NOFOOL, et.al, good science/health/related boooks

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Jun 21, 2008.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Nofool, you posted about Dr. Goldsteins book and I am planning on getting it.

Have you read or heard of the following book:

Trick or treatment? Alternative Medicine on Trial by Simon Singh and Edzard Ernst

I know we had both posted about an article that Edzard Ernst had written.

If you have read this book I would like your perspective on it.

Otherwise,

Anyone else read this book?

Thanks.

GA
    [This Message was Edited on 06/22/2008]
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Thanks so much for the feedback.

I guess since the authors are from Great Britain, that is why it is not printed here? Who knows, however I was impressed with the article we both read.

Now how do you know I am not a book literate doctor or as I am often called a BLD. When people come to me I only prescribe books.

You know what they say about people assuming things. LOL

Take care,

GA
  3. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

A great non-fiction writer. Singh's a top-notch physicist. I read his book "The Big Bang" about the origins of the universe. He makes the excitement of the scientific process
    transparent.

Heard about this book also. Will be out 8/2008 in the U.S., available for pre-order at Amazon.
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I might put this post on the chit chat, but will wait a bit to see what kind of books come up.
    GA
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I accidently deleted my post to you.

Thanks for the book idea. I find science fascinating although my degree is in the humanities. However my career included some science or maybe I should say math in experimental design and statistics.

However, I love the science books.

GA
  6. Lichu3

Lichu3 New Member

to just the subjects usually considered "scientific" (physics, biology, chemistry, etc.). As you note, experimental design cuts across a lot of humanities fields as well.

My background is in a traditional science but some of the best teachers I had were researchers in sociology, economics, and psychology. One of the best books I've ever read was by Campbell and Stanley -- 1960s social scientists -- it's the "Strunk and White" of research design - short but packed with info. Even business methods of quality control and improvement have some of their origins from the scientific method.
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes, you are absolutely right.

Good point!!

GA