No Sleep and Lots of Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LisaMay, Sep 27, 2002.

1. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

For the last 3 nights I have gotten very little sleep, if any. For the last 4 days my pain has increased to the point I just want to cry, which doesn't help my headache. I have been taking Ambien to sleep for 1 month. Why has it stopped working? I have increased my meds to accomodate the additional pain. It is not working! I thought I was feeling better and actually returned to work on a part-time basis. I thought I paced myself. Now I've had to lay out 2 days in a row.

What's going on here? Any advice would be appreciated. Looking forward to better days. Lisa
  2. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

For the last 3 nights I have gotten very little sleep, if any. For the last 4 days my pain has increased to the point I just want to cry, which doesn't help my headache. I have been taking Ambien to sleep for 1 month. Why has it stopped working? I have increased my meds to accomodate the additional pain. It is not working! I thought I was feeling better and actually returned to work on a part-time basis. I thought I paced myself. Now I've had to lay out 2 days in a row.

What's going on here? Any advice would be appreciated. Looking forward to better days. Lisa
  3. JP

JP New Member

Hello Lisa,

So sorry to hear of your lack of sleep and increased pain. It IS the pits! I can only share what is helping me at this time. I had chronic insomnia due to chronic pain for a handful of years before I sought help. I am not big on medication and yet I am grateful for the help with my symptoms. I have had excellent results from 20mgs of Elavil at bedtime. My doc gave it to me for nerve pain and insomnia. I have been taking it for a few months now and have not experienced any bad side effects...just the wonderful benefits of reduced morning nerve pain and increased sleep with less pain. I tried a number of things from "natural" over the counter, to prescribed medications. The Elavil has been amazing. I started with 10 mgs and have increased to 20 mgs.

Hang in there...
    Jan
  4. Allen2

Allen2 New Member

Most of us have eventually found some med or procedure that helped. If your pain is treated reasonably well you will be more likely to sleep. Also, I have been immensely helped by Trazadone, a mild anti-Depressant also used for promoting sleep. No side effects in my case at least. Hope you soon find something--I remember too many long nites awake with a book and pain for my companions. God bless, Al
  5. Tammie

Tammie New Member

Hi Lisa: I too have a terrible time trying to sleep. I take Ambien and it helps. You may want to talk to your dr about it. It has been a life saver for me. Hugs Tammie.
  6. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

Lisa,
    I am sorry to hear that you are not sleeping. Lack of sleep seems to hinder any progress. I have often thought that my body gets "used to" or "immune" to meds and no longer seem to be as effective as they once were. Have you changed anything in your routine lately maybe a different type of food or something or late nite caffeine or such? Sometimes I believe there is breakthru pain. I have found if I can switch meds then they will become more effective at times. I know how you must feel with no sleep, emotional and physically drained! I can tell you a few things that occasionally help me at nite. Change your bedding. That is strip your bed change the sheets and pillowcases. Sometimes we really don't know our bodies are uncomfortable , but they are and nice smooth cool sheets helps me feel good and relax. Try taking a quick warm bath or shower just before you get into bed. Or just jump in the shower and rinse off. The warm water will refresh you and clear out your mind. Sleeptime herbal tea. Try a cup of warm herbal tea with a bit of honey. This will soothe your insides and relax you. Gives you a chance to unwind a bit before lying down. Sometimes if I have a lot on my mind and I am really hurting, I will just step out on the deck, look up at the stars and take a few deep breaths. This will also clear your mind and relax you. Don't involve the kids or anyone but you. This needs to be 5 minutes for you to "come down". Sweet dreams and I hope this helps!
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Did you start to feel better and over do. I know many of us have. Talk to your doc and see if there is something else you can do to help the pain and sleep. I hope you get some relief soon. Take care, Kim and Gary