NON NARCOTIC PAIN MEDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nyer566, Mar 20, 2010.

1. nyer566

nyer566 New Member

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY NON NARCOTIC PAIN MED THAT WORKS, ONE THAT ISNT LYRICA OR AN ANTIDEPRESSANT TYPE. ITS FOR FIBROMYALGIA, DEGENERATIVE DISC DISORDER AND ARTHRITIS. AS AN ALTERNATIVE TO NARCOTICS? AND I DON'T MEAN MOTRIN OR ALEVE.
    I HAVE TRIED ULTRAM AND IT MAKES ME ITCH ALL OVER, AS I AM ALLERGIC TO A LOT OF CODEINE MEDS OR CODEINE LIKE MEDS.[This Message was Edited on 03/23/2010]
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

i have degenerative disc and arthritic lumbar facet joints, I use tramal, i dont know if this is what u are after as its classed as a narcotic but works in a different way to most, i find it more energizing then sedating like most narcotics and i find it doesnt have that drugged type feeling. I use slow release form which lasts 12 hours, theres also muscle relaxants like orphenadrine which would be good to use at night. I do have issues if i use anti-inflammatories for too long but i use toradol occassionally just one dose and most times is enough to knock the inflammation over for awhile, toradol is a very strong anti-inflam with sides if taken for too long. Dont know if theres much else to use if u dont want narcotic, anti-inflams or anticonvulsants like lyrica. I will be keeping an eye on your thread as would be interested in other pain relief alternatives.

cheers
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

There is the non-narcotic pain med Ultram or Ultracet (generic is Tramadol) for fibromyalgia. Have you tried it?

As far as degenerative disc disease, which is the same thing as arthritis (it's arthritis of your spine), there are different DMARDS like Celebrex. Have you tried any of them. They are basically an anti-inflammatory drug. There are many in that family of meds.
  4. HeavenlyRN

HeavenlyRN New Member

I was prescribed Ultram by an emergency room doctor but I haven't tried it yet - not sure why, I guess it's just that my Percocet has been doing a pretty good job.

Has anyone used Ultram and if so, how well did it work? Any unpleasant side effects?

Thanks - Jan

Edited....how did I miss the above posts? I thought I was the first person to reply. Duh. But I WOULD like to hear from some more folks who have used Ultram.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2010]
  5. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Tramadol would be a good option to try. I've taken it (didn't do much for me) but it seems to help with many people with Fibro. Mom has been prescribed it for pain. It's not as strong as narcotics.

As a matter of fact, our little Llasa Apso has a script for it. It's often used for dogs. She's only 18 lbs. - supposed to take 25 mgs. Adult doses are 50 mgs.!!
  6. JEANSKI

JEANSKI New Member

I took Tramadol because so many people had good help from it and said it wasn't like a narcotic. But I got some really bad effects from coming off it. I missed one dose and it felt like I was detoxing from a strong narcotic. I had hot and cold sweats, shaking, naseau, vertigo, dizziness. Just from missing one dose! It was a low dose also.

I don't say this to put you off it but it is something to discuss with you dr. and think about if you want to deal with a potential detox. I decided I would rather put up with the pain than all that other stuff. I am no good at dealing with those other things but have become expert at coping with the pain. I also couldn't risk missing work every time I made an oops and forgot to take a pill. So it was a good decision for me.
  7. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Tramadol is a med that works in the brain in a manner somewhat similar to many narcotics, however it is more selective in terms of which opiate receptors it affects. Tramadol is not technically called a narcotic, however it works a fair bit like narcotics do, and has potential for dependency & abuse, as do narcotic meds.

In other words, it quacks like a duck & almost looks like a duck. But there is a time & a place for ducks, in some of our lives.

One alternative you might research is LDN -- low dose naltrexone. This med is currently in research phase for fibro, while being used "off-label" by some of us with pretty good results.

LDN is an opiate ANTAGONIST -- chemically the opposite of a narcotic or a med like Tramadol. At a low dose, LDN blocks your endorphin receptors just enough to cause your body to make more endorphins. Endorphins help reduce pain sensation, increase feelings of well-being & improve energy.

The downside of LDN is that it doesn't work along with narcotics or related meds, nor with DMARDs (certain types of arthritis meds). A wash-out period is needed if one is already on these meds, before starting LDN.

LDN can take up to six months to reach full effectiveness. For some people, there are side effects such as sleep disturbances or nausea at the beginning of treatment. These side effects often go away in time, and can be reduced by starting at a very low dose & gradually increasing.

My experience with LDN has been great. But I was already on the road to pain reduction primarily as a result of hormone balancing, prior to LDN. I find I need both components to avoid fibro symptoms.

Best wishes to you.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2010]
  8. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

Have been on ultram ever since it has come out. It is the best I have ever found. I was even on Dilaudid, Vics, etc. they did not work at all. Ultram however I think works better because it is also raises or keeps your seratonin circulating. That is why you have to be careful if you take an SSRI with it. I am on Savella now for a month and was able to cut my ultram from 2 50mg 3x a day to 3-4 pills a day, that's almost in half. I am only taking one pill of Savella 50mg(I think) was sweating terrible at first and jittery but that has gone away except for about 1/2 hour in the am. My doc wants on my two a day but I started that and was not sleeping. Plus it is so expensive it is on tier 3 for my on my insurance and a month's is 60 bucks. I may try upping it to 2 if I can sleep ok and if I can get down to 1-2 ultram a day. The only downside of ultram is the liver. Not sure about Savella on the liver but I could not take Cymbalta becuase of my liver enzymes are slightly high. My Dr. said not to worry if my liver enzmes are only 5-10% higher if they were 300% then worry. But I am only 46 and don't want liver failure in 10 years or so. So anyways I highly recommend ultram, it made me more active, less tired during the day, some people it makes sleepy, in fact if I am in pain at night and take 1 I won't sleep, so it is tough, and I have Soma just in case but that can be very addictive very fast and won't work, so just emergencies, ambien does nothing for sleep for me. Anyways good luck.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

HeavenlyRN, my mother was prescribed Ultram in the ER when she was there for severe back pain. At this time, she was in her mid 70s, never had back trouble, but one day was doubled over and couldn't move. It really helped her. They told her xrays showed severe arthritis in her disks, etc.

My sister-in-law also takes Ultram and swears by it. She says she can be in terrible pain, take one, and feel lots of relief.

I don't know why, but I have always been under the impression that Ultram was like a baby pain bill compared to Percocet. So I don't know if it would be better for you or not. That's why the ER always prescribes it-- it's non-narcotic and not real powerful, but still helpful to pain, if that makes any sense!
  10. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I think when it does work for someone it works really well, if it doesnt then u get side effcts etc. For me i take 100mg sr supposedly releases over 12hrs and it works well for my back pain and general cfs aches and pains and i think gives me a little enrgy boost and mood brightener, better then any antidepressant. I have read a study awhile ago that showed when people with depression are non responders to antidepressant, tramadol has pulled them out of a hole. I think it has a few good effects and im able to work will taking it and not feel drugged out. I use it intermittently to avoid any potential side effects or withdrawal problems.

But everyone is different when it comes to medication.