Nortriptilyn and Nightmares

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lin21, Mar 14, 2003.

1. lin21

lin21 New Member

Hi everyone,

Since I increased the dosage to 40mgs I've been having nightmares. I wake up and can't get back to sleep and most nights find myself in tears from these terrible things I'm dreaming about. I just got off the phone with my Doctor and he says he never heard of this before and he thinks it's because of all the stress I've been under. Has anyone out there experienced this?

Thanks,
    Lin
  2. mustgetwell-uk

mustgetwell-uk New Member

I took Nortriptilyn last year. After 1 week I increased the dose to 20mg. I was having good sleep at night, but I was feeling sleepy all day as well and could not do a thing during the day. I stopped taking it after 3 weeks. I do get nightmares quite often, but I dont know what causes mine. I tried Prozac 2 years ago, and that definitely gave me nightmares. I hope you find something that works.

Regards
    Sammy
  3. lin21

lin21 New Member

Thanks again,

I appreciate this info. I think he may be right but it's very strange that it just started when I upped my dosage.
    I have been under alot of stress so he may be right.

4. coyote

coyote New Member

It has been my understanding that most of the antidepressants can cause intense nightmares.
    Maybe you or your doctor should look it up in the PDR
  5. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Lin: I'll give you my story. Been on Celexa since 1994. Switched to Paxil last March. Switched to Prozac in November. Just started Wellbutrin (about 2 weeks ago)and trying Noritriplen (sp?) at night to sleep (hasn't helped sleep). That said, I've been having weird dreams for the past two years. My sleep pattern is I can't sleep more than 4 hours straight (never dreaming) and then tend to wake up every hour or so after that. Feels like I'm awake sometimes because I dream only about people I've know, can see their faces, I am always looking for something/someone that I can't find. I wake myself up often by talking or laughing. It is really getting hard to determine whether I dreamed something or whether it really happened. Example: talking to my daughter about "conversation" the previous day. She's looking at me strange and says, we never had that conversation. Getting kind of scary. Good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/19/2003]
  6. Echos

Echos New Member

I was on 75mg. of Nortriptilyn per night for 11 years. In the beginning I did experience so very vivid dreams, but it eventually slowed to maybe 1 every 2 weeks. I really liked the Nortriptilyn for myself. It didn't really help me with sleep but it did help ease the restless legs I had at night and helped with my depression. An ex-doctor I had took me off of it and started me on something else that didn't work for beans but that's another story. Most anti-d's do cause dreams to become vivid and more frequent. I just wish I could get to the point in my sleep where I can dream. I can't remember having a dream for over a year now. How odd is that?

Echos

[ advertisement ]