NO SLEEP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by schnoodle, Mar 25, 2003.

1. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

I am so sick of this and am getting so depressed about not sleeping. I have the hardest time just falling asleep. When I was taking Elavil I slept very well, but I developed a sensativity to it and felt like I was itching on the inside, like restless leg syndrome - terrible feeling. I have tried sleep meds and either I have a reaction or mostly they just don't work. My body doesn't seem to recognize that I took the medication. I just doesn't work. These past 2 months I have been taking Klonopin. Sometimes it seemed to help and other times it did not. But then I developed hives and now I know it was the klonopin so I can't take that. HELP! I am tired. I hurt. I can't sleep. Why does my body not recognize the sleep meds. I just want to sleep like a normal person. This is making me crazy!
  2. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I feel the same way that you do if that helps any. I wish I could go to sleep as fast as my husband does. His head hits the pillow and he is out!! He has been snoring this last week from cold and sinus problems. If anyone knows of something to help with snoring, I would appreciate it so much!!
  3. teller7

teller7 New Member

Well that makes three of us with the same problem. It takes me hours to get to sleep and then most of the time I wake up about every hour. I think I get maybe 2 nights a week of good sleep. My doctor gave me clonazepan for the weak spells I get. It's for anxiety. When I do take it when I'm having a spell I can sleep very good for a few hours. I take one everynight and wham 2 hours later I'm still awake. Also, if anyone finds an answer to snoring I'd like to know too. My husband snores awful.
  4. goldilox

goldilox Member

Hi Schnoodle,

I have had the same sleeping problem for quite some time now...over a year. I take ambien every night and its the only medication that helps me but not always. I understand the frustration you are going through because I'm in the same situation. No other medication works on me either. I have to work as well so I find I am exhausted most of the time. I occasionally take zanax which calms me down a bit but I build up tolerance to it rather quickly and then I get quite anxious when I dont take it. I would also love to be able to sleep naturally and normally. If you find a solution please pass it on to me. Anyway, in the meantime hang on in there.

Take care,
    Sue.
  5. bejo

bejo New Member

Thankfully I am able to take Elavil plus I also take a light dose of ativan about an hour before bedtime.This works for me most of the time.I never had the problem of waking up after going to sleep,it just took me 2 or 3 hours to fall to sleep.Hopefully I can continue to take these and they will continue to work.I wish I knew of something else that might work for you because lack of sleep does make everything worse. bejo
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I sound like a broken record, but if you haven't read Dr. Paul Cheney's article in our library here on Klonopin, I highly recommend it. It explains why we can't sleep, have anxiety/panic attacks, sensory overload, and RLS. Even if you decide not to take Klonopin or Neurontin, it's well worth the read. It's the best explanation of our little seizures that I have ever read.

I did decide to take Klonopin and it has been like a miracle to me. I now get 8-10 hours of restful sleep and awaken refreshed, not groggy. My anxiety/panic attacks are gone and my sensory overload is much diminished. It also helps with my tinnitus. I don't have RLS, but I hear it helps with that and other muscle spasms.

I have been suffering from fatigue lately, but it's from stopping my ABX treatment and the return of the nasty mycoplasmas. I'm already starting to feel better. The point is that nothing helps me when the mycoplasmas take over, but the Klonopin has been a God send.

Some people here have gotten help with Elavil. For me, it did not enhance quality of sleep, left me groggy, and put 20 pounds on me very rapidly.

Do a search on Dr. Cheney's name in the library and it will bring up a list of his articles.

Love, Mikie
  7. LeLeHpr

LeLeHpr New Member

It has helped me soo much...I am sleeping 6-8 hours a night..AMAZING

Hope you get the help you need.
  8. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

Thanks for the encouraging words. Helps to know you are not alone. Mikie, I will read the information you talk about on Dr. Cheney, but like I said I can't take Klonopin anymore. Also tried Neurontin and it didn't work. But I will read the article. I have the same problem as a lot of you do with the snoring husband. He falls asleep right away. So I do go to another room which I have fixed up and then I do what one of you suggested which is that I sneak back in the bedroom when I have one of my earliest morning wake-ups. I find that helps with the feeling of not sleeping together. sometimes he doesn't even know I wasn't there all night, but most of the time he does and then we can snuggle for a little bit before morning. I find it depressing to just move into the other room totally, so this works for me right now. Thanks again to all for letting me vent. I pray for a solution. Terrible sleep again last night.
  9. judywhit

judywhit New Member

madwolf reccomends wild lettuce tea. I did get some and it helped. Got it in a loose herb at the health food store. brew about 1tb. a half hour before bed. it gave me a tummy ache and tastes yucky but it gives you a sedated feeling. I started zma and melatonin this week. I also take elavil 50mg. I do not sleep well yet! but, these things I have just added less than 1 month to my life. I am anticipating that I will get better. If I could get good sleep I would be 95% better. I feel so bad for you!!!!!! God does want us to rest. I pray for sleep everynight.
    Judy
  10. jka

jka New Member

know how you feel. every time i get something, it works for a short while, then i have to try something else. i was just on zanax, but i got use to it . now my rhumy put me on ambian. i'll try it tonight. don't you just hate those people who just fall asleep?sometimes i want to kick my husband just to wake him up!

kathy c
  11. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

Just wanted to let you know that I tried Ambien and became VERY depressed. I hope it works for you and I am sure that it does for many, but I have seen this on other posts as well. Just wanted you to be aware in case you suddenly felt depressed and didn't understand why. Yes, I would love to be able to fall asleep like my husband. I swear he is snoring in 5 or 10 minutes after his head hits the pillow. As I lay there last night I was thinking with all of this extra time (while not sleeping) I could get myself a great education or learn a new language - if I was able to see straight that is.
  12. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

I think that Flexeril is in the same family group as Elavil which I developed a reaction to. Haven't tried Pamelor. I will have to look that one up to see what family group that is in. I have tried Benedryl and it helped one night but not the other. But never 5. I was thinking tonight about going back to the Xanex to see how that works. It worked at first, but then you know how your body gets used to it and then it doesn't work at all. I wonder, can you take Xanex and benedryl? Do you know? I have this cupboard with all these meds - makes me sick. But I don't throw them out in case I have to come back to them, like tonight with maybe the Xanex. At least I didn't have a reaction to it - that I remember. Okay, I will try not to give up till I find a solution. Thanks for the encouragement.
  13. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

Thanks for the info. Since i have tried 2 tricyclic (spelling?) meds and had the itching inside feeling and restless leg syndrome, my doc won't give me anything in that family. But I get what you are saying and may press the issue. Xanex is a antianxiety medication.
  14. judywhit

judywhit New Member

the ambein and depression!!! I have been feeling very blue lately. It was not a normal feeling for me. I bet it is the ambien. praying for your rest.
    Judy
  15. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Heres another Broken Record person! I slept like one of you mentioned. For an hour or two then woke up and could not go back to sleep. This went on for my whole life!

Here is what I take, and I am now sleeping from 7-8 hours a night, deep, deep sleep! No more up all night stuff!

At 6pm I take a 0.25 milligrams of Xanax (been taking this same amount for 15 years, never had to up the dose) for racing brain syndrome.

At 10pm I take 2 capsules of ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and Vitamin B-6), this ladies, is the key to deep sleeping for me! It also helps with my Fibro pain, and keeps my bowels regular.

Right before bed I take 1 3milligrams of Melatonin, this helps me fall asleep in half an hour.

Mel takes Klonopin with the ZMA and it works for him.

The ZMA does take at least 10 days to work for most people, but works soon for others.

I have been taking this now for 1 year, the longer I take it the better I am sleeping.

Both the ZMA and the Melatonin can be bought here at Pro Health at a better price than anywhere else.

Its worth a try, and its sure wonderful if it helps you like it did me, and its only supplements.

Shalom, Shirl

16. robin

robin New Member

Me four. I slept fine until I switched RA doctors
    and had to go on new meds cause old ones weren't
    working anymore. Since I came off Plaquenil, Imuran
    and gold shots I have not slept well! Meanwhile my
    health continues to decline cause of so little sleep!
    I am on Arava (not working), Vioxx just started this
    week, and 10 mg a day (5 in a.m., 5 in pm.) of Prednisone
    to deal with inflammation of my RA...
    I am writing this at 1;30 a.m. Thursday morn. Everyone
    else in bed asleep and I am wide awake! :>( And
    not happy about it. i sure miss my days of regular
    sleep!! But its a small comfort to come online and talk
    to the boards and fine fellow sufferers. I just hope
    my condition isn't permanent!!
    Well, guess I'll log off, and go upstairs and eat my
    orange then go to sleep...I HOPE! I never woke up
    hungry either before and I know its the Prednisone as
    it increases one's appetite..the LAST thing I need as
    I am hoping to lose weight when my medicines are
    finally settled and I'm back to "my" normal.
  17. robin

robin New Member

Me four. I slept fine until I switched RA doctors
    and had to go on new meds cause old ones weren't
    working anymore. Since I came off Plaquenil, Imuran
    and gold shots I have not slept well! Meanwhile my
    health continues to decline cause of so little sleep!
    I am on Arava (not working), Vioxx just started this
    week, and 10 mg a day (5 in a.m., 5 in pm.) of Prednisone
    to deal with inflammation of my RA...
    I am writing this at 1;30 a.m. Thursday morn. Everyone
    else in bed asleep and I am wide awake! :>( And
    not happy about it. i sure miss my days of regular
    sleep!! But its a small comfort to come online and talk
    to the boards and fine fellow sufferers. I just hope
    my condition isn't permanent!!
    Well, guess I'll log off, and go upstairs and eat my
    orange then go to sleep...I HOPE! I never woke up
    hungry either before and I know its the Prednisone as
    it increases one's appetite..the LAST thing I need as
    I am hoping to lose weight when my medicines are
    finally settled and I'm back to "my" normal.
  18. robin

robin New Member

TO TELLER 7 AND OTHERS; my husband snores too and
    after my waking him up to "roll over" (like my mom
    used to do with my dad!) my husband and I finally
    chose to sleep in separate areas. He now hunkers down
    on couch while watching t.v. and uses it also as a bed.
    I stay upstairs and.....during good times...I sleep.
    going thru bad time now and NOT a happy camper!
    I can feel my sleep meds working on me but I wake up
    as soon as I hit the bed! geez louize...:>(

Robin
  19. schnoodle

schnoodle New Member

I have been reading your posts - this one and another - and I feel we are twins. So, I feel for you too! Hang in there. Anyways, I have been reading all of your posts and I thank you so much. I have been reading a lot of posts about the ZMA. Do you really think it helps? Silly questions. I guess it must or you guys wouldn't have posted on it. I just get tired of spending money on all of these things and then they don't work. But you guys seem to really think it works so I will get some. Anyways, just wanted to update you. LAST NIGHT I ACTUALLY SLEPT. Don't want to get my hopes up though, because if I get one night my body usually figures it out and then I don't get another. I feel so much better this morning. I dug out my old prescriptions and decided it was okay to take Xanex and Restoril both. I took the Xanex about 7 p.m. and then took the restoril about 8:30. I slept from about 10 to 7:30 this am. Happy Days! I didn't feel sleepy, although I was exhausted, but just went to bed and it happened. I will see what happens tonight. When I took the Xanex before my body built up a tollerance, that's why I no longer took it. When I took the Restoril it worked one night but no longer. So, I don't know if it is the combination of the 2 or if I had a lucky night. I am thankful either way for one night's sleep and will see what happens. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR INFORMATION AND SUPPORT.
  20. thearae

thearae New Member

Hello Schnoodle-
    I've had the same sleep probs.
    Pamelor worked great for me for many years, but put on 50 lbs.
    Flexeril has been my best friend- for sleep.
    Takes me alittle while to get there, but after i fall asleep
    I sleep thru for about 6-7 hours.
    It does'nt seem especially hard to get.
    Hope you can try it and it works for you like it did for me.
    Good Luck-
    ~THEA~