Nortriptilyn and Sleep Deprevation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lin21, Jan 15, 2003.

1. lin21

lin21 New Member

It seems like two weeks after I started taking Nortriptilyn my sleep deprevation has worsened. Once I'm up, I'm up for the day and I have a hard time getting to sleep. The Doctor says the drug couldn't be causing this but I'm not so sure of that. Now he increased my dosage so I don't know what i'm in for. Has anyone had this side effect?
  2. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I took this for 6 months. Took 3 25 mg tablets. I'd still be awake 4 hours later.

This week I started Ambien. One pill & I'm asleep in 30 minutes. Now I'm sleeping 12 hours w/o interuption.

Just my experience. Am supposed to do a sleep study in 2 weeks.

best wishes.
  3. amaryllis

amaryllis New Member

I have been on Nortriptyline for about 7 months now and I have found that I actually sleep better than I was previously. I take it just before bed along with magnesium, zinc, calcium and my multi-vitamin and I sleep very well. I rarely wake during the night and if I do, it's only for a brief amount of time. I have to admit that the electric blanket helps lull me to sleep as well.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time with it. Can only suggest you speak to your doctor again and ask either to be switched to one of the many other anti-depressants out there or for some help sleeping (something along the lines of Ambien, perhaps).

Peace.
    ~A