noise reducing headphones

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ilovepink4, Sep 11, 2010.

1. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

My computer sound gave out on my old Dell laptop and it was a blessing n disguise! I bought a set of headphones that reduce the outside noise but dont' completely block it. They are my best friend! I sit in my bed with them on, plugged in the computer but am not listening to anything but the reduced noise in my house! WE have two noisy boys, two barking dogs, and I just can't handle the noise.

I also find that the pressure on my head feels good. I don't know why....

I look like a freak sitting here not listening to anything but man, they feel good!

I also got a sleep mask so I could sleep during the day. I also wanted to see if it would help me sleep because I discovered when I can't sleep, if I put my arm over my eyes, the pressure puts me to sleep. My daughter told me that it helped her so I tried it and it works....

also, putting a pillow over my head when I sleep on my side helps do both things...block sound and light and puts some pressure on my head...

i am a freak. yes, but maybe it will help others.
  2. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

where did you get your, what kind are they, and how much did they cost (if you don't mind telling us)?

noise is one the the things that drives me nuts the most
  3. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I just use regular headphones you can buy anywhere. I can't remember what they cost, but not too much. The noise-cancelling headphones are the expensive ones but someone told me they put out a white noise and I don't want that, it would be another noise! And right on the ears! Since it's just ambient noise we're trying to block out, not lawnmowers or jackhammers, just the cheap regular ones will do. If the noise is really bad I wear earplugs as well.

I use earplugs when I sleep. If the noise is bad, like an endlessly barking dog I put the headphones on as well. I keep my room very dark but if I'm going to sleep in I wear a mask.
  4. ChuckNBerkeley

ChuckNBerkeley New Member

"The noise-cancelling headphones are the expensive ones but someone told me they put out a white noise and I don't want that, it would be another noise!"

"The noise-cancelling headphones" have a microphone(s?) that listens to the exterior sound and generate an equal amplitude and 180 degree out-of-phase noise on the interior of the ear cups. The exterior noise and the interior noise cancel each other, more-or-less, thereby lowering the noise detected by the ear.

5. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

What's an out-of-phase noise? The person that told me they generated a noise must have been sensitive to it, I'm wondering if we with CFS would also since we're sensitive to noise.