Nobel prize for going against the medical establishment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KelB, Oct 4, 2005.

1. KelB

KelB New Member

The two doctors who found that most stomach ulcers are caused by a bacteria, and not stress as previously thought, have just been awarded the Nobel Prize.

They came up with research results that flew in the face of accepted medical "facts" and were widely ridiculed and discredited for twenty years. They only finally managed to convince the establishment, when one of them deliberately swallowed some of the bacteria and made himself ill to prove the theory.

Up to that point, ulcers were treated as a psychological issue. Is this starting to sound familiar?

The Nobel citation actually cites "tenacity and willingness to challenge prevailing dogmas" as one of the reasons they got their award.

Lovely quote from one of the doctors: "It is nice to be officially recognised and it gives some sort of a stamp of approval, but we believed it within a few months because it was so bloody obvious".

And the reason I'm posting this, is because ONE DAY this will happen to the doctors who find the root cause and treatment for CFS and FM.

There is hope for us - the hidebound medical establishment doesn't always win. There are courageous doctors out there, researching our illnesses, who will win in the end.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2005]
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I remember reading about the ulcer doctors a few years ago, and the way they had to fight the medical establishment was stunning.

I'm glad you have reminded us that some docs go against the establishment and find cures for things that seem uncureable. I am also glad the docs got the Nobel Prize. A well-deserved award.

Thanks for posting.
    Sue
  3. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

because my son was diagnosed with the H-Pylori bacteria at 17 and would have developed an ulcer if those scientists hadn't stuck with their beliefs.

love
    Rosie
  4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

5. tansy

tansy New Member

real researchers and scientists being given this kind of recognition. Progress in most fields comes about through those who think outside the box so "tenacity and willingness to challenge prevailing dogmas" is a good definition.

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 10/04/2005]
  6. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I thought of the correlation to CFS as soon as I heard the news of the awards.

Let's hear it for tenacity and willingness to challenge prevailing dogmas!
  7. Prunella

Prunella New Member

I love this story. I always use it as an example of an illness like ours that was finally proven to be real.

I also love it because I still suspect that the root cause of CFS and FM has something to do with the gut... bacterial overgrowth, acic - too much or too little, or who knows what!
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

Good article.

Thanks for sharing.
  9. jaltair

jaltair New Member

She had problems and was diagnosed with an ulcer. I had to prepare special diets and give her medication to combat the "acid stomach." I also dealt with quite a bit of guilt. After all, I was her mother. What was I doing or not doing that caused her to be so stressed out?

Several years ago when these two individuals from Australia, Barry J. Marshall (Research and Clinical Professor), and J. Robin Warren (Pathology), discovered that Helicobacter pylori causes more than 90% of duodenal ulcers and up to 80% of gastric ulcers, I felt relieved. Relieved that there was a 90% chance that I hadn't contributed to my 8-year-old daughter's duodenal ulcer!

I salute these scientists for their discovery and great contribution to this world!
  10. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I am glad to see that they recieved the Nobel prize.I heard of some that were recommended,glad to hear these 2 doctors were awarded.One more step towards proving that illnesses are not just stress related there is more to it than that.

Sheila
  11. orachel

orachel New Member

...we all feel with these DD's that are so varied and impossible to control, I simply cannot IMAGINE being a hard working physician who used research to find ABSOLUTE CAUSE for something as prevalent and terribly painful as ulcers and being sooo frustrated that your work could help NOONE because you couldn't convince anyone in the medical community to take a look at your data!

Just a thought here...and maybe this is a tad "conspiracy theory-ish", but isn't it amazing the number of prescription and otc medications that are designed to "control" pain and symptoms of ulcers, but NOT to treat them. One (at least this one! ME! lol) can't help wonder if somehow the pharmaceutical companies that produce these "bandaids" for the symptoms of ulcers had any possible influence in prolonged refusal of the medical community to credit the work of these brilliant researchers.

Just a thought.

It is a brilliant ray of hope for us. I personally believe that we're a lot closer to absolute "causation" of FM and CFS as well...isn't it great thinking of an absolute "cure" out there, just waiting for medical community to take notice of some brilliant scientist's work?!

Makes me feel a bit better, anyway!

Great post, KelB!!!
    Rachel