NOT ABOUT EXERCISE AGAIN!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by northwoodssue, Nov 29, 2002.

1. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi All:
    I'm new to the message boards and must say I really learn alot from other fms suffers. This is a wonderful web site!
    I have been reading the posts from and about Mel and exercise, and even wrote one response. However, I had to state that one form of exercise has helped me tremendously. I hope that others will try it if given the chance, and I know that most fms suffers do try other things to help, even if it causes pain later. We do not give up!! I have had fibro for 5 years and the ONLY thing that helps is a gentle, stretching form of yoga. I take classes thru community ed and the classes are designed especially for those with ms, arthritis, fms, etc. They are not the typical high performance, pretzel type yoga exercises that the movie stars seem to to today. They are slow, gentle, stretching of all muscle groups at our own pace. Those of us that can only move one inch during an exercise are working as hard as those who can stretch completely. What this form of yoga does is lubricates the joints and muscles allowing more mobility. I can actually turn my head from side to side and my hips are less stiff. Does it work all the time??? Only if I keep up with it almost daily, which I am not able to do all the time.
    Dear Friends, this is the only thing that has helped ME, and I hope that some of you would try it at your own pace! I also take ultram once a day, which does not stop the pain and sometimes does not ease it.
    Hope to hear from someone who has been helped by this or willing to try it??
    northwoodssue
  2. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi All:
    I'm new to the message boards and must say I really learn alot from other fms suffers. This is a wonderful web site!
    I have been reading the posts from and about Mel and exercise, and even wrote one response. However, I had to state that one form of exercise has helped me tremendously. I hope that others will try it if given the chance, and I know that most fms suffers do try other things to help, even if it causes pain later. We do not give up!! I have had fibro for 5 years and the ONLY thing that helps is a gentle, stretching form of yoga. I take classes thru community ed and the classes are designed especially for those with ms, arthritis, fms, etc. They are not the typical high performance, pretzel type yoga exercises that the movie stars seem to to today. They are slow, gentle, stretching of all muscle groups at our own pace. Those of us that can only move one inch during an exercise are working as hard as those who can stretch completely. What this form of yoga does is lubricates the joints and muscles allowing more mobility. I can actually turn my head from side to side and my hips are less stiff. Does it work all the time??? Only if I keep up with it almost daily, which I am not able to do all the time.
    Dear Friends, this is the only thing that has helped ME, and I hope that some of you would try it at your own pace! I also take ultram once a day, which does not stop the pain and sometimes does not ease it.
    Hope to hear from someone who has been helped by this or willing to try it??
    northwoodssue
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

Yoga seems to be great for us.I went as far as buying a VHS for beginning yoga.And there it sits peeking at me daily wanting me to maybe at least take the clear wrap off!lol I just have'nt gotten the will power yet....to say "the hell with this DD -I'm gonna get my health back!!"
    Thats what I wanna do but sadly have'nt~
    I'm glad it works for you~I hope to join in and I'll be the one praising Yoga next month!!wish me luck!
    love,
    Tracey
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Your talking about yoga made me decide to look for such a class! I have thought about this before, I'm glad to hear you say it's helping you---like you, I know I can't do a more strenuous class (tho there's always someday, especially if you diligently keep at it little by little) but I think a very basic, gentle stretching class is the way to go. Tandy mentioned a video, but I'm finding more & more that I personally do better with "real people" demonstrating, and correcting me if I'm not getting it right. I am also looking to learn to "breathe" better; I imagine your class may do some of that, too....thanks for motivating me!

Pam
  5. Ness

Ness New Member

I have also found that yoga is the one thing that I can do and it really helps..I am feeling alot better lately.

I ordered this tape called Healing Yoga for Aches and Pains. It is designed especially for people in chronic pain....I ordered it off of Collage Video on the internet.

The cost was only 12.95 and w/ shipping it was about 17.95... It is broken into 3 parts about 15 minutes each and very easy to follow and to actually do.

I hope this will help some of you..... I have even been loosing some weight and firming up....Yeahhhhhhh!!!

Peace
    Ness
    [This Message was Edited on 11/29/2002]
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Although, at this time I can no longer practice the hard style of Tae Kwon Do, I still use the stretching and limbering facets of the art, which is very similar to yoga. I agree this is a wonderful therapy. Since all movement is gentle, slow, there are many benefits and much less of the micromuscle damage. Increased mobility, increase in blood flow, and even those wonderful endorphins kick in. Best wishes,
    Karen
  7. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Thanks for replying. all the responses were great with good ideas and questions. The cost of an 8 week course is $40.00 thru community ed and any extra classes you want to go to cost just $5.00. I think it is quite a bargain cause it is exactly the type of yoga we all need. I'm glad to hear that you walk. I used to but it is very difficult because the bottom of my feet are very painful for some reason! I also live in the frozen north country and can't get out to walk for about 7 months - too cold!!!!! I could go to the mall, but is 30 min. away and I'm helping with grandkids. I am an RN too. Did you retire or are you still able to work??? I'm retired due to fms and awaiting a court date for SSD. The best yoga video I've found has been Lilias. It was great to hear from you. Let me know how yoga goes for you.
    northwoodssue
  8. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Tandy: Thanks for responding. It's great that you took the first step by buying the video. Now just give it a try. A hint: Don't try it on a full stomach. I try to do yoga first thing in the am before breakfast and shower. Works for me. Good luck and let me know how it goes. The best video I've found is Lilias yoga for beginners. I found it at Target. She has the closest type of yoga that I do.
    northwoodssue
  9. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Thanks for your great note. I'm so glad you're going to give yoga a try. I hope the class you signed up for is really easy for beginners. If it is too much, just stop and rest or just try a little. Remember, even if you can move only an inch in a pose you are working as hard as someone who can move all the way!!!! Hang in there. Some poses are easier for some of us and some just cannot be done. I've been doing this for 4 years and still can't do yoga mutra (Ithink that's how it's spelled!)
    Probably never will, but keep trying anyway. You're right, yoga classes teach us the breath deeply and all exercises are done with breathing correctly. One of the best benefits I forgot to mention is it teaches relaxation and meditation which is a tremendous help. Let me know how it goes.
    northwoodssue
  10. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

So glad to hear from another Yoga convert. Glad it's helping you. I am going to check the website for the video you mentioned. Is it www.collagevideo.com????
    Thanks for the headsup.
    northwoodssue
  11. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Great to hear from you. I really enjoy your posts - you're usually expressing just what I feel. It must feel great to do at least some of the tae kwon do exercises like you used to!!!! I forgot to mention in my original post that yoga also has another great benefit: Relaxation, meditation at the end of all classes. Great stress reliever.
    This web site is so great. I finally feel like I can talk to someone who REALLY knows how I feel. My husband is very sympathetic and helpful, but he doesn't have the
    DD. Only someone who does knows the trials and tribulations we go through every day.
    have a great day
    northwoods sue
  12. Ness

Ness New Member

(Edited by Moderator to Remove URL)....I have purchased several videos from this company and they usually arrive within 5 days..

Good Luck to You !!!!
    Hugs Ness
  13. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

The word, exercise, means lots of different things to different people. I went from being a jockette who worked out strenuously several times a week, to being able to only do stretches and flexes from my bed when I was bedridden for days upon end. Fortunately, as I heal, I am able to do more and more. The point is that even when I lay in bed very sick, I never stopped moving, and that has been my salvation. We are all different and we are all in different places in our illnesses.

I have found Tai Chi and Yoga to be excellent and gentle movements which have benefits that exceed expectations considering the relatively small amount of effort required to perform them. Swimming and aqua aerobics are also excellent exercises. I was actually able to trot along side one of my granddogs over the holiday when we took the dogs for a walk. I couldn't believe I was able to do this.

I am very grateful for my present remission and hope it lasts. However, I do not think I would have improved to this point had I not continued to stretch and flex when I was at my sickest.

Love, Mikie
  14. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

The Eastern Arts due offer so much in the way of relaxation, meditation, and breathing as another side to the coin! Another benefit of yoga, tai chi, and other arts is that they improve our balance as well.

Hey Sandy--I see you out there *wink* hope you are doing well, gal!

Karen
  15. Ness

Ness New Member

I have found massage to be helpful...but the one thing that has REALLY helped is REIKE..it with the Yoga really helps to keep my body in balance....I found a massage therapist that does myofacial release and the REIKE type therapy...it is WONDERFUL and I would recommend it to EVERYONE...I find that as long as I am doing the YOGA..I only need to go about once a month...that is 70.00 a session..

Before I was able to start doing the Yoga and Deep Breathing I had to go once a week to the massage therapist and that really pulled on the purse strings...

I too use to be VERY active as a matter of fact I was a Personal Trainer and Bodybuilder..I have found that the weight lifting is something that has actually made me worse these days....and I too am so surprised at the wonderful changes I see in my body with the Yoga and I spend far less time doing it than I did bodybuilding and Aerobics.....I do a 15 minute session in the AM and one in the PM..that is total 30 minutes.

I was walking on the treadmill for 30-45 minutes and found that it was giving more pain in my back and feet....Yes we are all different...but we must keep moving or we will STOP for good!!!!!! Even if it is just getting up and walking around your house and gentle stretching.

Peace and Smiles
    Ness
    [This Message was Edited on 11/30/2002]
  16. Ness

Ness New Member

17. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Mel:
    Thanks for your helpful response to my yoga message. I have a question and hope it doesn't sound too dumb, but what exactly is Active Release Techniques??? I've never heard to if and would like to try it. Is it a type of deep tissue massage, or?????
    again, thanks for your imput.
    northwoodssue
  18. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Sandy: It does sound like we have alot in common. I too hated to leave my job. In fact, I changed positions and decreased my workload for 2 years, but still had to quit. I was only working one day every 2-3 weeks, and still couldn't do it. So, finally decided to quit. I definitely waas not ready to quit. I loved my profession. I was an active RN for 18 years. I would like to email you and talk about our common interests. That would be great if its okay with you. But I don't like the idea of posting my email on the message boards. Are there any other ways to exchange email addressess???? What about the chat room. ??? I'm open to suggestions.
    hope to hear back.
    norhtwoodssue