Normal MRI

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dzlady, Feb 22, 2011.

1. dzlady

dzlady New Member

So now I am confused. I had to have an MRI with contrast yesterday. I came home, barely able to move from laying for 45 minutes. Back and legs were killing me. But I got a call from the doctors office and she gave me the report and said that everything was normal. How can it be normal when I am experiencing the memory loss, the migraines, and all the other problems I have been having?

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Was this a brain MRI? Iam assuming you have fibro or CFS?

If so those are syptoms of these diseases. Many people have a normal MRI. memory loss-brain fog.

If you do a search on here lots of info will show up. My MRI did show white lesions. were you seeing a nuero? ruled out other diseases?

3. dzlady

dzlady New Member

Yes, sorry I guess I didnt give enough details. I have FM and yes, it was a brain MRI. My GP ordered the MRI. I am tired of feeling the way I am and dealing with the symptoms I have been experiencing. I told my doctor to kill me or cure me, although I know there is no cure. There has to be something that will work for at least the symptoms, or maybe I am just hoping too much. They have ruled out a few things and when I told the dr to kill me or cure me, its like she took notice and did a few more things, ordered a ton of labs and this MRI. I have to have an ultrasound of my ovaries and uterus Monday and will probably end up having to have at least a partial hysterectomy, which I am hoping doesnt make my FM worse, but fear it will. All the blood work up to this last set (which I dont have the results back on yet) have been within normal limits. ANA has been negative many times, which has ruled out lupus, so far.

4. herbqueen

herbqueen New Member

Normal MRI's are not that unusual. I have optic neuritis, numbness all over mybody including face/head, muscle weakness, balance, nerve pain , jerking etc etc what normally would be MS symptoms and test negative. I guess I'm thankful it is negative...but it is very frustrating with no diagnosis. I've seen top neuro's and they say my case is not that unusual in the field of neurology. The human body-especially neurological symptoms are still a medical mystery to the medical field. They know very little even about "known" neuro diseases.
  5. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I have had 3 brain MRI's in the past years and all have been normal, although I get headaches, memory loss and just brain fog. I even get dizzy and the neuro said I have migraine syndrome that happens with people with fibro. It comes and goes, but very annoying.
  6. helen41

helen41 New Member

You probably would be wise to ask for a copy of the report or the CD of the MRI. The diagnosis of "normal" is only as good as the person reading the test. Many people with ME/CFS and migraines have multiple small (punctate) lesions in their brain, which some radiologists call normal. I had a "normal" MRI, then 5 years later, when my problems continued, had another MRI that said my lesions had increased. Only then did I discover I had a number of lesions the first time. They said on the first report it was related to migraines, but I've never had a migraine in my life.