital he has privelages at, and question them on that.

On the other hand, if getting started on a treatment regimen and adusting meds, I can see it, but for maintanance? 6 weeks is BS.

Hope the next week isn't too painful for you.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/01/2006]
  3. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

Great point, never even thought of the idea that it may not be ethical. Getfitat40 has the same doc....if your out there Get - what is your take.
  4. MargaretOB

MargaretOB New Member

Hi, I've never heard of a doctor requiring you to see him every 6 weeks. That's nuts! The pharmacy only fills meds for 6 months at a time, and my doc requires an annual face-to-face.

Isn't there anybody else you can see?

Good luck,
    Margaret
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

Oh, and I live in New York and we can have refills up to one year on one script. Same with eyeglass prescriptions.
  6. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

I actually had a doc similar way back when. He was actually my best doc. The main reason he did it was because I was on narcotics and he was also monitoring me for depression. But when I got even sicker, it was getting next to impossible to get rides and always get into see him. He did really help me get on disability though and totally believed and supported me, so seeing him often had many benefits too. I guess it served a time in my life.

MOst doctors don't want or need to see you that often though. My doc for the next 7 yrs would do refills by phone/fax, even narcotics and seemed kindof annoyed if I checked in w/out a reason. I figured he'd want to monitor the narcotics, but he didn't seem to care. Actually he didn't care much about anything about me, so I finally moved on.

I think I've found a happy medium. This new doc actually physically examines me just like my first doc did. He won't do phone/fax refills, but he gives repeats for 4 mths at atime, even narcotics.

Probably more than you needed to know, but the long and short is if this doc is good in enough other ways you may want to stick it out. But it sounds counterproductive to your needs really.

Jeanne
  7. FMsolider

FMsolider New Member

This doctor is very good. He doesn't require 6 weeks - it is between 4 and 8 weeks. I can sorta see why one would do so with narcotics but, what about my muscle relaxers and other none controled substances?
  8. homesheba

homesheba New Member

i pray you will get help,
    i dont think i could go with out my pain meds.
    id be in bed in agony!
    my pitiful pain dr is like that also.
    he is soo scared to eekkk out pain meds to me,
    i practally have to crawl
    before he will give me a script!!
    i am sick of him ,
    and he has no idea what to say
    .terrible bed side manner!!
    i mean really??
    with a person with fibro-
    does a dr really need to say??
    ' where do you hurt??""