Norepinephrine Levels High Causing Anxiety

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, Aug 26, 2009.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Trying to research as to why I am so anxious, fearful, agoraphobia etc. I was looking at my labs from a few years ago and my Norepinephrine Levels were High, both Plasma and Urine. I did have to have a CT Scan of my Adrenal Glands to rule out a tumor but the CT was negative.

I do remember the doc saying the high levels would effect your heart and told me to get my anxiety under control and wrote me an Rx for xanax.

It will take a month or so to get back in with this doc if I do but was wondering if any of you ever had high levels ..

From what I have read the high levels cause the anxiety so looks like I need to treat the high levels but how and what kind of doc do I see..

Guess I will try it get in with a doc sure wish my doc hadn't left town. Oh, I stay so confused with all this..

2. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I just did a little research. GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter which will inhibit the action of norepinephrine.

"Treatment for high levels of norepinephrine, as found in anxiety and panic disorders, involves decreasing neurotransmitter levels directly or using medications which increase another neurotransmitter that inhibits or decreases the action of norepinephrine. One of those inhibiting neurotransmitters is GABA, also known as Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid."

Have you tried l-theanine yet? lt helps your brain produce GABA and is very calming. It really does work. l-theanine crosses the blood-brain barrier much more effectively than straight GABA. You can get it any health food store or on-line.