'normal 'for months between flares.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by moaningmum, May 8, 2006.

1. moaningmum

moaningmum New Member

Im wondering if many of you are normal between flares. I have months when i can forget Ive got fibro, but I get the impression that many of you are constantly suffering.

Im really confused, and questioning that Ive not got fibro ,but something else.

Ive just had 7 months without symptoms, making me think Id got better, only to be struck again in the last few weeks.

Dee
  2. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I think the stages for Fibro are different for all of us, as are our stresses which tend to put us down in a flare.

If you have months between flares, enjoy it...we've all had them at some point.

I sometimes think I'm odd in that I had 4 good years in between my 2 major flares, this one lasting almost 2 years, the first lasted 9 months in bed.

Fibro seems to always cycle from remission to flares and the cycles depend on many things.

Years ago all it took for me was a few days in bed to feel better then months feeling just fine.

I've also noticed that after each flare, I have to redefine "normal"...seems I lose a bit of my old self each and every time.

I hope this helps, but maybe the others can explain it better.

Hugs,

Nancy B.
  3. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I think there are varying degrees to both FM and CFIDS. I was first diagnosed with fibro in october of 2003 and CFIDS in June of 2004, but it's been months since the FM has really been an issue for me. Yes, I get pain occasionally, especially my legs and back. And recently I've noticed it's getting worse. But, I went for a while barely even noticing the fibro. The CFIDS has been another story, but even that had "calmed down" for a couple of months. In the last month, however, I've been in the worst relapse of my life with the CFIDS. Maybe that's why the fibro is also acting up. Who knows.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i would hurry around as normal then spend time in bed chucking up. when i over do it my body rsponds by being sick and shaking from head to foot and then i would get better and throw myself into my life again until the next time.

now i take it easy and look after myself and i am running long ok, yes i am in pain but stuff still gets done and i know to stop before i am sick.

recently i have felt great. i still walk slow i still hurt and i still cant sleep properly but i feel my own version of great :)

pain is personal, we all have the same thing but we all feel it differently and in different areas.
  5. moaningmum

moaningmum New Member

because Im so well between flares, i keep thinking that it wont come back, and when it does, I go throught the whole acceptance process over again.

I also worry about what others think, which i know is foolish, but I cant help it. If Im confused by being normal for months, then fragile, what must they think?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/08/2006]
  6. Staceymarie

Staceymarie New Member

I've had 2 major flares....years between each. And right now I am not in a flare (meaning severe brain fog, pain all over, overwhelming tiredness, all the other weird stuff) but, I still have neck and shoulder pain...and am more tired than the normal person.

I'm about like the last post...each time I've been in a flare and then it went away, I redefined normal because it takes something away from you. I don't think I'll ever be the person I once was before my first flare, but at the same time, I'm not in constant pain like others here, so it is different for each of us.

I'm really curious as to why we are all affected so differently as well.
  7. moaningmum

moaningmum New Member

It sounds like lots of you start of like me and gradually find the remissions get less and less. Or are there any of you that have carried on like me for years?
    [This Message was Edited on 05/08/2006]
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

moaningmum:
    I am in a perpetual flare: some days just better than others.

nyrofan
  9. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

I've been sick for so long I don't know what "normal" is any more. I guess for me "normal" is fatigued and in pain 24/7. Sad.

Would love to hear from others what "normal" is, in your opinion.

God Bless.
  10. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I wouldn't necessarily expect them to get shorter....every case is different.

My second flare (this one) was almost a guarantee. I could see it coming for miles and miles around.

So many stresses in the house, my daughter had become a cutter for one thing, a heat wave in Europe and we have no air conditioning, not sleeping because it was so hot, etc...

I had overdone it when my parents visited for 3 weeks, too much running around, too much travel, driving and helping them with everything while they were here.

Some things you can have control over and work them through. Some things you just can't.

I knew a flare was coming because so many things were going on that I couldn't control.

We learn to take it easy with this DD. We learn to avoid stress (eventually). We learn to eat better, get more rest and take care of our bodies.

Try to control the stresses you can and learn to try to let go of the others.

Nancy B.
  11. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I too have to redefine normal between flares. I could recover from a flare much faster when I was younger and they didn't last as long. Since a major flare 2 years ago now, I have not yet recovered and wonder if I am now in a perpetual flare. I also agree with Nancy B's comment that each flare takes a little more of the person I used to be. Lynda
  12. sharon5650

sharon5650 New Member

I might not go as long as you do, but I do have long remissions. One time I had a 3 or 4 month remission, where for sure I almost forgot I had this DD. I was all over the place just like I used to be. I worked everyday, shopped, cooked, did everything. Actually I never even came here, not to nice, but I forgot to. I was just so busy with normal life and normal activities of life. I don't constantly suffer either. But then when I do, I really do, it comes over me like a ton of bricks, then I realize YES I have it still. I have the chronic fatigue as well, so I so discouraged with this as well, as I am a woman who loves to do things. Then I totally turn into a different person, like day and night. You would not believe for a minute that I am the same person. I try not to let anyone see me like this, so I kind of isolate, just want to be alone anyways, until I come out of it....
    Crazy thing eh? sharon5650
  13. tinypillar

tinypillar New Member

I had a little over a year between flares, then had some other medical problems that caused me to flare again - still trying to get over this one.

I too thought maybe I was misdiagnosed until I saw that others have flares and then "normal" periods and others have an ongoing flare, and perhaps flares on top of flares.
  14. jenni4736

jenni4736 New Member

The flair I am in now started in November. This has been the worst, the longest, and the most trying one yet.

Before this one, I had been about 14 months feeling fairly "normal". I still couldn't go for a hike or anything, but I could make an afternoon out of shopping. I would be extremly tired, but I could do it without wiping out for days (or months). I felt like I had beat this DD.

Then, my mother in law came to town. Then the holidays came, my father in law came to town... and it was a crap shoot after that. By the time the new year came, my in laws were still here. My father in law had a gaulbladder attack (we thought he had a heart attack).

Anyway, by the time I got them back to North Carolina, I was toast! I spent Jan. and Feb. in bed. March came and went and I worked but it was all I did. By the time April got here, I wasn't sure if I would ever work again.

I have had this for 12 plus years now. We all have different degrees of this at different times. I have to admit until this go around, I had no idea how dibilitating this DD could be...and frankly (if I am honest with myself), I was judgemental of others who had it.

I wasn't sssooooo bad. Why did people with this just lay around I thought?....NOW I GET IT..... WE lay around because just picking my head up off of the pillow takes more energy than I have now.

I am not a doctor Dee- but until this most recent battle, I questioned my diagnosis as well. I could go months and feel "normal".

Now, I would give anything for a day....

jenni

[This Message was Edited on 05/12/2006]
  15. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

combined with weakness.It varies day to day,so it's hard to tell wwwwhat a flare is(I know it's badly hurting,but like I said it happens every few days.Linda
  16. zena01

zena01 New Member

Hi Dee,

I do not get flares or remissions. I have pain all day every day. The last day that could be considered a good day was in April 2005.

Looking back I have had symptoms of this illness since 1987. I'd have aching feet for a month, then costochondritis off and on (now pretty much constantly) back problmes, etc. I never had anything last too long, or be too serious or "disabling", just off and on had these weird things go on. I stopped going to the dr. when I had something weird unless it lasted for awhile because he never found anything wrong with me.

In July 2004 I finally got sick enough to realize there was a problem here, and started seeing the Dr. to find out what it was. I was formally diagnosed that fall - Since then, I have gotten worse every day, every week, and every month, and if it doesn't stop "progressing" like this, I am totally scared where I am going to end up.

I just realized after writing this that maybe I did have flares/remissions....that I just didn't know what they were then, because they were not that bad, didn't last that long, nor did it affect more than one body part at a time and wasn't all over pain. Nor was I diagnosed then. Maybe I really had them from 1987 to 2004? Hmmmmm........ Food for thought.......

Take care,
    Zena/Sherri