Not an allergic rash after all. Pityriasis rosea

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hunterwillow, Nov 28, 2005.

1. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

I had posted a while back thinking I had an allergic reaction to either my bra, or chlorella. The rash spread from my chin to my feet. I've had a miserable time of it to say the least. Turns out to be pityriasis rosea. Not everyone who gets this rash is itchy. I itch like crazy.

Ironically, this rash is nicknamed "the christmas tree rash", because of the pattern it takes down the ribcage. Cute, huh. I don't look cute, though. Or feel cute.

I've read that it may be caused by a viral infection.(maybe herpes virus 6 or 7) It is supposed to go away on its own in 6 to 12 weeks. Joy.

Anyone else out there been afflicted with this rash?
  2. ephemera

ephemera New Member

are they giving you anything to use? Pills or shots or creams? I've used Cutivate cream & it doesn't do much good. I've had several dermatologists look me over. I've had the rash since 1977. No one seems to really have a handle on it. Sigh...

Hope you get relief!
  3. Hinemoa

Hinemoa New Member

I was told that it is a stress ailment. Aren't they all?

Judicious use of a heat? lamp is helpful. You will notice that the rash does not show up anywhere your skin is exposed to the sun.

I'm not sure about the lamp...come to think of it, it is probably a 'sun-lamp' of some kind. My son was given these treatments along with Lubriderm cream (unscented).

I was diagnosed years ago in NZ and I was told to sunbathe nude! Shades of 'eye of newt'.

I don't remember itching, but my son did.

S.
  4. hunterwillow

hunterwillow New Member

Thanks, everyone for replying. My rash started on the outside of one of my breast. Then each new day I had a new spread. Its going its course. Starting to go away where it first appeared. -Hopefully- it won't last past Christmas. I'm going to cut my fingernails short so I won't scratch myself into an infection.

It is nice to know that I have a good excuse to go to the tanning bed.

It kind of figures that I would get some kind of new affliction. My fibromyagia seems to be in remission right now.(holding my breath, afraid to get too positive.) So I can't complain too much about the rash. It feels like a trade.