Normal Cortisol/DHEA levels?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Royler, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Royler

Royler New Member

Hi, all,

Recently took it upon myself to submit saliva tests for DHEA and cortisol. My DHEA was at the low end of normal - around 195 pg/dl.

I'm having real trouble defining my cortisol levels, however. The tests revealed that at 8 AM, levels were .66 mcg/dl. At midnight, they were .11 mcg/dl.

The lab said it was within the range of "normal," but those seem very low to me. Can anyone comment? I've been under chronic stress for close to a decade now, coupled with sleep dysfunction following a viral infection. I can't tell if my cortisol levels are low or too high. I don't want to supplement with anything if it's the latter. Any input?
  2. Royler

Royler New Member

3. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

I wish i could help , but my adrenal saliva test seems to be in a different format. ex- my morn cort is 4nM with normal range being 13 - 24nM. nice huh?

what lab did your test? what were the normal ranges for 8am, and midnight? did youalso have a noon, and 5pm sample?

4. Royler

Royler New Member performed the tests. They informed me my results were in the "normal" range, but my understanding is that different physicans have different ideas of what constitutes "normal."

Google isn't a big help in this issue. I've seen references that everything from .50 mcg/dl to 20 mcg/dl is normal. How can there possibly be such a range?
  5. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Did the lab give you a printout of your tests or did they just tell you the results? If you had a printout, you could spend more time to research the results you have from home. I always get printouts of all lab test results so that I can know for myself, and have time to look things up if I want. I don't always trust the "everything's normal" answer. SOMETHING is not normal somewhere.

I can tell you that your cortisol should be higher in the am than in the pm but that's all, so that looks right. Very frustrating. Marie
  6. Royler

Royler New Member

...according to an article accessed here on the site:

* 8 a.m.: 5-23 mcg/dL (138-635 nmol/L)
    * 4 p.m.: 3-16 mcg/dL (83-441 nmol/L)
    * 8 p.m.: less than 50% of 8 a.m. levels

That would put me at 1/10 the *low* end of the spectrum. That seems like it should concern me a great deal.

I keep trying to make an appointment with an endo, but no one will see me without blood work-ups, which are said to be less effective than the saliva tests.

As usual, I'm running in place. Very frustrating.
  7. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I'm still awaiting the results. My doc is out of town. When I hear more, I'll post.

8. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

My doc's office just called. The said test results were normal.

DHEA 109 range 15-170

AM cortisol 19.3 range 14.0-22.0

Does this mean my adrenals are okay?

9. JolieLuLu

JolieLuLu New Member

your DHEA is low but your cortisol is great!

My am cortisol is only 7!

I think if you took dhea an improvement would be noticed within a few days. Let me look up the parameters the FFC gave me.

Love and light,
  10. Royler

Royler New Member

If your AM cortisol is "only" 7, and mine is .66, should I not be concerned a great deal?

11. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I sure hope someone answers this for you. I hear your frustration. Lisapetrison might be a good one on here to ask that question of.

You would be better off to go to a naturopath or another Dr. who will do the saliva test for you. I did my saliva test last week, and am awaiting the results within the next 10 days. Look online for They do the saliva test. Marie
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007</i>]
  12. Royler

Royler New Member

I've taken the saliva test, which is how I know my cortisol is only .66 in the AM.

Now I need a doctor to try and interpret what that means for me. Unfortunately, no endos in my area want to see me without me getting blood work from my primary doctor first.

Seems pointless to me.
  13. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

Do you have a printout of your results, or just a verbal "everything's normal". By the way, how do you feel? Tired and wired? That's what I am. VERY tired and get so wired so easlily, it's like a vicious cycle. My actual stress level is quite low, but my body (probably adrenals) is shot. Marie
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 02/07/2007</i>]
  14. JolieLuLu

JolieLuLu New Member

Ill get back to you later today. your lab results are on a different scale than mine.

15. Royler

Royler New Member

Yes, I have my results. .66 in the AM and .11 in the PM, as previously mentioned. I have no more details than that.
  16. Royler

Royler New Member

For anyone with more info.
  17. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

you need to find out (from the lab that did test) exactly what THEIR normal range of cortisol - am amd pm. then you can see where your am cortisol falls in that normal range. if you are right in middle of normal- great! if you are at high or low end of normal, then maybe your cortisol is not at the best, optimal level it could be.

another idea- talk to lab and see if they can either -----A. interpret your results in detail or ---B. recommend a dr who frequently uses THAT test who could interpret your results (via email or phone or fax) and give you his recommendations on treatment, if it is necessary. (of course you would have to pay for this)

i hope you can get it figured out!
  18. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Did you find out what the FFC recommends for DHEA-S?

Thanks for your input.

19. Royler

Royler New Member

The test results said I fall within the "normal range" of their lab. I have no idea what this means. How can .66 cortisol, which is 1/10 the accepted range by other standards, be "normal"?

What does it matter what their range is? Isn't .66 of cortisol .66 of cortisol no matter who analyzes it?
  20. Royler

Royler New Member

The conversion from dcg/ml to nmol/dl is x26.7, which would mean my levels in that measurement are...

17.6 nmol/dl (AM)

3 nmol/dl (PM)