NON PROGRISSIVE MY BUTT

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by allhart, Nov 23, 2002.

1. allhart

allhart New Member

everywhere we read it says fm is non progrssive
    the meaning of progressive from a medical dictoery is advancing;as a diease from bad to worse,
    well have any of you improved so grate at any point that you are or wear back to your pre fm state ?
    we go threw flares i know but i personally over the years have gotten worse or progressed ,my pain is not just in flares my memoery is worse and worse and even on good days is not anything close to long ago,and how many of us dont have a list of other conditions ?
    is there anyone here who has fm and not anything eles after a year or more?
    i know that other medical condtions come with age but not at the rate they seem to affect us !
    at this point i realy think drs say its non progressive to give us hope
    what do you all think
    i know this is mostley a vent but i truley want to no if noone here has not progressed
    thanks for your paitents and understanding
    kara
  2. allhart

allhart New Member

everywhere we read it says fm is non progrssive
    the meaning of progressive from a medical dictoery is advancing;as a diease from bad to worse,
    well have any of you improved so grate at any point that you are or wear back to your pre fm state ?
    we go threw flares i know but i personally over the years have gotten worse or progressed ,my pain is not just in flares my memoery is worse and worse and even on good days is not anything close to long ago,and how many of us dont have a list of other conditions ?
    is there anyone here who has fm and not anything eles after a year or more?
    i know that other medical condtions come with age but not at the rate they seem to affect us !
    at this point i realy think drs say its non progressive to give us hope
    what do you all think
    i know this is mostley a vent but i truley want to no if noone here has not progressed
    thanks for your paitents and understanding
    kara
  3. twjen

twjen New Member

My first full flare that I know of started spring of 2001 worsend by fall and lasted through spring 2002. This next one started a few months ago and has progressed more rapidly than last one. So I have had the same question as you do. Im having even worse cognitive, memory trouble this time as I was by the end of last round. During the summer I thought I was cured from some terrible bout of arthritis, but when it all came back my Dr. mentioned fibromyalgia but said wasnt ready to say 4 sure. I know for sure, if its not something els. Anyway, just wanted to share. Hope you have a better day tomorrow, and Ill pass on what every one says to me, take care of yourself, relax, and try not to worry about it so much.
  4. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I find as time goes by, I tend to get worse. My flares seem to take longer to get over or they never really fully leave me for weeks on end. I can honestly say I am worse now than I was this time last year. As far as other symptoms besides the pain, my memory, concentration, mood etc seems to also be worse.
  5. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

it has most definately progressed. New things pop up one by one - I agree that is progressive, just happens slowly. I am not saying this without hope for getting better - I think it is possible to improve - there are so many here that are feeling better than then they were.
  6. glendamarie22

glendamarie22 New Member

I was just telling my mom the other day that this stuff HAS to be progressive. In the past two years I have gotten so bad that the times when I'm able to go out are the exception, not the rule. I used to be able to pretty much do what I wanted, with only an occasional flare. Nowadays, just getting out of the house is a major triumph and I'm only 23. Definitely a progressive disease, in my case anyway.

~Glenda
  7. Roxi

Roxi New Member

It's absolutely progressive in my case. I haven't had a painfree day since the beginning. And my bad days are agony! I don't leave the house unless I have to. I could last year. Can't open jars though I could last year. Losing my memory. The doctors don't know what the heck is wrong with us! They just repeat what they read in some old medical book! They don't think it matters because we're all nuts anyway! We're not depressed...we're in pain!
  8. klutzo

klutzo New Member

though I am not better, in the ten yrs. I ran my support group, I saw several people get much better, or even completely better. In every case, these were people who had mild FMS to begin with, and who did not have any of the neurological problems. Many of these were the few men in the group. In Dr. Goldstein's book, he says he believes these are the people who have FMS alone, while those who get worse have both FMS and CFS.
    Klutzo
  9. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

It does seem progressive. It scares me how strong and out of control this illness has been in me the last three years. I guess the day will come when doctors have to finally admit it is.

I think it scares the goverment the mass number of people that have Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia. If all people
    that have it got the disability they are entitled to it
    would be a hugh, hugh amount of money they don`t want to
    have to pay out. I think that`s why they don`t want to deal with it.

But I really feel the doctors and powers that be aren`t going to be able to ignore this very much longer. Its get-ing to be too big a problem. Its like trying to ignore an elephant in the room.
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Our illnesses do seem to be progressive in many of us, but I have also read about people who are as much as 80 percent back to their pre-illness health.

I am certainly much better than I was 1-2 years ago, but I would certainly relapse were it not for my treatments.

For some, I have read that the illnesses changes without getting better or worse.

We are all different. I suspect that CFIDS and FMS are like cancer. There are different strains of it and it affects people differently.

Love, Mikie
  11. allhart

allhart New Member

well thank you for the response i guess me myself am just fed up with the drs ! i do belive we all have differnt types of these dd mine is just a bad one,even if the drs told me 3 years ago i would get this bad i probley would not have belived them
    but i do belive for most of us this dose progress espeacilly when you have stupid drs that dont help
    the judge at my ss hearing monday actually said did you know extercise helps fibro? i told him yes it dose but i went years with out being dx and now its so bad that when i do exercise it cause more mucsle knots that push on the tendons and nevers and cause more pain i told him if the drs knew this is what i had 9 years ago extercise probley would have been a grate benifit!
    maybe its up to our tearment if we progrsse or not just like anything eles if you dont get proper treatment you get worse!
    i think drs should say if we dont take care of this it may progress insted of saying it dosent and letting everyone think we dont get worse or its not as bad as other condtions
  12. lucky

lucky New Member

and so does my doctor. That in many cases the DD is getting worse over time. I am also one of those people whose symptoms are mostly under control by meds and/or alternatives, but have by all means not gotten better. The many problems have become so chronic and new ones are creeping up. However, I believe for some this is the reality, but one good point is that over many years one learns to cope and deal with the many challenges we all have to face every day. And a good laugh sometimes still can move mountains. Lucky
  13. CAgirl

CAgirl New Member

I agree with you. This disease is progressive. I have had FM all my life, but it wasn't that bad. Infact, I didn't know I had it. It started getting bad about ten years ago and the last eight years I have been in daily pain. I agree with you about the doctors. I probably went through 15 doctors before I was diagnosed. I kept thinking there is something wrong with my muscles. They don't act right. They shouldn't be tight all the time. Two years after those thought ran through my head I was diagnosed with FM and myofascial pain syndrome. Before that I was told I was stressed and that I needed counseling to teach me how to handle life.
    Laura
  14. kadywill

kadywill New Member

age, worn out joints, over-worked muscles, stress (emotionally and physically), overweight, hypertension, renal and liver disease and a life of guilt and remorse over poor choices in the past.....all these have contributed to my present physical state. I am the happiest I have ever been and I am under the least amount of stress of my life, but all the above have just taken a toll on this tired old body of mine. I am 47 and often feel MUCH, MUCH older; BUT, when I feel good, I feel great and I am so thankful for those moments. I appreciate the good times so much since I have known the really bad times. I need a complete overhaul!!!
    Love,
    Kady
  15. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Even with other things, they just don't seem to connect the dots.

I took the Syndrome X book with me to my doc appt. last week. He said, "I've know about Syndrome X for 10-12 years." HELLO! I've been complaining to him about my weight gain, mostly around the middle, my high blood pressure, and my elevated cholesterol. Geez! He could have mentioned it since he seemed so proud of himself that he knew about it. Didn't it occur to him that I had it? What good is knowledge if not applied? I think he's just so overworked and busy that he isn't functioning at full speed.

He seemed surprised that my blood pressure had fallen so much. I told him I monitor it daily along with my weight. He told me he hadn't taken his BP in two years. I guess he thinks I'm a nut, but I keep thinking mine will go back up and I just want to ensure it's stable. I just hope that the next person who displays my symptoms will register with him as possible insulin resistance. I hope some of his other patients are benefiting from the education he is getting compliments of my own research!

Love, Mikie
  16. kuntryhart

kuntryhart New Member

I have said many times that the biggest lie that the Dr. told me when I was diagnosed with Fibro was that it wasn't a progressive disease. I quote, "you won't get any worse than you are right now". What a joke!! I was a Realtor, but had to quit. I got so I couldn't make my legs raise to get into the car after a busy day showing property. So, I went to work as a secretary in my Real Estate Office. Then we had a major family crisis. I stopped working for about a year and a half. Then went to work again at the same job, only this time part time. Over the past several months, it's become harder and harder to keep going. I keep telling myself if I get treatment and hang in till warm weather, I'll be better again. But, sometime I really have my doubts. I am very definitely worse with the passing of time.
    kuntryhart
  17. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I'm one of the ones that has had this DD since I was a kid... and I have noticed alot of changes with this last flare I've been in now for about 2 yrs. I've still got the same ole problems but more of em now... and now memory is a problem as well. That NEVER was a problem before... I also tore my right gastroc muscle after a SIMPLE* jump in my backyard in july 2000.... so I say hands down PROGRESSIVE! Good luck!
  18. Fibrobeachbum

Fibrobeachbum New Member

The older I get the worst I feel and get weaker. I am only 44 and feel like an 80 year old person. No energy and pain all the time between major flairs. I understand.
    Ann