Not able to sweat properly. any suggestions??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by starmom, May 25, 2006.

1. starmom

starmom New Member

For years I have been unable to sweat properly. When I am hot I get a sticky film on my skin. Then the heat just seems trapped in my body and I get really sick. It is really bad this year.

Everyone else seems to have sweat rolling off them when I just have this sticky, trapped feeling. LIke I am trapped in my own skin. The only thing I have found so far is to shower every time I feel this way. Yesterday I had 5 showers, one after everytime I went outside.

If I am away from home I can pour water down my shirt and get some relief, but this drives me nuts.

I drink TONs of water (about 1 gal per day normally, more if I am hot). And my urine is usually light colored, so I am not dehydrated (old camping trick - if urine is dark then you haven't had enough water).

Does anyone else feel this way? Have any idea of something to help this?

Thanks!
  2. starmom

starmom New Member

3. jess

jess New Member

Hi starmom, I have the same sweating problems as you do. It is especially worse during hot weather. I can't get my air conditioning low enough. I have read that inability to sweat is caused by lack of microcirculation to the skin. Dr. Cheney has articles about this on line. Sometimes it feels like I'm running a high fever. My temp is usually sub normal. I have not found a way to improve this condition. If I hear of one I will be sure to post it. Jess
  4. Empower

Empower New Member

I thought I was the only one with this weird phenomenon.

I too don't sweat, and as I result, I just feel sick and have to immediately get to the A/C.

What is up with that? I used to LOVE the summer and the heat. Can't even go swimming anymore!
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I have the same symtpoms but no answers..I know we would feel so much better if we could sweat..Also sweating gets rid of viruses...I too, run a sub-normal temp..

Hope you get some replies with answers,
    greatgran
  6. starmom

starmom New Member

I am just glad to know I am not alone. I also have a subnormal body temp. I do take kids to the pool and swim in summer (though it really takes it out of me!) because I can go shower in the locker room if it gets bad.

I wish there was some way to help this.

Susie
  7. woofmom

woofmom New Member

Count me in as being a non sweater. When I get hot I get extremely nauseous and light headed.
  8. mom4three

mom4three New Member

I don't sweat either. I bring this gel filled wrap that I put in the freezer and then carry it around on hot days so when I feel flush I put it around my neck.

I wish I could sweat..
    I want to be a light sweater...
  9. deb06

deb06 New Member

I have enough sweat to give some to each one of you...!! Deb
  10. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

This may not be very practical, but could be a little easier than 5 showers a day...

Your pulse points are locations on your body where arteries are closest to the surface of the skin.

Try ice packs at ankles, groin, wrists, elbows and neck.

Groin and neck are the pulse points where the arteries are largest.

This is what is done for heatstroke when patient needs body temp reduced ASAP.

Also, rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol, isopropanol) when rubbed on the skin cools as it evaporates.

Hugs,
    Madame Curie