Non-Aerobic Exercise is Beneficial

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LittleBluestem, Jan 15, 2010.

1. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I doubt that I am the only person who gets tired of hearing about all of the benefits of aerobic exercise when it is something that I cannot do. Today I heard on National Public Radio’s Talk of the Nation that non-aerobic exercise is also beneficial.

Muscle contractions are important to regulation of blood glucose and fat. People who spend large amounts of time sedentary, whether in front of a television or behind a desk, are at increase risk of death. Any type of movement is beneficial in this respect. This does not negate the benefit of regular exercise, nor does a daily exercise program negate the harmful effects of prolonged periods of sitting.

Everybody stretch now!
  2. QuayMan

QuayMan Member

I sometimes tell my family they don't need to pay to go to the gym, I'll give people activities to do and I won't charge them!

I really hate hearing about how exercise is good/no exercise is bad.
    I used to love exercise.

Unfortunately, I think exercise is what caused me to go from being mildly affected (early years) to severely affected (last 15 years).

If they find a treatment for ME/CFS, I promise I'll exercise.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

I think they are talking about "normal" couch potatoes (if there are such creatures, I'm not sure even about that) ...not ones with chronic illnesses.

Examples of anaerobic exercises are:

1. Weight lifting
    2. Machines that offer resistance
    3. Dumbbells

I used to do all of this... bit by bit shortened my routine... because of the increasing after-effects of unable to get off the couch, etc (you know what I'm talking about). Quite unlike when I exercised, say, 10 years before that, when it really did increase my energy and feeling of well-being.

That said, stretching isn't a bad thing. I am going to get my California version of T'ai Chi DVD out tho and start that again, I did take a class a couple of years ago. I just found out there is a local group that meets in a park in the nearby town....

downside is that it's at 9 AM and I am a late-riser... and it takes me at least 25-30 min to get there. I also don't like being cold, and right now it's still quite chilly at 9 AM usually. But i can re-learn/practice it on my own so when it's warmer I can join them (as there's no instructor anyway).

After that, I still want to start a laughter yoga group, wonder if they'd be interested? Now that's exercise, laughing... I always feel exhausted but so good if I get the chance to get a good belly laugh.

all the best,

4. loto

loto Member

I am able most days to do some stationary walking/skiing on my gazelle, but there are days that all I can do is sit!
    So, I try to remember to contract and stretch muscles as much as possible. This past weekend I HAD to stretch because of painful muscle spasms all over my body. That's the first time since having FM that I've experienced such painful spasms all over. I don't know what brought them on, either. Oh well, I've quit trying to figure out why I experience what I do.

5. jole

jole Member

Am I the only one here who can't even do stretching exercises without setting off muscle spasms? If I hold my arms out to the side and do circles with my hands 5 x in each directions it sets off severe spasms in my upper back/shoulder area. Anything but very gentle neck rotation causes my neck muscles to knot up.

I tried some gentle yoga...lasted 3 minutes through the warmup and hurt so badly I could hardly move. It took three days for the excruciating pain to let up so I could try it again. Same thing happened.

All it seems I can do is a flight of stairs down, rest, and come back up. Which I guess is something. But some days even that will set off cramping in my thighs....other days I can do this a few times and be okay.

I do have to say I was a medical transcriptionist, and feel that sitting in one position for so many hours a day probably helped set this DD off in the first place................Jole
  6. victoria

victoria New Member

that has happened to me too.... which is why I liked "t'ai chi chi!" the arm movements are easier for me and haven't set anything off.

I too tried yoga, no go for me either even tho it was a class for people with limitations.

(I used to sit & type long hours too, tho not thankfully every day... )
  7. QuayMan

QuayMan Member

T'ai Chi looks like the sort of thing I might have liked with mild M.E. Could have also been useful if I was healthy.
    Unfortunately, I can't do the standing.

I'm afraid talk of chakras, etc puts me off yoga. And it seems too much like mild/light hypnosis. Hypnosis is ok to relax but I don't like the idea of hypnosis and people putting all sorts of odd ideas into my head (chakras etc) when I'm hypnotised.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/26/2010]