Nodules on Thyroid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Nikki, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Nikki

Nikki Member

I posted earlier this week about going to an Endochrinologist.

My appt. was on Tues. The Dr. found nodules on my thyroid and sent me to have an ultrasound the next day (yesterday). I'm assuming that most nodules are non-cancerous, so I'm not too worried.

However, I understand some people have to have their's removed b/c it becomes too large and presses on other thingys in your neck.

I do have lots of fat pads on either side of my neck and under my neck . . . these were not there a year ago.

Anyone else had problems like this with their thyroid?

Hugs,
    Nikki
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

Yes, I have Autonomous Multi Nodular Goiter. Had Goiter and nodules that we watched, and treated with Synthroid, for years. Well, it obviously didn't help, at all. And obviously wasn't watched properly. Even with multiple scans, uptakes, ultrasounds and biopsys.

Anyway, nodules can be hot or cold. They can produce hormone on their own. You may eventually need biopsy, but it really is nothing. Just be sure to get it checked regularly.
  3. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have lots of cysts and nodules on my thyroid. I have had a ulrasound once every 3 monthes to make sure they aren`t getting any bigger. My doctor also did a needle biopsy but didn`t get a very good sample. Its been a year and a half and they are about the same. A few have even gotten a little smaller. I think its just part of the thyroid disease because of the FM.

Hugs,
    Sandy
  4. Nikki

Nikki Member

I figured someone out there would have the same thing.

We may not have all the answers . . . but, we can all share the same experiences.

I haven't heard back from my dr. today, so I guess it's not earth shattering news (thats good). I'll probably call tomorrow.

Chat w/ya later...........I'm gonna go play w/my grand daughters before their parents pick them up.

& to all a good night!
    Nikki
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I just had a thyroid ultrasound, nuclear uptake and scan done. They found one tiny nodule and the scans were negative. My endo was looking for hyperthyroid as my TSH is always low, but the rest of the panel is normal.

I was not treated with any meds, only to keep an eye on the nodule and TSH in 6 months. I'm not worried about the nodule either---they say (Mayo clinic) that 95% are non-cancerous.

Just curious if a tiny nodule can produce excess thyroid hormone. That's my problem.

Tania
  6. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I had 5 growths on the r. side of my thyroid. This side of my thyroid was surgically removed about 2 years ago.

Yes, mine was large---about the size of a tennis ball! It was distorting my esophagus. They removed the entire r. side and my esophagus returned to its normal position. It was not cancerous.
  7. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

I had a nodule a few yrs ago. They did ultrasound 1st, & it was inconclusive, so they did a biopsy next. After the biopsy, it read inconclusive also, which scared me, so the ENT decided the best thing to do was take it out due to the size. He said it was getting large enough it could eventually cause problems w/ cutting off the airway, etc. So, he did it outpatient, he only took out one side, & I was back home that early evening. No problems, other than swelling. I was just suppossed to gargle w/ salt water, take pain meds, & use ice for swelling , even though there was a bandage there. Good luck, hope this helps :)

PS - I do have Hashimotos thyroiditis now, but since my T-3 & T-4 are still in the normal range, they don't have to give me any thyroid supplement. Eventually, it will "burn itself out" though, so I have to have blood work every 6 months from now on.
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I have had three nodules for years. I also have a dx of Hashimotos due to the fact that the antibodies show on thyroid needle biopsies. STrangely, by blood work never showed this, just the needle biopsy. A new nodule appeared this year and where this new nodule showed Hashimotos, the ones that used to show it have now gone ordinary tissue. My advice was to have needle biopsy done on any new nodule, and have ultra sound scans every year to keep a check the nodules are still OK. Never to just let it go.

I hope this helps.

Love Annie C
  9. klarry

klarry New Member

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease after developing thyroid nodules. Immediately my doctor put me on Synthroid. I have regular blood tests to make sure I am on the right dose. Since starting the medicine my nodules have shrunk, which I understand is due to my thyroid shutting down as I rely on the medicine. An ultrasound confirmed the change within a year. Good luck.
  10. Nikki

Nikki Member

Gosh y'all are just great.

I'll just have to wait until Mon. to find out anything. My endo wants to review everything I was tested for before she gives me the results . . . guess that makes sense.

The Lab drew about 7 viles of blood. I'm glad she's doing more intensive tests.

But, I'm pretty sure everything will turn up negative as always . . . guess that's kinda good & bad. I would just like someone to find something that can be treated w/o any bad side effects - just don't find anything fatal . . . don't we all.

Again, thanks so much to each & every one of you.

Hugs to All,
    Nikki
  11. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Hi Nikki,

Hope it is not too late to post on this. My experience: had left lobe removed in 92, everything ok; was previously on med and had to stay on med.

Been singing most of my life; now, have 2 nodules on right side, one being 3 cm, if becomes 4 cm, will have to come out. Just had it checked in Nov and things still the same.

Unfortunately, if it does have to come out, due to previous "other" surgeries, will be very, risky about damage to vocal cords. That doesn't pertain to you because I suppose you didn't have other surgeries up there.

Yes, voice has become hoarse; can't sing anymore; very unhappy but just deal with it.

I wouldn't worry because like you said, my dr. also said that nodules were usually benign and mine was; had to have biopsy.

Hope all is well,

BlueSky555
  12. Nikki

Nikki Member

So sorry about your vocal cords. It's very difficult to stop singing when you've been singing all your life.

I got my test results back from my Endo. My nodules are very small - so we leave them alone. However, I am very deficient in Vitamin D, Iron, and have zero testosterone. No wonder I want to sleep all day. (I have fibro w/fatigue, osteoarthritis, bursitis, tendonitis.) My endo. wants me to take OTC meds for D and Iron. She's Rx'g more hormones for short time only.

She also thinks I may be going thru menopause. I'm 61 and had partial hysterectomy (ovaries were not taken) at 32. I thought I had breezed thru menopause in my 30's. Hot flashes and night sweats have been going on for about 3 yrs.

Dr. says it's not unusual to begin menopause @ 58 and finish up at 64. So what do I know?!?

(OT - My spelling is outrageously bad. Words don't look right to me anymore - I suppose a great deal of us have that problem now. Fibro fog is my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.)

Thanks again for your input. I pray your other nodule never has to be taken out.

Hugs,
    Nikki