No pain meds. til I see dr. Friday

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Man, this is gonna get wild.I have been taking hydrocodine very carefully for a month.Found out I have 2 bulging disks in neck along with all the other pains of fm.

Called dr. to get a refill.She said not til she sees me.You know I would understand if I had taken my 4 day supply in less than 4 days.But I have strecthed this stuff out 12 days.And beleive me I only take it when I have to.

So now what am I gonna do?I have physical therapy tom. and thursday.the pain is going to be awful.I do have muscle relaxers but they make me tired.I will take 1 at night I guess,I'll have to on the days I hurt so bad.Pain does not let you sleep.

I am surprised dr. wouldn't fill medication.I have been seeing her for awhile now.She has treated me for thumb pain,tendoitis,impinged shoulder and never once did I take the pain medication script she said she could right me.

I sure hope she isn't beginning to think I have a problem.I am so sensitive to becoming addicted to anything.My dad was an alcholic and beleive me I will not allow myself to go down that path.

Are the pain meds. controled so tightly that dr.'s aren't treating us with pain anymore?

I want my life back!!!!!!!!

Sheila
  2. livin4him

livin4him New Member

could you get drs appt moved up? Also, for some reason I think they will not call that type of medicine in for a refill. From what I know you actually have to get the script from them in writing.

if not, do you have anything else you can take for it? Sorry, you are going through this. It's no fun to suffer through this without help from something.
  3. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I do have a reheumy. and she has helped me up to this point but never had to take hydrocodine under her care.My orthopedic dr. and my reheumy. are in the same practice.

I put a call into my reheumy. today concerned about the pain with the raynaud's.Meds. not helping control spasms in my fingers and toes.I will probably go in and see her about this pain.

I am just surprised that my orthopedic has stopped giving me pain medication.When I go to therapy I am gonna ask my therapist why she has done this.It makes no sense to me at all.I have never ever been huge on hydrocodine and now when I really need it I am cut off.

Thanks for telling me about the audit too.That makes sense why she cut me off but it still doesn't make it right.

I have had my first glimpse into the controling of stronger pain meds.I am scared of not getting treated as well as becoming immune to the medication.

My life has turned a new corner and I don't like the road ahead at all.

Sheila
  4. livin4him

livin4him New Member

From what you said, it doesn't sound like she is "cutting you off". I think they can't prescribe that type of medication over the phone. You actually have to see them.

There are good doctors out there who do not hesitate to help you, you just have to keep searching to find the right one who will work with you on everything. I found mine by word of mouth. Through my chriopractor of all people.

5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

It can be called in my doctor does it every 15 days.Ive been on it for 2 yrs now.

You did not say the last time you saw your doctor.

If it has been over 3 months than most will not fill it.I see my doctor every 3 months.I am also on oxcycotin.That I need to pick up the script at the office.

Sue
  6. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I saw dr. 5 weeks ago and found out results from mri.She offered me hydrocodine then and I said no.I called later that week and had some called in.She called in enough to last me 6 days.They lasted 3 weeks almost.This last perscrition I had was a 4 day supply and I took my last 2 today and I had this perscrition 12 days.

I guess I am being a bit hard on my dr. She is a great dr. It's just the pain talking.I am thinking maybe she is afraid I will do more damage if I am taking pain meds. to get through the day.Sometimes with pain meds. they can mask the pain too much especially when there is a potential to rupture a couple of disks.

Who knows.I see her friday.

Til then I will take what is left of the tramadol which does little for my neck pain.I have a muscle relaxer and I hate to take it.It makes me feel hungover and I don't like feeling weird like that.I am already off enough as it is.LOL!

Gotta laugh even if it hurts.Atleast for now, tonight I may be shoting fire out my eyes and speaking unmentionable english.

Sheila
  7. babygirl44

babygirl44 New Member

Hello i have been on hydro for awhile for FM and several other problems.
    And most DOC do not want to give it, my DOC has been dealing with me for 3 years i don't like the way he takes off when he likes but he knows my history and what kind of pain i'm truly in.

I haven't had a DOC yet not believe me but they want prescibe what he does.
    So they don't care to give to often.

He gives me 1 refill then i have to go back in.

We've tried pain manag and i end up back to him and he says yeh what they gave you is not going to work for you.

I have damaged nerve in back also from open heart surgery so with FMS it makes it 5 times worse.

good luck to i know what it's like to be out and in sever pain you.
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have to say the Amitryptiline helped best for the neck pain it relaxes the muscles and nerves. The only thing is it made me dizzy again.

I am going back on the Valium 2mg as that does the same thing but without making me dizzy in fact it cures the dizzies. The only thing with that it relaxes my esophageal sphincter, but who cares!!!!

Try and keep your chin from jutting forward. Most of us with the disc thing in the neck tend to jut our chins out, as if peering, and we have to tuck them back. I sometimes tie a silk scarf around my chin to keep me from jutting.
    At first you feel it then it gets better.

Love Anne C
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

I, too, have thumb pain all the time.My neurologist thinks it is RSD along with other body pain, hips, knees, ankles, feet. In other words, it comes from my brain being too edgy. I just don't know.
    When a doctor says I have this but theres nothing I can do for it besides seeing a biofeedback doctor and taking my migraine meds. . . . .I'm having a real hard time with believing that there is a doctor that can help me right now.
    So far there is not one who will give me a decent painkiller. I loathe my primary care doctor. I can't find another one. I know, Shiela, exactly how you feel. It is amazing to discover that doctors are not compassionate after all.