NORITRIPTYLINE. also know as pamelor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by momof3dancers, Dec 12, 2002.

1. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

Just got off of the phone w/ my docs nurse...I had called to question my dosage of Amitriptylin...as I was feeling "hung-over" since I started taking it 2 weeks ago.. and as the mom of 3 dancers (ages 10..8 and 5) I CAN NOT function that way every AM...So they have changed my prescription to NORITRIPTYLINE..I was wondering if anyone else had tried this.. and what effects good or bad if any it had on them?
    {{{{HUGS}}}} TO ALL
    Shannon
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2002]
  2. momof3dancers

momof3dancers New Member

Just got off of the phone w/ my docs nurse...I had called to question my dosage of Amitriptylin...as I was feeling "hung-over" since I started taking it 2 weeks ago.. and as the mom of 3 dancers (ages 10..8 and 5) I CAN NOT function that way every AM...So they have changed my prescription to NORITRIPTYLINE..I was wondering if anyone else had tried this.. and what effects good or bad if any it had on them?
    {{{{HUGS}}}} TO ALL
    Shannon
    [This Message was Edited on 12/12/2002]
  3. Kalli

Kalli New Member

Hi Shannon, I can relate to just about everything on this board and that is why I answer so many msgs. I hope no one thinks I am "crazy."

I took Pamelor for 1 year and all it did was make me gain about 25 pounds. Then years later I tried it again and it make the pain of the FMS so much worse that I had to stop it. I think some antidepressants will increase muscle pain.
    It didn't make me feel hung over like amitrip...you know...the one you were taking. Can't spell any more!

Anyway, that is my experience with Pamelor.

Best wishes to you!
    Kalli
  4. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I think the secret is low low dosages. I tried Nortryptiline (Sp?) well you know, Pamelor last year for a weekend. I was such a zombie, I couldn't function. I think it was 25 mg. 2 or 3 times a day if I remember correctly. But way too much.

So when I tried Elavil (amitryp), I was pretty good on 10mg. knowing I probably could only tolerate a low dose. It did take my body a good month to get used to it, by then I wasn't groggy in the mornings and it did wonders for my sleep. See if you can lower your dosage instead for a while or start really really low on the nortryp.

~LISA
  5. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I have taken both Elavil and Pamelor

The Elavil helped me to sleep, but left me tired all day, and I gained about 20 lbs

The Pamelor kept me up all night and made my heart race like crazy!

I am taking neither now

Good Luck, everyone reacts differently

6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Here's what "Worst Pills Best Pills" has to say about Pamelor:

"Desipramine and nortriptyline are used to treat severe depression that is not aused by other drugs, by alcohol, or by emotional losses (such as a death in the family). These two drugs produce fewer sedative effects and fewer harmful anticholinergic adverse effects than some other antidepresants...You should NOT be taking these drugs for mild depression or anxiety, or as a sleeping pill."

Love, Mikie
  7. opala

opala New Member

I tried Pamelor, and like you, found it didn't really help my symptoms....only turned me into a zombie...had a really really hard time functioning at work while I was on it.

In addition to the "normal" fog I was in, I felt like I had a constant hang-over.

HATED IT!!!!
  8. ephemera

ephemera New Member

Hi. I've been on nortriptyline since June for not sleeping. I take 3 25mgs at bedtime. It hasn't made me get to sleep any earlier, but I do sleep deeper after the 2-4 hour struggle to fall asleep.

It may also have negatively impacted my bowel movents.

I'll hear another opinion from my rheumie.

Best thoughts.