non toxic moth balls, how to make them yourself!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BethM, Oct 19, 2005.

1. BethM

BethM New Member

Printed from www.care2.com
    Healthy Alternatives to Moth Balls - How-To
    Inspired by and adapted from Home Enlightenment: Practical, Earth-friendly Advice for Creating a Nurturing, Healthy, and Toxin-Free Home and Lifestyle, by Annie B. Bond (Rodale, 2005).

Simple Solution
    It was sobering to see that naphthalene, the main ingredient in conventional moth balls was recently listed as a registered carcinogen by the U.S. government. How many homes have that memorable smell impregnating their sweater chests and closets? Natural moth repellents are the only safe choice, and their fragrances are effective. If you have mothballs in your house, put them in the trash, and air anything that holds their smell in the sun as often as possible.

Here is how to make an easy and effective moth repellent sachet:

This recipe will fill about a dozen sachets. You can buy herbs in bulk at almost any health food store:

2 ounces each dried rosemary and mint
    1 ounce each dried thyme and American ginseng
    8 ounces whole cloves

Mix herbs and place some in the center of a bandanna or handkerchief (or in a muslin tea-bag, available at health food stores). Tie with a ribbon.

Shop for Supplies
    Home Enlightenment
    http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=caremailgreeting&o=1&
    p=8&l=as1&asins=1579548113&fc1=000000&=1&lc1=0000f
    f&bc1=000000&lt1=_blank&IS2=1&f=ifr&bg1=ffffff&f=i
    fr

Disclaimer: Care2.com does not warrant and shall have no liability for information provided in this newsletter or on Care2.com. Each individual person, fabric, or material may react differently to a particular suggested use. It is recommended that before you begin to use any formula, you read the directions carefully and test it first. Should you have any health care-related questions or concerns, please call or see your physician or other health care provider.
  2. fahan

fahan New Member

first time I've heard of this, WONDERFUL! I'll be sure and try this one out. I don't have all the herbs on hand

but only lack the ginsing, not too hard to find, easy ingredients.

I hate the smell of moth balls and also remember the smell well!

Thanks again so much also for the site, I'll have to go there and see what all I can find, maybe a good one for

cat litter box and one for when hubby eats a can of sardines that lingers as NOW! Hate it! Good for him tho right?

Anyway thanks again for the post fahan
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2005]
  3. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

I've heard that dried lavendar sachets work too! I've also heard that moth balls repel snakes! So if you are planning on throwing out the CANCER balls, but them around where you may have found snakes in the past and poof ! They won't come around that area anymore.