nortriptyline & celexa together???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MaryCecelia, Apr 30, 2003.

1. MaryCecelia

MaryCecelia New Member

First, I want to thank you all for your support & answers when I post on here, which isn't is often as I'd like to post. You all are great people!
    I made my 1st trip to a rheumatologist today, & he, as well as my PCP, thinks I have fibro; however, he ordered blood work & a few x-rays to rule out other things.
    He prescribed Nortriptyline to help me sleep (fatigue & non-restorative sleep are my biggest problems) & Meloxicam (mobic)for pain. I told him I already take Celexa (have for several yrs.), & he said it was okay to take it & the Nortriptyline. Does anyone else take both? How could it be a good idea to take 2 drugs classified as anti-depressants?
    Thanks in advance.
  2. AC77

AC77 New Member

Celexa is not a potent inhibitor of CYP450. In short if you are going to mix a tricyclic with an SSRI, it is best to use either Celexa, Lexapro and next Zoloft and almost never Prozac or Paxil. The dose of either maybe need to be lower.
    You can get a simple blood test to measure your nortriptyline level to make sure it's in the therapeutic range and not toxic.

I am assuming the Nortriptyline dose is low, 10-25mgs? If so, it really shouldn't cause problems. Watch for signs of toxicity. And get the test above as allowed by your doc. In fact I would demand it, on a monthly basis to start, then bi-monthly thereafter. Good Luck