No More Smelly Washing Machine

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I responded to the thread on this but it's been around a while and I was going to experiment to see whether I could get rid of the musty washer smell. As I mentioned, it helps to do my dark and color loads and save the whites for last with a bit of bleach. I was propping the door open overnight--it's a front loader--and leaving the little door on top for detergent, bleach, etc. open. I always dry out the plastic divider under the little door.

What I've discovered is that you can leave the front door slightly ajar all the time when the washer is off. That allows some air to get in. Front loaders have large rubber gaskets around the door and opening and they put off a rubber smell but the musty smell it always had is gone.

Yea!

Love, Mikie
  2. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

It was touched on somewhere in the other post that it just makes sense to leave the door ajar on the front loading machines when not in use. Since they need an airtight seal so as not to leak while in use, it only makes sense to air it out and not leave it tightly sealed when not in use.

I have the top loading machine and I do leave the lid open when not in use. My mother always did, so I guess I got into the habit too. And before we leave on a short trip or vacation, we always make sure both machines are open. Of course the door to the laundry room stays tightly closed to prevent our cat from wandering in.

Glad you were able to resolve the musty washer smell.

Laura
    [This Message was Edited on 06/06/2011]
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I did mention that I leave it propped open overnight but I've found that it has to remain open enough to let a bit of air in all the time. I gave up on top loaders after two of them developed rust under the rim of the washers. I always left them open too but they still developed rust. My W&D are in a closet but it has louvered doors on it, so air can circulate.

Sorry if this is redundant, redundant.

Love, Mikie
    [This Message was Edited on 06/07/2011]
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

When I bought my first house (at 27) it was time for me to be a big girl and do my own laundry. Up until then, I had lived at home and my mom always did my laundry. Then when I moved into my first apartment, I worked alot of hours so I used the drop off service at a local laundromat, and the dry cleaners for my business clothes.

Anyway, in my new (old) house, when I would put clothes in the well-worn dryer, they would take hours to dry. I didn't know about any lint filter; it was inside the bottom of the door of the dryer and it said 'Clean After Each Use' so I would wipe it with a cloth! Finally, one day I opened the dryer door after a load dried, and the lint filter literally jumped out with piles of lint. When my mom asked me, "Didn't you ever clean the lint filter?" I told her yes, I wiped it after each use, just like it says!! Well, she nearly had a heart attack, told me I could have caused some fire!

I now clean the lint filter thoroughly after each use!

Laura

5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I moved in to my present condo, I always cleaned the lint filter. It was dicey because of the design. If I wasn't careful, the lint would fall out of the filter and down into some kind of deep hole. That hole was vented to the outside but, evidently, the guy before me let an awful lot of line fall down. It clogged the vent until, all at once, it blew out with force on the roof of our bldg. There was lint all over the place blowing in the wind. Yikes! We now have our rooftop vents cleaned at least every other year. Vent tubes in condo and apt. bldgs. are waaaay too long and lint can collect, leaving a fire danger.

My new front loader dryer has a better filter and I clean it every time I use the dryer. Also, when Lowe's hooked it up, they used some kind of improved tube from the dryer to the vent. I only hope this W&D last a loooooong time as I really like them. I got a great deal, at the time, on them but, even with the great deal, they do cost a lot more than the ones I had always had. That said, however, it isn't cheap if one has to keep replacing a washer due to rust. It seems that everything which comes into contract with water in the new washer is plastic, rubber or stainless steel.

I also love it that I used only 1/4 to 1/3 the amt. of detergent in my washer than I did in the old one. I hadn't planned on buying front loaders but my friends here who have them told me I wouldn't be sorry if I did. So, I'm grateful to people here who helped me decide.

Thanks for sharing your lint story.

Love, Mikie
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

and post something that just happened the other day and annoyed me.

When I moved into my current house I brought my washing machine from the house I sold with me (long story). There was an old but efficiently working washer already there in the new house. Someone doing work on the house asked me if he could buy it cheap but instead I just gave it to him; he was a nice person and worked hard. He wanted it for a rental property that he owned.

Anyway, he mentioned this to me recently, as I had totally forgotten about it..but actually complained that he only got five years out of that damn machine! How can you complain about something that you totally got for free. Geez, the nerve!!
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Shall Go Unpunished. Don't remember who said that but this is a case in point.

What that jerk said in no way diminishes the kindness you showed him but it certainly showed his character, or lack thereof.

Just as I suspected--you're a nice person!

Love, Mikie