Nofool Others : Interesting video on rewiring the brain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Waynesrhythm, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi Nofool, Others,

I just ran across the following video on a PBS program call Wired Science. It's an 11-minute video in all, sort of broken down in two parts.

The first part (about 7 minutes) describes how blind people can see by substituting their tongue for their eyes to send signals to the brain.

The second segment (about 4 minutes) is the one that caught my attention. It describes a woman who took antibiotics that totally destroyed her inner ear balance meachanisms, and left her unable to walk and worse.

They were able to rewire her brain so that she was able to walk again, apparently after creating new brain pathways not normally associated with balance.

To be honest, I'm not clear on the specifics. But it did remind me of Goldstein's work where he tried to modulate how the brain reacted to various stimuli. It made me wonder whether this could be a possible therapy of the future for some of us with dysfunctional brains.

I would be interested in your take on this. Specifically, whether you feel it has any resemblance at all to Goldstein's work and protocols. I'm not thinking particularly clearly these days, so it's possible I may have somewhat misinterpreted the video.

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 12/20/2007]
  2. cct

cct Member

I think that I saw the video clips that you are refering to on PBS some time ago . . . I remember the man "seeing" with his tongue !

3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

No idea about your question, but there are some great clips on that site.

The one about Dangerous Science got my attention. The percent of college students going into chemistry has dropped by 2/3 over the past few decades. How are we going to get cures if no one studies science?

They've taken the guts out of science toys for kids because of the dangers. So instead we send our kids outside to play football where they knock their brains out. No one minds that risk - it's worth it, right? But the risk of a science toy is too great - so kids never get to play with it and learn that science is exhilarating. How screwed up is that?
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I had a bad concussion when I was 11 or 12. It caused a third-nerve injury to my eys. I was seeing double. I had to take visual rehab where I stared into a screen and tried to align objects. It "rewired" my brain to use a different part than that which was injured to take over for my sight. Strangely, my daughter had the same injury at about the same age and the visual training worked for her too.

I took to wearing monovision contacts so fast the docs couldn't believe it. We think it was because of the "rewiring" of my brain.

Love, Mikie
  5. Ginner

Ginner New Member

Thanks Wayne for video..

Happy Holidays!
    Merry Christmas !
  6. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Is there a way to rewire my olfactory system. I'm 90% better than a year ago. But, solvents can still make me just as sick or worse if I breath them for more than a few minutes.
  7. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hey Nofool, Others,

Thanks all for responding. Nofool, I'm sort of relieved to find out I wasn't way out in left field with some of my thinking.

RE: "Goldstein mentioned Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS), Vagal Nerve Stimulation (VNS), and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), as being possible future treatments for CFS."

*** I find it really interesting that Goldstein, who had so much success with using various drugs to modulate neural responses in patients with CFS, was considering other types of nerve/brain stimulation as well.

I sometimes think about low cortisol levels that are prevalent in CFS. I think Lisapetrison has mentioned that it's not so much the adrenals being weakened, as it is the inability of the brain to tell the adrenals to function properly.

And then there's neurally mediated hypotension. Again, apparently the inability of the hypothalamus to properly control blood pressure, etc. I'm not sure on the specifics of any of this, but it sure does seem to point to the inability of the brain to properly communicate with the rest of the body.

Then there's the whole HPA dysfunction that seems to be a factor for many of us.

Hi Mikie,

Thanks for sharing your story on your getting rewired after your concussion. It's surprising to me that they had this type of therapy "back in those days". Hope you don't mind my wording here. :)

I also had a serious concussion/head injury at age 15. I've wondered in the past whether I might more accurately be experiencing post-concussion syndrome. Your story might just be a catalyst for me to look further into various neural retraining therapies. I think I'm ready to get rewired if that is still a possibility for me.

Hey Carron - Always nice to hear from you! :)

Hey Ginner - Still working on pulling them strings for you! :)

Hey Clay - I always appreciate seeing and reading your posts. Thanks for replying.

Hi Woofmom - I would love to know how to rewire my olfactory system as well. It amazes me how "phantom" smells can show up hours after I first came into contact with them. It's like they imprint my neurological system and get into some kind of feedback loop. Can't help but think some kind of Goldstein protocol could help me disrupt some of this dysfunctional neurological processing.

Regards to All,

[This Message was Edited on 12/21/2007]
  8. aftermath

aftermath New Member

The story that Clay discussed--about how nobody wants anything to do with science--was really interesting. It can be viewed <a href="">here</a>.

The whole topic of rewiring the brain is very interesting. The brain rewiring itself in a negative way is one of the two main theories behind ME/CFS. It's thought that the brain may "blow a fuse" in attempt to protect itself from a perceived all-out attack (stress and an infectious agent together).

The other theory, obviously, being an active infectious agent (e.g. EBV, HHV-6A, CPN, etc).
  9. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Don't forget about excitotoxins.
  10. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

I just remembered a story I heard once. Apparently, if you give a person a pair of glasses that turns the image upside down, the brain will, within a couple days or so, compensate and turn the image right side up again.

Once the person quit wearing the glasses, the brain then needed another couple days to revert back to normal. Another example of the "plasticity" of the brain. I think that's what they're calliing it these days.

Hi Woofmom - When you mention excitotoxins, do you mean aspartame, MSG and that kind of stuff? I myself rather assiduously stay away from all that. In fact, I lead a pretty saintly life when it comes to what I ingest. A necessity, as the consequences of not doing so are pretty uncomfortable.

Hi Aftermath - Do you think it's possible we "blew a fuse" because of an infectious agent?

Also, could you share how you were able to create that link to the Dangerous Science segment. I would love to learn how to do that. Thanks. And thanks for your reply.

Regards, Wayne
  11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Docs used to believe that rewiring would only work in the young. They now know that all our lives, our brains are making new neural connections. The more we do a certain activity, the more hardwired we become in that area. We can teach old dogs new tricks :)

Love, Mikie
  12. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I just saw the episode of Wired Science that you mentioned. I immediately thought of us with CFS and FMS when I saw the piece about rewiring the brain. I wasn't aware that Goldstein has been working on something like that for us.

Aftermath, that was a cool link about the old chemistry sets. It's a shame that the new sets don't use real chemicals anymore. I'm glad that some teachers are taking matters into their own hands and are acquiring materials that make learning chemistry fun for their students.

13. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

The information in this thread has been much on my mind lately. Thought I'd give it a bump here tonight.

14. victoria

victoria New Member

Thanks Wayne... I missed this thread back then, glad you bumped it up! Sounds very interesting!

all the best,

15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Here's a piece about the brains of meditating monks. It's several years old and more imaging studies have been done on monks since then.

Interesting stuff, for sure.

Peace out,