No pain, No gain? Chiro anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Oct 26, 2005.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

My Chiro was out of town for 2 weeks. I was seeing him about 2-3 times per week. He would adjust me, and massage my extremely tight muscles. I felt so drained for that timeframe. Now, I am feeling much better.
    Do you think I had to go through that deep massage to get my blood flowing again and that is the cause for my feeling better?
    2 weeks of pain, for 3-4 weeks of feeling...ok/good/better?
  2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I had severe neck and back problems years ago, along with bad headaches. I now know that it was most likely fibro, but back then I had never heard of FM and none of the doctors mentioned it. I was treated with pain killers only, but nothing helped.

I began seeing a chiropractor on the advice of some friends who had good results from regular adjustments. It was horrible! I was in so much more pain after an adjustment that I literally could not go anywhere but straight home to bed. I kept telling myself that I had to tough it out to see results in the long run, but I finally gave up after 6 months of going to the chiropractor 2x a week. Not only was I going broke, but I also felt like I was going crazy! It took me almost 6 weeks to recuperate from that pain. Awful!!!

I know lots of people who have had great results from chiropractic treatments. I'm certainly not saying it doesn't work, it just didn't work for me.

Kat
  3. teacher

teacher New Member

I see my chiro once a month and I can tell when I haven't seen her! She has many CFS/FM patients. Very sensitive to my flare ups. Only does what is neccesary and doesn't get testy when I'm too sick to come in and need to reschedule. LOVE HER!

teacher

Sorry about the "butt" icon. I was trying to get the "smily face that's clapping it's hands". NOT a good day. Guess I'll go to bed now!!! :)
    [This Message was Edited on 10/26/2005]
  4. stinker56

stinker56 New Member

I went to a chiro for about a year 3-4 times a week. The adjustments at least got me able to walk somewhat normal again but when she suggested that I have a deep tissue massage and I did...I thought I would die from the pain the next day. It was painful enough when I was having it but the next day it was the worst I have ever experienced. It may work for some but for me...I will never have massage again.
    Stinker56
  5. jbennett2

jbennett2 New Member

I have been seeing a chiro for a little over a year. When I first began, I was going twice a week, then once a week, then every two weeks, now I'm at every three weeks, mostly because of the d***insurance will only cover so many visits.

I LOVE my chiro. She is a tiny, young woman whose husband is also a chiro. She has helped me with nutrition, supplement information, and most importantly, my shoulder and neck problems. And, boy do I feel it when it's time to go back. She has quite a few FM patients, and is always willing and open to new ideas if I bring them up. I feel I should still be going every 2 weeks, but can't afford to.

As for deep tissue massage, I'd say that was a definite no-no. I have read on this board many times that it does more harm than good.