Normal TSH Test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Oct 19, 2002.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I just called my HMO's automated lab results system and found out that my TSH results were in the normal range. I'm the one who asked for the test in the first place, so I certainly don't expect my doc to pursue it further unless I can give him a reason to do so.

I've read some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism in Merck's Manual, and some--but certainly not all--seem to apply to me. I've gained weight (about 10 pounds in the past year or so, though I think it's leveled off since I became aware of it). I have a lot of fatigue, but between MS, fibromyalgia and sleeping problems, it's hard for me to automatically attribute my low energy level to a thyroid deficiency. As for hair loss, I lose some hair every time I brush it, but I don't think it's an abnormal amount. (I'm not losing hair in clumps.)

My main interest in this (aside from explaining the weight gain) is my chronic sore throat and recurrent hoarseness. I have been attributing this to damage from acid reflux, and maybe that is the reason. But somebody on this board suggested the problem might be related to low thyroid.

Now I'm just not sure where to go next. I don't want to either come across as a hypochondriac or actually become one. I have a lot better things to do with my life than keep running to doctors. But one of those things is music, and because of my throat problems, I can no longer sing. (People who actually have heard me sing might be grateful for that, but I still want to be able to do it!)

I would appreciate any suggestions people might have for a next step in determining whether I really have a thyroid problem.

--Laura R.M.
  2. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I just called my HMO's automated lab results system and found out that my TSH results were in the normal range. I'm the one who asked for the test in the first place, so I certainly don't expect my doc to pursue it further unless I can give him a reason to do so.

I've read some of the symptoms of hypothyroidism in Merck's Manual, and some--but certainly not all--seem to apply to me. I've gained weight (about 10 pounds in the past year or so, though I think it's leveled off since I became aware of it). I have a lot of fatigue, but between MS, fibromyalgia and sleeping problems, it's hard for me to automatically attribute my low energy level to a thyroid deficiency. As for hair loss, I lose some hair every time I brush it, but I don't think it's an abnormal amount. (I'm not losing hair in clumps.)

My main interest in this (aside from explaining the weight gain) is my chronic sore throat and recurrent hoarseness. I have been attributing this to damage from acid reflux, and maybe that is the reason. But somebody on this board suggested the problem might be related to low thyroid.

Now I'm just not sure where to go next. I don't want to either come across as a hypochondriac or actually become one. I have a lot better things to do with my life than keep running to doctors. But one of those things is music, and because of my throat problems, I can no longer sing. (People who actually have heard me sing might be grateful for that, but I still want to be able to do it!)

I would appreciate any suggestions people might have for a next step in determining whether I really have a thyroid problem.

--Laura R.M.
  3. teach6

teach6 New Member

The best source of info I have found on the thyroid is on about dot com. It has tons of info to help you decide what to do next.

I've been trying to decide if it's something I want to bring up with my doc next week. Some of us are actually hypothyroid even though our tests come out normal.

When you mentioned chronic sore throat my first thought was of CFS. It is one of the symptoms. Many experience it almost all the time, but I only have it when things are really bad.

I think it's worth exploring and at least mentioning to your doc. Good luck.

Barbara
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My TSH was normal, but because we are not very efficient at using our hormones, I asked my doc to prescribe the lowest dose of Synthroid as an experiment. I feel better when I am on it and my TSH remains normal, in fact it has improved slightly. The doc is very happy with the results.

Love, Mikie
  5. poodlegirl

poodlegirl New Member

I get a sore throat more often than not. It gets scratchy and also hot and on fire. I do get alot of chronic sinus problems and attribute them to CFS. I would imagine you probably do suffer from CFS. Would the MS not cause the throat pain? I am not sure. I know symptoms are different in different people. Keep on trying to find out what is going on. I too feel as though people think I am a hypochrondriac, but I know what I have is real. About your weight gain, alot of meds will cause increased weight.
  6. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

To my knowledge, sore throat is *not* a symptom of multiple sclerosis. I just took a quick look at a definition of CFS, and I don't think it applies to me. For one thing, my MS (which has been verified several times by MRI) also can cause fatigue. Thanks for the suggestion, though. It was worth checking out.

--Laura R.M.

P.S. Barbara, thanks for the referral to about.com. I'll check it out.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/19/2002]