No solution for Neck pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manwithfibro, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

My neck is killing me...especially the area where it attaches to the skull. The pain is all the way up my head to the top.

Any idea what to do for this?

Really hurting of late.
  2. RedB

RedB New Member

But, since I've finally discovered what causes it, I seldom let it get so severe anymore.

Basically, sitting at the computer brings it on, and if I keep sitting after that, it stays with me. Sometimes long periods in a car can also cause it.

I've learned to keep getting up and down a lot when at the computer, and if I still feel it coming on, I know when to quit, and go do something else -- basically standing things, which will eventually help the pain ease up.

Kathy
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

I have the same problem.

My doc did a CT Scan (could not get an MRI due to a pacemaker), and it showed that I had degenerating disks, a pinched nerve, bone spurs, severe spinal stenosis, and a bunch of other stuff that I did not know what it meant.

I went to physical therapy to learn how to strengthen my neck and ease the pain.

4. JQP

JQP New Member

Used tosuffer really badly with this, and when my neck cracked it was like something else, the pain staying for ages afterwards.

Anyway, the pysioterrorist discovered on me that stretching traction made all of me worse, but by putting pressure on my neck the pain could be relieved for a while!

So, I sit comfortably in a chair, lock my fingers together and apply an even, but fairly hefty pressure to the top of my head. Whilst the hands are there, it feels good!

Jacqui
  5. mystijul

mystijul New Member

Before I got on the thyroid meds, MSM & chiro were what I controlled the neck pain with.
    Peace,
    Julie
  6. Manwithfibro

Manwithfibro New Member

I work as an institutional trader and am at a computer all day. Probably does not help. What can I do? I have a family to support. Sucks.
  7. bylker

bylker New Member

My MRI showed I had spinal stenosis causing my neck and head pain. I had surgery in October -a cervical fusion- and my pain is gone. Wish I had done it earlier. Without the surgery there was a possibility of paralysis in my case.
    Also, my feather pillow has been a Godsend. My MIL bought me one for Christmas and when i have a headache I can situate just right on that pillow and pain leaves. My neurologist told me this is the best kind to sleep on.

Hugs,
    bylker
  8. jka

jka New Member

i go have a massage once aweek.she has really helped to loosen up the knots in my back and neck.i have a lot of pain along the base of my skull too.she spends extra time on that area because she says that is where the headaches come from. i've also just started to go to a chiropractor who knows something about fibro. neck ajustments and eletric stymulation (sp) on the tender points on my head,face and neck have also helped.i hardly ever get headaches anymore.hope this helps.

kathy c
  9. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

I have the same problem as the rest of you. When I'm not in too much paih I. lie on my stomach with legs outstretched and lift my arms straight out and back.It helps to keep the pain from coming back as strong as I did have it. However, when I am in pain I use a wooden rolling pin. I have a long one so I can easily reach behind me and I roll it over my shoulders, neck and sometimes back of my skull. It is a temporary fix but, it works until my husband comes home and can "release" my trigger points. I hope this helps you some.

Lisa
  10. reva727

reva727 New Member

I can relate. I second the motions about the chiropractor and the massages. I do have some disk problems in my neck which probably is part of my problem. Have you had an MRI or cat scan?
    By the way, about your name, I'm sure you are much more than your fibromyalgia.
  11. kgg

kgg New Member

You must know that there are experts that do this. Or have an occupationl therapist evaluate it. Do you do stretches and change your position frequently?

Ditto on the massage, chiropracter and cold/heat(whatever works). Massage helped me the most.
  12. healing

healing New Member

I have the exact same pain. Mine is partially connected to degenerated discs in my neck, but what helps it is trigger point therapy, myofascial release. My PT gives me gentle, mild traction that helps tremendously.

I also have worked on my posture -- when you sit at your desk and work at your computer, are you slouched with your shoulders rounded and neck sagged? I consciously tuck my chin in and sit up straight. You may need to adjust the height of your computer and check your eyes for strain.

Also, get a still point inducer. It's a small rubber device that looks like a small baboon's fanny. Silly! [You can get nearly the same results with two tennis balls tied together in a nylon stocking. The still point inducer works better, though.] Anyway, you lie back and place the back of your head (where those two little indentations are, just above the knobby part) on the "balls" part of the still point inducer and then just relax. It will still your system and in fact relax those tight places in your head. I have fallen asleep on mine. You can find this device (which really, really is a wonderful thing to have around) through a Google search.

Hope all this helps!
  13. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

Since my 1st bad car accident it has been a ongoing prob. ZI was getting some relief finally from generic muscle relaxer now they went to cheaper kind and I am right back to square 1. Mild traction from pt helped some but cannot afford now. Also massage when I could afford. Now I have so much cervical damage do not know where to begin.

This was a huge complaint of most fm patients at clinic.

Just hope you can get some relief. If misery likes company fm people have been battling this issue. That is why I do wonder about the Chiari theory.

I have tried so many treatments like others. Surg was suggested but chance of paralized was a little too high for me.

Take Care~~~~~~~~~
  14. DrP

DrP New Member

I have a similar problem with severe and contant pain in the neck triggered at the base of the skull. Mine is from a 114 degree reverse curvature of the neck and constant muscle spasms. It is causing additional problems because of the way it is affecting my automatic body processes.

I have just spent 7-8 years as a full time undergradute/ doctoral student. The constant computer work and reading exacerbated the situation. I am now seeing a chiropractor who uses adjustment, cold packs, and some traction, if possible with the pain. It is helping. But first, I needed to know what was going on. It is too critical an area to take chances. Please get checked out before you do anything. Ergonomically adjusting your computer station may help in addition to findout out what the problem is. Best of luck. I will keep you in my prayers.
  15. Kay2

Kay2 New Member

I have started seeing a chiro who does nucca and I feel SO much better. I have deterating sp! disc's and a very mess up neck, do to a car accident years ago. It has been a month now that I have been seeing him and I tell yo what I cant believe how much better I am feeling.I have not had a major headache,and my eye sight has gotton so good. NO more blurred vision. It has taken alot of seeing him but it is well worth i. Our atlas in our neck controlls all our body. I know it sounds off the wall, but do research on it. You can also get a free video on it. He doesn't do any snapping or cracking. VERY gentle with his treatment. I had tried everything from heat, ice and nothing helped. There are people on here who also go to a chiro who specializes in this kind of treatment. Just search nucca. There is a ton of info on this. Good luck, Linda
  16. marykello4

marykello4 New Member

Hi anyone that can help. I have been reading some of the posts,and am wondering what to do about neck pain. Someone mentioned ucca. What is that ? Mine feels more sore than pain on the left side of the neck. LOL.TOT
  17. Shirl

Shirl New Member

This is not a cure, but you will sure get some relief.

Take a mans tub sock, fill it three quarters full of raw rice, tie a knot in the end.

Put them in the freezer if you want cold, or in the microwave for heat. The pressure of the rice in the socks seem to help with the pain also.

I have six to eight make up at all times. I keep half of them in the freezer (the rice just freezes, but does not get soggy or wet like a ice pack, so its cold and dry).

If you want heat try 2 minutes in the microwave, or test and see how hot you want it.

My daughter works at a computer all day, she has her chiropractor adjust her neck for her as she gets this type of pain, and she also uses the rice socks.

HOpe you get some relief soon.

Shalom, Shirl
  18. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

except acupuncture/accupressure.(insurance doesn't cover)There is NOTHING I can do that will take away my neckpain.I was told I have to "live with it" and that is what I am doing.There is not even 1 minute that my pain goes away,ever.
  19. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

except acupuncture/accupressure.(insurance doesn't cover)There is NOTHING I can do that will take away my neckpain.I was told I have to "live with it" and that is what I am doing.There is not even 1 minute that my pain goes away,ever.
  20. Jen F

Jen F New Member

Sorry to hear that...

must be awful not to find anything that helps.

How bad is the pain on a pain scale and how much does it interfere with your life?

I'm one who believes in narcotics for ppl who don't get pain relief from anything else and who are really suffering with a very low quality of life.

I don't need them myself, at least I haven't yet -- my neck is killing me right now, so I'm off to take a Tylenol 3 -- but I have a friend with FM who has a lot of debilitating back pain. She has tried so many things and is finally resorting to oxycontin, which I suggested to her a long time ago. She fought against the idea for ages, but I am so glad she is finally willing to try it since I think quality of life is important.

I hope you experience some relief, eventually, at least!