non-addictive sleep meds? (for anyone in UK)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by averilpam, Jun 23, 2003.

1. averilpam

averilpam New Member

Anyone in the UK found anything to help sleep that's not addictive?
    I'm going to ask my doc if there's anything he can offer, before I go back to work but it would be good if there's something I can suggest that may have helped others with fm/cfs
    thanks, Pam
  2. averilpam

averilpam New Member

3. tansy

tansy New Member

It can be really difficult to get sleep meds for long term use in the UK. The favourite medications for sleep problems here seem to be the tricyclic antidepressants. Some people find these very helpful but I didn't, if the dose was high enough to help with sleep I just could not function mentally.

My GP finally gave me zopiclone (ambien in the US). They're less addictive than traditional sleep meds. She's prepared, for the time being at least, to prescribe these long term. My sleep deprivation by then was making me very ill. For me they're not perfect but after a month's use I stopped suddenly dozing off throughout the day.

After taking ZMA for about 4 weeks I've found the zopiclone works just a little better.
    Hope this helps

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/24/2003]
  4. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I'll keep that in mind when i go back to the doc.
    Do you get ZMA in Britain, or send for it from this site.
    I'm currently using Solgar Magnesium with B6 but I'd like to try the ZMA for sleep.
    Pam
  5. catgal

catgal New Member

Hi Pam~~There is a vitamin you can order from this site called Melatonin or combinations of Melatonin & Valerian Root that helps with sleep. There are several natural, non-addictive sleep aids you can look up and order from this site.

Also, benedryl is useful for sleep. You can buy it OTC here.

Alot of people on the Board use ZMA which can be purchased from this site.

I know with all the various supplements they have on this site, that you can find something that will help you.

I work, and it is essential that I get some quality sleep or I can't function properly--or after a while--end up bedridden.

Best Wishes to you. I know someone here can guide you in the right direction. Blessings, Carol....

6. nickname

nickname New Member

Have u tried any of the herbally things like valerian, passiflora, lettuce etc? There are many different combinations to try, all avail from Boots or any chemist/healthfood store. You must decide if these are right for you based on any other health problems u may have - I think some of these can be dodgy with the liver. Or have u tried melatonin? If your sleep problem is severe,
    then you may need to resort to the low dose tricyclics thru the GP - I take trimipramine 20mg, but this does not initiate sleep for me, so I also take Zolpidem - this has been my magic formula for the last three years, but we are all different. Zopiclone, which Tansy mentioned, is also good for anxiety if this is what is stopping u from sleeping. If u go on the Dr Sarah Myhill site, she gives a list of various things to try, which includes over the counter medicines u can get yourself at the chemist. It is really a case of try and find your own magic formula thru trial and error
    Good luck
    nickname
  7. tansy

tansy New Member

I bought mine from this site but they are readily available in the UK. They can usually be found amongst the sports and body building supps.

I went through all the natural sleep inducing methods first. Initially I needed lots of valerian with the zopiclone for it to work. Unless I feel very hypered I don't need that any more. I do feel the ZMA has upped my magnesium levels, I take magnesium gyconate as well. Was found to have low red blood cell Mg so had injections for a while, they helped. GP at that time however decided that since they did not produce an absolute cure they were a waste.

It really is important for us to get good quality sleep and yet it can seem so elusive.

Cheers

Tansy
  8. averilpam

averilpam New Member

I don't often have any problems getting off to sleep, just wake up every hour or so, which when you are working is pretty deadly!

Benedryl is antihistamine and I take them every day anyway for 'dermagraphism' (constant itching) I worry that ten years of antihistamines hasn't done my immune system any good!!

I've used valerian and other herbs, both during the day to cope with stress and at night to help me sleep, with melatonin.
    I usually find I get off to sleep better and sleep a little better with melatonin, but sometimes it makes no difference at all, and nothing has enabled me to get more than two or three hours in one go.

Thanks for all the input, I'll definitely get some ZMA. I don't want to take antidepressants but if they'd help me sleep properly I'd consider it at least in short term bursts (so as not to get too dependent) just so I can continue to work full time for a bit longer. I'm sure I'll have to go part time eventually but I'd like to put it off as long as I can
    Pam[This Message was Edited on 06/25/2003]
  9. nickname

nickname New Member

.......you can get that mail order from the Nutricentre in London.
    Best wishes
    nickname
  10. nickname

nickname New Member

....just read this thread again. Zolpidem is called Ambien in the US, not Zopiclone. Had to look that up before posting, 'cause u had me confused there for a minute.

Best wishes
    Nickname
  11. tansy

tansy New Member

Actually I gave my GP a list of sleep meds that docs in the US were using. She picked out ambien and she said zopiclone was the UK equivalent so I just went on assuming it was.

She's happy to prescribe this fairly long term having understood that the insomnia was not something that could be dealt with without medication. It's not supposed to be addictive but patients can get rebound insomnia. On the nights I don't use zopiclone dozing pattern is same as before using it, not true rebound insomnia.

I had problems both with going off to sleep and staying asleep. This meds not perfect but it helps enough to make it worthwhile taking.

Cheers

Tansy