No more physical therapy, no firm diagnosis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gelsey, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Gelsey

Gelsey New Member

Well, sort of a vent here. I went to see my PCP today. Her associate diagnosed me with FM (without tender point test though) and sent me to PT. That didnt work, most of it hurt more than helped. Was able to give a clear detailed report on that to my PCP, who said well whether you have Fibro or not, you obviously have pain, stress, some depression and fatigue and need to do something.
    We agreed, take the good from the PT and move on to aquatics, Arthritis classes or chiropractic. I promised to ask if I needed any meds for sleep or depression. I guess I am on a continued path of finding one doctor who can diagnose FM. Maybe my chiropractor knows someone, but if not, I guess I pursue things sort of on my own. (and with the support group I found in town.)
  2. Donya58

Donya58 New Member

Hi Gelsey:))
    You sound much like myself about 4 years ago. I did have a positive diagnosis of FMS and tried all the things that you mentioned. What helped me the most was the hydrotherapy. I did deep water jogging for 20 minutes and then a series of stretches. You may find something else that works better for you. I imagine someone in your support group could give you the name of a Doctor who could help you. Good luck!! Donya
  3. Gelsey

Gelsey New Member

Yep, aquatics seems to be in all the books. I have a huge hot tub, and I have ordered a laminated exercise card from the arthritis foundation (new item, sounds nice so you can take it out by the water).
    Unfortunately, the support group doesnt have a clue. The rheumy dept of my HMO threw me out after two visits, because I didnt have Lupus or Ra or any provable condition. And no one in the support group is in my HMO. I will keep looking though, but for now I will just follow through my plan.
  4. Donya58

Donya58 New Member

The hot tub is awesome. I don't have one but the pool where I used to exercise had one and it was great to sit in for a few minutes. That place isn't open to the public anymore and I really miss it. The only exercise I get now is the odd walk and a few stretches and swimming at the beach but soon the water will be too cold. Anyways, I'm going for my nap. Have a good day. Donya:))