NOISE IS A NUISANCE

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Dec 23, 2002.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

THE RESTURANTS ARE FULL, THE STORES ARE FULL, PARTIES HAVE IT....NOISE!!!!!!!

IS IT JUST MY BRAIN OR IS THIS THE NORM FOR FM?
    HOLIDAY CHATTER IS GETTING ON MY NERVES.

ONCE A LONG TIME AGO (SEEMS LIKE) I WOULD LOVE TO VISIT THE MALLS AND EAT OUT. NOW, THE HUSTLE & BUSTLE FEELS LIKE IT IS RUSHING BY ME AND I AM IN SLOW MOTION.
    PEOPLE'S MOUTHS ARE MOVING, BUT I CAN'T HEAR WHAT THEY SAY.

I HAVE ATTENDED 3 PARTIES THIS SEASON AND THE THOUGHT OF 1 MORE MAKES ME WANT TO SCREAM!

NOISE AND NERVES SEEM TO BE GOING HAND IN HAND THIS SEASON.

JUST WANTED TO SOUND OFF.
    granmama
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

i totally am with you ive been putting cotton in my ears!
    ive actually felt like yelling shut up in stores!
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The noise is bad enough for "normal" people but most of us suffer from sensory overload. I just slip 1/4 of a Klonopin under my tongue and it really helps me deal with noise.

Love, Mikie
  4. carmi1

carmi1 New Member

My acute sensitivity to noise is a source of misery for me and a major marital problem. My husband likes the TV going all evening. I can't get real interested in just watching anything but would like to sit in the same room and read for companionship. (He will allow talking during the commercials.) He is slightly hard of hearing and the high volume interferes with my ability to read and comprehend. Unfortunately, I end up isolating and feeling bad. He is very scornful, doesn't seem to mind the noise and gets very upset if I ask him to turn it down. The volume of the commercials drives me crazy.

I am undiagnosed but very sure that I have had FM for many years. There is only one rheumatology group in town and their introductory letter was so rude/hauty I decided not to go. Any suggestions? I don't think my husband would wear headphones.

Ann
  5. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

me as well. Not only noise but smells sometimes get me when I am in flare.

i am the same way--i just got finished yelling at the kids because one has music on and the other a television and I cannot stand the input of both.

I get on overload a lot when out and about all the time.

No answers here I am afraid just letting you know you are not alone.

Cathy
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

One of my sons has a mild hearing loss and also likes the TV turned up louder so he can really hear it. When he knows I need a bit of peace and quiet he turns on the closed captioning. He usually keeps the volume on, but is able to lower it without missing out on half of what is said. This is available on most new model TV's. If this option is available to you I highly recommend it.

Barbara
  7. kaymac

kaymac New Member

Amen on the noise. Me too. I don't like people talking real close to me, even my boys, but loud tv and radios are the worst!

kaymac
  8. karen55

karen55 New Member

My office Christmas luncheon was last week in a popular restaurant, and even though we went at opening, the place quickly filled to capacity and by the middle of the meal I felt edgy and disoriented and couldn't keep track of a conversation, it was like my head was buzzing.

I am sitting alone here in the dark just enjoying the quite tonight. :)

Karen
  9. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I'm right with you ladies..Never understood the past few years why I felt like people in a restuarant and stuff, were like "buzzing bees" in my ears....Drives me crazy..Then when I start coming on board, I realized I wasn't the only one and it must be connected with the FM..
    When I'm home during the day by myself, I often do not have anything like tv. or radio, stereo on......I just talk to myself...LOL........
    Merry Christmas............Love, Donna
  10. crimsontide

crimsontide New Member

Noise bothers me all year 'round, but it does seem worse this time of year. My husband thinks he has to have the tv on constantly and it makes it hard for me to read. I know what you mean about the commercials---I want to scream!I think I'm going to try the ear plugs. I take klonopin for sleep but may ask my doc about it at my next appt. Being in groups or crowds of people really bothers me. Sensory overload seems to be getting more and more frequent.

lee ann

11. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

I allready hear buzzing in my ear, have tinuitis,spelling..
    So.. the increased noise, oh well. I just deal with it, but understand it can drive you crazy! It is so much noisier this time of year.

I take a xanax when I feel overloaded with it all myself!

I got a good laugh about peoples mouths moving, and cant understand a word they say, I just nod my head and say uh huh..LOL.

:)
  12. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I'm going to have my husband read these posts! I have been suffering for years from noise sensitivity and didn't know why! He is an Audiologist and the company he works for manufactures ear plugs - I have a never-ending supply! I keep a pair in my bag at all times - if I'm out and someone's voice annoys me, or music is too loud, I can pop them in. What also really bothers me are those horrible people who BLAST their stereos in their cars and you can actually FEEL the bass going. I hate them! I have this problem all year long - not just when I'm in a flare. It drives me crazy! I don't suppose it will go away. I just wish I knew why it happens.....

Annette2
  13. granmama

granmama New Member

OH GOSH, I LOVE MY FAMILY AND MY GRANDKIDS, BUT I'M GLAD THEY ARE HOME NOW AND I'M AT PEACE!!!

MY DAUGHTER HAS FM TOO AND SHE IS THE SAME WITH CROWDS AND LOTS OF NOISE, SHE SHOPS AT WALMART AT 6AM, JUST TO AVOID THE CROWDS. SHE HAS PANIC ATTACKS AND IS ON PAXIL.

ALL THIS NOISE AGGRAVATION CAME TO A HEAD LAST WEEK, WHEN I MET MY SISTER FOR LUNCH AT OLIVE GARDEN AT 11AM.
    I ACTUALLY COULD HEAR HER IN OUR CONVERSATION, BY 11:30 SHE WAS FADING OUT AND BY NOON, I WAS READING HER LIPS!!!

I HATE WE HAVE THIS ADDED BAGGAGE, BUT I'M GLAD I'M NOT ALONE EITHER. THANK YOU ALL FOR MAKING ME FEEL NORMAL (SO TO SPEAK) IN THIS FIBRO CONTROLLED WORLD WE LIVE IN.

granmama
    [This Message was Edited on 12/25/2002]
  14. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

That is such a problem with me, when I am in a restaurant or drug store (my favorite hangout, the pharmacy) I tend to not get too uptight, I just suffer afterwards with fatigue & pain, but at home....... my hubby does all those (in my opinion) stupid shows like Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, and Cody my chatterbox ADHD son talks constantly during tv, that just sends me into adrenaline frenzy. I beg & beg and it just never ends, I do cotton, tomorrow we have a few errands and earplugs are on my list to get.
    I hate that too, I know it makes me a bitch to be with sometimes but they do not understand, others do not realize what we go thru. My family does try to be considerate but my tolerance is just so low, once the adrenaline starts it is too late, it goes for the rest of the day until I get my alone time after 9pm when my hubby goes to bed, then I get on computer, turn the news on realy low, have decaf & it is so nice.

Jaci