Non-addictive sleep medication?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by WorldFalls, Jan 6, 2003.

1. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

Hello...

I've been having a really hard time sleeping...again. It's kind of the story of my life. I try to sleep, but it just doesn't happen. I think it's a combination of pain, burning feet, and a bothersome twitchy thing that happens in my legs. It feels like something is crawling on me all the time. When I do fall asleep, I wake to my legs jerking...sometimes so hard I feel like I'm gonna fall off the bed. It's not that bad, really, it's just that when your in the middle of a dream and your leg moves, it feels so strange...sort of like your in the dream or something. And that's another thing...I dream altogether too much. Even when I do manage a full nights sleep, I'm exhausted from all the dreaming.

Anyway, I need sleep...bad. I'm scared to take ambien or benzo's, although my doctor is willing to give them to me. Can anyone recommend anything that is not addictive? I've used doxepin in the past, and it does work, but it makes me groggy the next day. I'm taking online classes and need to be clear-headed to do my school work. I've used melatonin. It helps some, but it's no miracle. Any suggestions? Also, is anyone else bothered by burning feet at night? Really, I know it sounds silly, but it's quite unbearable at times. I actually keep a pan if cold water by my bedside to soak them in several times at night. Are the buring feet a fibro thing?

Thanks a lot!

EJ
  2. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I am wondering what dosage you were on with the doxipan? I know that I have taken it at a small dosage and it didn't bother me when I only took small amounts. Have you tried flexeral or anything of that nature to help you sleep? I used to have a terrible time with dreaming and the leg thing is still a problem but I have to take flexeral before bed. There are many types of meds for sleep other then just sleeping aids. Alot of the older anti depressants help you to sleep. Have you explained to your Doctor that you have troubles sleeping but do not want anything that is addictive?
    Take care.
    Joannie
  3. MildredAnn

MildredAnn New Member

I, too, have problems with sleeping and sometimes my feet swell, which causes pain, not buring. This past week I have taken the advice of many people on this message board and began taking ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and B6). I am sleeping much better and my body is not hurting as much as it had previously. You can research ZMA on the message board search engine. It may be something you wish to consider. Good luck.
  4. Sweetmia

Sweetmia New Member

I have posted numerous times as to the effectiveness of lose dose Remeron. My husband who is a physician also takes Remeron every night for sleep (he does not believe in taking alot of prescription meds). I take 1/4 tab of Remeron right before I go to bed. The tabs are in 30mgs so you just break the tablet. It is unbelieveable--sleep soundly all night. I work full time as a sales rep, so I can't afford to feel groggy in the am--does not make me groggy. By the way, I have CFS--due to overwork, over exercising over everything!!!
  5. bre_ann

bre_ann New Member

plus I only take 1/3 to 1/2 the dosage. However, I DO find that I dream ALOT with the Ambien. I don't know if that's a good thing or not.
    I also thought Tylenol PM worked pretty well.

Brenda
  6. Eilie

Eilie New Member

Have you tried any of the tricyclic antidepressants? I take Trazedone and it works wonders for me. However, I had to work my way through the tricyclics before I finally got to Trazedone. I was either allergic to all the others or they left me drugged in the am.

But they are not addicting.

Also, you might want to check out a couple of the messages Wolfman has posted about addiction. Just enter "addiction" in "search" and they'll turn up. He does an excellent job of explaining the difference between physical and psychological dependence on medications.

Hope all works out for you.

Eilie
  7. Lanie

Lanie New Member

This stuff is amazing. I can sleep! Thru the night most of the time too!! It is not addictive and really is a blessing.
    Give it a shot.
    Lanie
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What you may be worrying about is physical dependence which will probably happen with benzos, but they are not psychologically addictive. There are people who have addictive personalities, but benzos themselves are not addictive.

Klonopin will not only help you sleep, but will likely address the twitching which is interferring with your sleep as well. It also helps with sensory overload and anxiety. If you ever decide to quit a benzo, you will have to wean off of it. Not addressing the state of seizure which produces these symptoms will eventually damage the brain, according to Dr. Cheney.

Love, Mikie
  9. seaview

seaview New Member

I tried several of the sleep meds ands nothing helped. I went almost 2 years(prior to knowing that what was wrong with me was FM) on about an hour of sleep a nite.No lie!I tried the generic benadryl and if I take it at 6 or so I can finally go to sleep by 10 or eleven. I take 150 mgs. I also take klonipin for the leg thing. Give the benadryl a try. Do not use the T*len*l PM or any of those because you only need the activve ingredient in benadyl. The generic has worked just fine for me. I use the L*ngs brand. It comes in 50 mg small pills. I pray that you will find what you need and get that sleep needed. I also know the ZMA works well but I can not take right now because I am using the guai treatment. Blessings,Kathleen
  10. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Heres my formula for sleep;

6pm low dose Xanax (0.25milligrams) for racing brain, it calms my mind down so that my supplements work.(it can be addictive, but I only take it once a day or if I feel a panic attack coming on, I have been taking this dosage now for 15 years off and on).

10pm ZMA (zinc, magnesium, vitamin B-6), this is the greatest for deep restful sleep. No more twitching legs, and that 'creepy crawly' feeling anymore. I now sleep soundly for 7-8 hours a night.

Right before bed; 1 3milligram of Melatonin. This helps me fall asleep within a half hour (I have been taking Melatonin now for 12 years).

The whole thing that causes the deep sleep is the ZMA. I have taken all kinds of meds for sleep, they all work for a time, but then they don't work for me anymore.

I have been taking the ZMA now since Feburary 2002, never in my adult life have I slept like this!

None of this will give you a 'hangover', I have morning Fibro Fog, but it has lessened from three hours to about an hour now.

If you decide to try the ZMA, it is sold here at Pro Health, and if you go to a health food store (NOT GNC, their brand does not work for sleep), be sure you get the ZMA that is trademarked by; SNAC, that is the brand that Pro Health is selling for us now.

Hope you find what works for you, my whole life is so much better because of this supplement.

I believe magnesium stops those nightly restlessness with the legs, and the itchy skin. I also take Pro Energy; Malic Acid and Magnesium. It is great too.

Shalom, Shirl

11. toots2

toots2 New Member

I've been on trazadone for years and sleep like a baby. It is non addictive, safe and doesn't give me a hangover the next day. It can be taken at different dosage so it was easy to find one that helped me. while it doesn't work for everyone, it certainly does for me and many others I have read. Toots
  12. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

I had little success with Sonata so I'm now going to try Ambien. Sonata is for people who dont have trouble going to sleep, which is not the case for me. It lasts approximately 3 hours so if you wake up around 2 am, you can take another one and it will be out of your system before 6 am. Ambien, on the other hand, is stronger. You should take it when you are ready to go to bed, otherwise if you hang around cleaning the kitchen, for example, you might start having hallucinations.

Hope this helps,
    Annette
  13. theimpossibleflute

theimpossibleflute New Member

I have started taking Tylenol PM (or just plain Simply Sleep if you don't need the painkiller). It's just an OTC, but inexpensive and effective. Might not hurt to try it...less expensive than a prescription!!!

Just a thought,
    Abby
  14. fibolady

fibolady New Member

i would think ambien is addictive. i have been on it for years, and find that i cannot go to sleep without it. so for me, the ambien is addicting. i would try other approaches before i would resort to the ambien, just because i don't like having to "take" sleeping pill everynight to fall asleep. part of the illness.

warm regards, fibolady

p.s. plus, if you don't have a good insurance copay, it is extremely expensive.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/08/2003]
  15. AnnetteP

AnnetteP New Member

The fact that you cannot sleep without Ambien is not enough to suggest addiction; if you had no trouble sleeping, in the first place, you wouldn't have started taking Ambien. The problem is NOT that you are addicted to Ambien, but that the reason you cannot sleep has not been addressed. Sleep aids do not cure problems, so of course when you dont' take them, you are back to square one. I can take Benadryl and fall asleep, but as soon as I stop taking it I can't go to sleep. Does this suggest I'm addicted to Benadryl? No. I stopped taking Benadryl over a year ago, and while I still cannot sleep, I never had any withdrawals.

Annette
  16. PrincessofYoga

PrincessofYoga New Member

Personally, 50mg of Elavil has been a life saver!!
  17. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi worlds:
    I take an all natural herbal sleep medicine called "Dr. s Restaid" It contains Valerian, passion flower, and hops. I take 2 tablets one hour before bedtime and it works like a charm. I am asleep without any problems, only get up to the bathroom, but always have done that.
    The only problem is the Valerian in it Stinks!!!! Smells like old gym socks, but if you can get it past your nose, it will work.
    I like it because it is not addictive, is natural, it actually works, and best of all: I wake up without "hangover" or drowsiness. That was a big problem with me with prescription sleep meds! Herbals take longer to work, so give it at least a week to work.
    Good luck,
    sue
  18. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You are so right, Valerin is a wonderful sleep aid, it puts me to sleep, but I wake up with a horrific headache on top of my head. Plus I am allergic to hops.

But my daughter takes a similar combination and it works great for her.

The Valerin does stink! Nothing to do about it but hold your nose!

Shalom, Shirl
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The ZMA sold here is just a formula of zinc, magnesium and Vitamin B-6. I works alone to help with sleep or in combo with other OTC or Rx sleep aids.

Love, Mikie