Normal EMG but why the pain and the burning?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by Butterfly_of_grace, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

I had an EMG done on both legs last week (OUCH it wasnt fun). Anyway, I got my results and it was normal. I do have hernated disc which affects the right leg per spine othropedist but I also have a bigger problem in left leg which they think is Periformis Syndrome. I get weakness, the sensation that hot water is pouring down the front of my shin sometimes the back of my thigh, severe burning (like I have a severe burn on the inside of my leg)my left foot is almost always knumb and tingly and horrible horrible pain that goes down the leg into my foot and also in lower back which I thought was also from the herniated Disc but according to the Doc the herniation is putting pressure on the S-1 Root nerve going down the right leg so it shouldnt be affecting the left leg. Anyay, i went thru this horrible EMG only to find that everything is ok per that test. BUT WHY THE HECK ALL THESE SYMPTOMS? Its so frustrating not having an answer and dealing with all this pain. The Neuro said even though at the time of the test my sciatic nerve was ok it doesnt mean that its not getting inflammed and causing these symptoms. At the time of the test I wasnt in pain (thank God because the test caused enough of that thats for sure).
    Anyone out there experiencing this? or have ANY idea what is going on per experience? Thanks! Much appreciated!
  2. kirbycat

kirbycat New Member

EMG's are midevel forms of punishment.

I don't care what they say. I could not feel my feet for the first 5 months of this diagnosis, but emg said it was slight damage in my feet. I used to fall on my face, simply because I couldn't feel my feet. I did have a b12 defiency but my numbers are up now.

My feet got better with neurontin. I believe that is the only reason I can walk now. The nerve pain is much better than before. I still have pain, but it is not that awful nerve electrical shocks that I was having.

my knees are so scarred up from falling, much moreso than when I was a kid. I had stitches in my head twice.

One brainac doctor told me that I should be able to feel my feet. But, you know, I love swan diving onto concrete. It's really a fun thing.

Jerk

Cathy
  3. michellokitty

michellokitty New Member

I have a left leg and arm/had that is constantly numb and the burning pain or severe heaviness also....had emgs also..and NOTHING!!! It made me want to cuss! My reumatologist says its just the FIBRO..injections to my scapula and trocanteric bursa help me. Most of the time I feel like bees are stinging me and knives are stabbing me!
    You are not alone!!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 09/07/2006]
  4. Butterfly_of_grace

Butterfly_of_grace New Member

grat response. Ok so Im not actally going nutz then?
    Today the burning is so bad as I was walking thru the mall in a scurry to find beige pants for my new job (part of the Uniform) I have had ALL DAY bruning on and off very strong at times in my inner thigh...OMG Id have to stop and rub it but rubbing was actually making it far worse.

Who is the right Doc to diagnose me if the Neuro cant and the Spine Ortho cant?
    Im so tired of all this.
    Also what is myofacial pain????

thanks!
    -Diane
  5. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

i WAS PARILIZED WITH RIGHT LEG PAIN FOR 6 MONTHS i TOLD THEM TO JUST CUT IT OFF THEY WOULDN'T OF COURSE BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS A GOOD IDEA PAIN SO BAD AND TINGLING. EMG WAS NORMAL HERE TO I GOT ACCUPUNCTURE AND PUT ON NOURONTIN AND I COULD WALK WITH CRUCHES UNTIL I BUILT UP MUSCLE AGAIN NO MORE EMG HERE I KICKED THE DR. IT HURT SO BAD.
  6. s--raquel

s--raquel New Member

Butterfly, I've had problems with my left leg for the longest. I started having pain in the hip joint, then it
    ran down to my knee and finally my ankle. Along with the
    pain I had tingles that came and went.It hurt the worst
    when I would be sitting.

My test showed my last disk was "only slightly" inflamed.
    He said this was nerve damage and sent me to physical
    therapy.

After a few weeks of physical therapy, my theigh started
    to really hurt. Then a few days later my sciatic was on
    fire!! Finally, I started having pain on the sole of my
    foot so bad I could hardly walk. My doc said that none of
    this was related to one another...?!?!...gave me steriod
    shots and pain meds...sent me on my way.

I've switched Doctors (trying to find one anyway!).
    My pain seems to come and go now and thankfully not as
    bad. It's like so many wierd pains and symptoms...It gets
    awful, then better, then something else starts hurting!

You're not crazy! Hope you feel better soon!
    s--raquel

P.S. Im new to the board and am learning so much already!

7. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

May I ask, "what is EMG"? Whatever it is, it is obviously very painful.

Butterfly, from what you are describing about your pain, the EMG must not be accurate, think so?

Anyway, I'm sorry for your pain,

BlueSky555
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

This sounds exactly what I take neurontin (gabapentin) for.

I once told my dr that the veins in my legs are on fire, feet too. Since I got neurontin, they are much, much better.

I hope you find some answers for this terrible problem, it is sure agony, isn't it?

Dear one, could you please make shorter paragraphs for us all? It's easier to read and actually understand, LOL!

There's always hope!
    findmind
  9. lillyrose33

lillyrose33 New Member

I just had one done also and the doctor said there is no nerve damage...which is good but he said it is in my muscles and he wants me to think about the injections.

I have the burning feeling off and on...my toes on my right foot are numb and there is weakness in my left leg. I also have bad disk but not the problem the doctor said.

I am really confused by all of this because I thought if there was numbness and tingling that it ment there was a nerve being pressed on somewhere. I also have pain run down from my hip to my knee and ankle sometimes.
    The test itself was unconfortable and I let out a ouch a couple of times.
    I don't think that they are creditable ( My own personal opinion)
    My husband had one and he was numb down his leg and his arm and the test came back showing no nerve problems and then he had a MRI and it showed nerves being pressed upon by the disk and he also had a ruptured disk and was addmitted to the hospital the same day and had emergency surgery.

Lillyrose
  10. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

read my bio...i have periformis syndrome...and i notice alot more symptoms when i am at thinner weight...wearing pants w/belts would make my hip go numb...

google periformis syndrome...it will exlplain more than i can type...

hugs

jodie
  11. Bethmiller

Bethmiller Member

I have had 3 Emg's I get the next results on Monday. Your not crazy. I have had 2 spinal surgeries and now post opt I am incontinent. Mr brilliant Doctor told me his surgery was a success and I Should do keegels. Which is So funny since I haven't had sex in 2 years. I should be a B.A.V. Born Again Virgin. Doctors are so full if shit. I was also told I can't feel my fusion and my implant. My back and legs are so tender. At least me cats believe me. Maybe I will name one of them Dr so I will feel validated.