No more spoons

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aberlaine, May 23, 2006.

1. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I've been doing more than I should and have run out of spoons! But my schedule doesn't ease up any and I don't know how to stop.

I'm retired and doing the things I love (reading, volunteering, watching grandbabies) but have gotten too involved in this stuff. I know I'm exhausted and on the verge of collapsing, but there's always more to do.

How do you prioritize your life so you don't get to the end of your "rope"?
  2. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

you just have to learn to say no. I'm guessing you have trouble saying it, and people know you will always help. But you are running yourself down...so practice saying no (kindly!). Good luck!
  3. suzette1954

suzette1954 New Member

You will get into a major flare and not be able to do anything. No more volunteering, pace the visits of the grandchildren and get more rest. I dont need to tell you this. You already said it in your post.

If you are doing all of these things, thank God because I would love to be able to do things again.

Suzette
  4. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

I learned the hard way back at Thanksgiving. That's how long this cycle has lasted for me.

Trusted me darlin'...if you don't stop voluntarily, this DD will MAKE YOU STOP. If you don't put the small stuff on the back burner now, you be doing NOTHING very soon.

IT IS NOT WORTH IT! Stop trying to be super woman and learn to say no. Ask for help from others...

If you don't help you now, you sure won't be able to do anything FOR ANYONE including yourself!

Be careful darlin'

jenni
  5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

"When I say No, I feel Guilty" by Manuel Smith.

Sure helped me. Comes in paperback. Cheap at twice the price.
  6. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Yes, I already knew I needed to slow down, but where? Since reading your posts, I've decided to cut back on the number of bloodmobiles I help with.

I also got a wonderful e-mail from my son telling me that I wasn't to worry about his new challenging family situation (they're having triplets in the fall and already have two little ones). They've made plans and I'm ONLY to be the grandma, nothing else.

I found a spoon pin in my jewelry box and wore it all day yesterday. It reminded me to say "no", and to try to cut back on my activities. When someone asked me about it, I told her the spoon story.

Thanks for all your concerns and advice. I think I will buy the book "When I say No, I feel Guilty" by Manuel Smith.